Getting Nauseous From Bald Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: FWD....

Better tread at the rear prevents fishtailing....and stabilizes direction if traction is lost up front...

That said...given the typical understeer of most FWD cars, having a bit more pressure in the rear tires (vs those up front) will neutralize that tendency....

....but no tread is a danger to everyone on the road...and the driver with (illegal) lack of tread is liable for ANY/EVERY damage in an accident caused by ANYone ELSE....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Haven't had the time to put the new hubs and tires on my Caravan this winter.

Front tires are so bald the front end shimmy is making me nauseous.
sick.gif

Is this normal?

Which part? The shimmy, the nausea or both?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: DesertTundra
Just ask at those USED TIRES $25/UP places for PULL-OFF tires...typically 1/3 the cost of retail/new.

Three was a tire dealer in my home town that would sell tires that we called "may pops". They literally had just enough tread left to be legal. They were five bucks a piece.

Probably not the smartest buy ever. But you had to pass inspection. Of course this same shop performed the inspection and was willing to overlook a few things if you came in every month to replace a five dollar tire.

I guess you missed my follow-up that defined PULL-OFFS as NEW tires that were taken off for an upgrade...

I did NOT mean to imply one should buy old used tires for just passing inspection.

Kita, I don't think I implied it was something he/she should do. It was just an anecdote of something stupid I used to do. I think the crime here was I hijacked the thread trying to add some humor without explicitly saying I was dumb and no one should do that. I guess I need to use more emoticons.

This series of events was twenty years ago in a very small town. Where a kid like me could also get away with driving to the feed store in town when I was underage because that's the way it was.

I'm sure neither of these things would be ok now. If only because the tire store which is still operating couldn't accept the liability and risk being sued.

Originally Posted By: DesertTundra
Just ask at those USED TIRES $25/UP places for PULL-OFF tires...typically 1/3 the cost of retail/new.

Three was a tire dealer in my home town that would sell tires that we called "may pops". They literally had just enough tread left to be legal. They were five bucks a piece.

Probably not the smartest buy ever. But you had to pass inspection. Of course this same shop performed the inspection and was willing to overlook a few things if you came in every month to replace a five dollar tire.

I think Maypops were one of the tire brands of Bald Eagle tire co.

Unfortunately, OP is not alone in driving around with tires that have little ability to protect those in that car...and us in ours....

I have a relative who won't consider getting even used tires to replace his baldies...his response to my recommendation that he let me look for some pull-offs was, "no thanks"...scarey...

Unfortunately, OP is not alone in driving around with tires that have little ability to protect those in that car...and us in ours....

I have a relative who won't consider getting even used tires to replace his baldies...his response to my recommendation that he let me look for some pull-offs was, "no thanks"...scarey...

HaHa well unfortunately. This is where Darwin meets the road. Literally.

Last edited:

It not quite that bad. I'm fully aware of the tire condition and drive it like a baby carriage.

Last snow storm, some women in big SUV drove off a straight and level road right next to me, taking down someones mailbox in the process. I'm like; "Wait a minuite, I have the bald tires and she runs off the road"? Sheese..

Think it was a Toyota Tundra as I recall...

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

It not quite that bad. I'm fully aware of the tire condition and drive it like a baby carriage.

Last snow storm, some women in big SUV drove off a straight and level road right next to me, taking down someones mailbox in the process. I'm like; "Wait a minuite, I have the bald tires and she runs off the road"? Sheese..

Think it was a Toyota Tundra as I recall...

A toyota tundra is a truck, not an SUV. How does one confuse a truck with an SUV? lol

Originally Posted By: hypervish
A toyota tundra is a truck, not an SUV. How does one confuse a truck with an SUV? lol

It was dark out at the time.

Anyway, I put two of the new tires on today so the roads are safe once again.

consider checking/servicing your suspension (struts, shocks, whatever) if you feel nauseous on your caravan. It's not a good sign to feel that way and I suspect that it's due to worn shocks/struts.

Plse take care.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
consider checking/servicing your suspension (struts, shocks, whatever) if you feel nauseous on your caravan. It's not a good sign to feel that way and I suspect that it's due to worn shocks/struts.

I think it was mainly the tires. I put new tires/wheels on the rear, swapped the old rear tires to the front and the wobble disappeared.

There must've been something seriously wrong with those tires beyond low tread depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back