Oil Light Slower to go Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new to me 2010 Toyota Avalon oil light goes off Slower after changing oil. Went off almost instantly prior to oil change when cold or hot. Noticeably slower on start up with a tad of engine rattle. This happens on the first cold start and hot starts. I say maybe 2 seconds before the light goes off.

I used M1 5w-30 and Toyota oil filter. This is a cartridge style oil filter. Filter has no end caps....just glued seams etc.

Prior oil was M1 5w-30 with Service Champ oil filter. That filter had plastic end caps.

I guess I am over watching and listing with a new to me car.
Any ideas to what is going on?

WAG> Filter you are now using is not passing oil through itself as fast as the old one. Flow vs filtration.

My guess is its new oil vs used oil. Remember for next oil change.

Some (but not too many) vehicles have the ECM control the gauge rather than a direct input from the sender.

Turn radio loud before starting the vehicle.

Boomer that's my though also.
I may try another filter brand and see what happens.
It hard for me to think any oil filter will out flow Toyota filters........

Last time when I drive my old Isuzu diesel, the engine oil check oil always turns off slower when the filter&oil is dirty (end of OCI). It will build pressure faster when the engine oil is new.

Donald you correct....I think everything is controlled by the ECM....

I just have never seen this much oil light change and start up rattle after a oil / filter change...

Toyota's vvt-i system is vulnerable to any deposit buildup. Depending on what the PO did or did not do, symptoms like a startup rattle from a stuck controller or clogged OCV could be present. A lower efficiency higher flowing filter like Toyota OE could assist by increasing oil flow faster, creating enough hydraulic oil pressure for the pin to unlock. There are also numerous TSB's regarding defective controllers from the factory, suggest you search online for them to see if they apply. But that doesn't answer the red oil light. On a car so new that doesn't make sense. Could it be related to PO neglect? Maybe. Would think it should resolve itself over time using M1 if this were simply a deposit issue. Bad oil pump? Possible but not usually a problem with Toyotas at any miles (unless the pickup screen is clogged). Does the vvt-i system use the oil light as its warning for low oil pressure? Possible, not sure. Would think an associated CEL like P1349 would be present. But I would definitely investigate the OCV (and screen if it has one) for any clogging.

The red oil light on an engine so new is what makes answering this difficult. Need some history. How many miles? What does new to you mean? Where did the car come from? Private sale? Lease? Dealer or used car salesman? Wondering why a 2010 was for sale, and the service history.

Has 50k miles. I purchased in Nov. 2012. Used no oil in 2 months and approx. 2k miles
Oil change records from 25k to 50k was M1 5w-30 @ 3000 miles at the same service center. Unknown / no records prior to 25k miles.

View inside oil filler hole in valve cover has a large view area and it is spotless / like new.

Is there a way I could have install the oil filter Wrong?....my first cartridge filter in 20 yrs.

Not sure, maybe somebody can answer that. So right now after an overnight sit is there an oil light or 1-2 second ticking at startup ?

No records before 25k is a concern.
And since youre in LA, its not easily blamed on wintertime.

Id give the car a few more starts. The first startup after a change always takes a second for the light to go out.

Might be an idea to buy a new Service Champ oil filter and put that in to see if things return to how they were before the OCI.

Unlikely but possible that you have the wrong filter perhaps.

I have never noticed any difference in construction between different filter manufacturers when changing a cartridge filter.

Sometimes bits are different colours etc, but never one having plastic end caps and one not having plastic end caps.

"So right now after an overnight sit is there an oil light or 1-2 second ticking at startup ?"

Oil light stays on 1-2 seconds with maybe a second or two of light engine rattle.

It's just the light and noise is different (tad longer) than before the oil change that's got me over thinking things maybe....

bigjl I was thinking of trying a Service Champ filter.

I recheck Toyota filter number and it's OK.

The Service Champ had plastic end caps with a small ridge (approx. 1/8" thick)on each end cap where it seals into place.

Toyota filter has glued end seams. It had thick glue maybe 1/16" thick on each end of the filter.

I think I am going to try another filter just to see.....

Donald i tried you suggestion with the radio. Appears most all electrical items are controlled by the ECM (come on slowly / ramp up).

If I turn the ignition to on, Wait couple seconds and then start the engine the oil light goes off pretty much instantly when cold or hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back