Good Recaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think they made recaps for cars any longer. My one experience with them convinced me to buy new. A day after buying 4 recaps for my '66 nova in 1973, I came out to go to work the next day and 3 out of the 4 tires were flat. Plus the needed alot of weights to balance them. I only bought them because I was broke, and they were alot cheaper then new tires. Theres no way I would pay close to $100 for a recap tire.,

It just doesn't work out financially to use retreads if you don't own a fleet, especially in light duty trucks. The balance issues alone do enough damage to ball joints, bearings, bushings, &c. to negate any savings made over good quality new tires. I occasionally send 14" 8 ply rated radiales for Nissan work trucks in to Bandag to have them retreaded, it costs about $70-80 here, compared to a new 8 ply $93-117 Firestone or $122 Bridgestone. I warn the customers not to use them on the front due to the balance issues.

There are 3 companies in Italy and Spain that take EU take offs and retread them, they even grind down the sidewall and recap it, so it looks like a new tire. Then they send them to Latin America to rip off honest people. They cost about as much as a new Chinese tire and are worse quality wise.

These tires are probably a similar scam. Generally speaking, tires are used up completely in the U.S., often on two different cars due to the lax/non-existent vehicle inspections, and cannot be retreaded due to the carcasses being completely worn out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the retreads from the above mentioned site were imported from the EU just like the rubbish I see here in Mexico.

If you must use retreads it is important the carcass be in your possession since it was a virgin new 1st or 2nd tier tire so that you know without a doubt it was never under inflated or overloaded. You definitely don't want to be driving around on somebody else's thrown away garbage. Tires are the only interface between your vehicle and the road. They should only be sent to reputable retreaders like Bandag, Goodyear or Michelin, where they only retread the tread and don't do anything silly like recap the sidewall. A recapped sidewall is a sure sign of a rip-off [The sidewalls on the site mentioned above look to me recapped].

you can recap any tire. Just a question of who would want to buy it. The cost of the damage that can occur has outweighed the savings which is why they have all but disappeared.

I have them on my cherokee. No issues from being retreads - I can run them 75 and they're smooth as can be!

I have aired them down to 5SPI and off roaded them, then inflated them and ran them down the highway at 75 on a 100 degree day and didn't throw a cap.

I remember as a kid riding in my parent's '65 Impala crossing the Hanford area in 100 °F noontime summer heat and having a retread peel on a rear fiberglass ply 14" tire. My Dad calmly maintained speed until he found a big shade tree by the shoulder to park under to change it out. It sounded like a helicopter taking off, by the time we stopped the extant tread piece was about 3 feet long and had stripped the chrome off the fender. Cheap doesn't always pay.

The term "Good Recaps" is an oxymoron to me.
My only question is why anyone would want to put them on a personal vehicle, for the reasons outlined here.

they are actually remolds.. a slight difference but significant.

personally I wouldnt buy them ever.

maybe in a huge offroad tire for offroad use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
they are actually remolds..

Thank you Rand, I had no idea what they were called in English. Or Spanish for that matter. I do use some pretty choice language to explain what they are to the customers when I find them on their cars so they remember me and my warning 4 months later when the remold grenades.

I just perused the above mentioned website and came across this JEWEL:

Quote:

Kedge Grip: Our own unique blend of crushed (recycled) glass and crushed walnut shell particle blended into our full grade truck rubber. Kedge Grip acts in a twofold way; first the walnut shell is designed to come out leaving small (approximately 1 mm) size pits in the tread surface that will act as additional siping and create more traction edges to grip the road. The second is the crushed glass which is designed to stay in longer and create a gritty surface to help anchor you to the road. Does it really work? Don’t take our word for it, read some of the testimonials. Also, check out the 4Wheeler magazine (though under a different name that we are not allowed to use any longer due to trademark issues) in the August 2009 issue. They consistently had excellent results with our Kedge Grip.

Come on, walnut shells and crushed glass? Designed to fall out?

and this GEM:

Quote:

Please allow 1-2 weeks normal processing time for this item before shipping.

Code for Please allow us time to canvass all the inner-city used tire stores to find enough bald tires in your size to fill your order, then allow us additional time to remold them.

What I posted recently on another forum regarding TW retreads after being accused of propagating "Myths and hearsay".

From the Tire Industry Association:

There has been a continual downward trend in the use, both domestically and internationally, of passenger automobile retread tires. This is due to the confluence of several factors; first, the capital expense and technical challenges of passenger vehicle radial tire retreading for a retreading facility has not been viewed as providing a strong enough return-on-investment, second, the fact that tire manufacturers do not put an effort into designing passenger tires to be retreaded

See that last part? That's the clincher right there.

Tire manufacturers DO NOT put an effort into designing passenger tires to be retreaded.

All the other tires you listed above, OTR, aircraft tires, some Ag tires, guess what? They are DESIGNED, as in ENGINEERED with tolerances, composition of materials, etc. to be retreaded. Those tires you mention, they are built with steel casings and made to be regrooved and retreaded. Huge, huge difference. Also, those tires have many thousands of miles put on them more quickly than any passenger car or truck tire, allowing for the rebonding process to adhere better.

So again, feel free to run a tire that has been retreaded though it hasn't been engineered to be. Really you are comparing apples to oranges here. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you really don't know what you're talking about, nor do the guys up at TW who are pushing those tires.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton

So again, feel free to run a tire that has been retreaded though it hasn't been engineered to be. Really you are comparing apples to oranges here. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you really don't know what you're talking about, nor do the guys up at TW who are pushing those tires.

Very true. start reading on Michelins pre-mold and custom mold retreads and you start seeing the effort put into some retreads. They also just release siped retreads. siped from the bottom up and from the top down to provide siping all the way through.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I just perused the above mentioned website and came across this JEWEL:

Quote:

Kedge Grip: Our own unique blend of crushed (recycled) glass and crushed walnut shell particle blended into our full grade truck rubber. Kedge Grip acts in a twofold way; first the walnut shell is designed to come out leaving small (approximately 1 mm) size pits in the tread surface that will act as additional siping and create more traction edges to grip the road. The second is the crushed glass which is designed to stay in longer and create a gritty surface to help anchor you to the road. Does it really work? Don’t take our word for it, read some of the testimonials. Also, check out the 4Wheeler magazine (though under a different name that we are not allowed to use any longer due to trademark issues) in the August 2009 issue. They consistently had excellent results with our Kedge Grip.

Come on, walnut shells and crushed glass? Designed to fall out?

and this GEM:

Quote:

Please allow 1-2 weeks normal processing time for this item before shipping.

Code for Please allow us time to canvass all the inner-city used tire stores to find enough bald tires in your size to fill your order, then allow us additional time to remold them.

Toyot uses crushed walnut shells in many of their winter tires to provide additional grip on ice & snow.

Green Diamond remolds, uses silicum carbide granules. They work great. Had them on my last car for winter tires.

If it is for passenger cars instead of trucks.

I can see them being valuable if your target market is Africa or the poorest part of Eastern Europe, Latin America, or Central Asia, driving mostly on unpaved road and never go above 25mph, for vehicles that worth $500USD or less, and medical / death liability of less than $2000USD per person.

For anything else, I'd say even the cheapest new Chinese tire imported into the US market, or good quality used tires that a national chain would install (5/32" or more trend, less than 6 years old, no nail outside the repairable region, with sound structure) would be magnitude better

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
they are actually remolds..

Thank you Rand, I had no idea what they were called in English. Or Spanish for that matter. I do use some pretty choice language to explain what they are to the customers when I find them on their cars so they remember me and my warning 4 months later when the remold grenades.

I'm guessing you stopped reading and didnt see the rest of my post saying I would never buy them for on road use?

I agree with you honest.
11.gif

as far as the walnut shell.. toyo has used that for years in their winter tires.

I'd be more doubtful of the actual rubber tread composition. Probably some 20 year old recipe.

no need to defensive but the correct term for the treadwright tires is remold/remanufactured because it includes new sidewall rubber ?veneer?.

but they are often used interchangeably.

Last edited:
I have used retreads, and I do prefer remoulds (but haven't used them for a decade and a half).

Properly done, retreads can be OK, bordering on "better than OK". Remoulds are generally better than OK, and can be "reasonably good".

There are a couple of Aussie companies who make speciality stuff, in popular (A008) tread patterns, in soft compounds, that some of the boys drag race with...that indicates that they CAN stick, to both the road and the carcass.

The argument that the designers never designed a carcass to be retreaded is the same as they never designed your water pump to be rebushed, or your car to be repainted.

If I was serious off roading, at $340 for a cooper, I'd definitely pay $100 for a retread with a soft mud pattern...can't even get a Chinese tyre for that price.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
.....The argument that the designers never designed a carcass to be retreaded is the same as they never designed your water pump to be rebushed, or your car to be repainted........

But tires are not at all like water pumps and fenders. Tires are made out of perishable materials.

OK, steel and aluminum can corrode, but compared to rubber, these materials last a long time and their deterioration is obvious. Aside from surface cracking, there is no indication that a given tire is in danger of an imminent failure - meaning lack of surface cracking is NOT a good indicator of a good tire.

If you compare a truck tire (as in 18 wheeler variety) to a passenger car tire, it should be clear that they are built quite differently. A lot of these differences have to do with making the tire able to survive retreading.

no need to defensive

Sorry Rand if my post appeared sarcastic or defensive, I honestly didn't know they're called remolds. I did read all of your post the first time and I did realize you are against them. I was commenting that I see them frequently, but I didn't know they had a name.
11.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back