Another school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another school shooting took place today (January 10, 2013) in California. This is a state with some of the most strict gun control.

OMG so the teacher talked the student down. Didn't need anything more than two brass clackers. Well played, sir.

Wonder how it would have turned out if the shooter had an AR?
Or the teacher a handgun?

Either of those scenarious could have resulted in 1+ dead...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wonder how it would have turned out if the shooter had an AR?
Or the teacher a handgun?

Either of those scenarious could have resulted in 1+ dead...

Had it been the shooter only, society would most likely be better off. Sounds cruel but think about it...

So was this person mentally ill?

Usually they shoot themselves, wonder if that was the game plan.

The article that Panda Bear linked to makes it look like the victim just pushed the shooter too far. Maybe this was just a nasty case of two kids making some errors in judgement.

Sure, that there was a gun involved makes it worse than a typical fight between two kids. If the shooter felt he didn't have any other options though I can kinda understand it. Still, if that's all this was then they should both be smacked around a little by their parents and allowed to get on with their lives.

Okay I've removed the childish posts and if you quoted them they are gone too.

STOP with the trolling!

Also the armed guard was snowed in so he was not there.

Bill

Looks like shotguns are the next "assault weapon" ... some of them look pretty "scary".
whistle.gif

I didn't have a lot of nice things when I was a kid (only a few pairs of pants that I shared with my younger brother per school year.) I was constantly harassed by some of the bootleg expensive-clothes-wearing city kids. I ended up getting into fights all through middle school, usually as a result of them physically trying to check my pants tags to see if I had already worn them earlier in the week (in middle and highschool, at least for me, it was all about having lots of cool clothes.)

I can distinctly remember how miserable I was all the way through middle school. Even on the worst days I never once thought about murdering any of those who terrorized me and every other nerd who's parents couldn't afford to buy them Jordans and a new Starter jacket every year. Maybe it was different for me, because I weighed only 10-15 lbs less than I do now in my late 20's back when I was in middle school, which gave me the size to fight back when things got physical. Though I never actually liked fighting and never started anything, I never backed down, even if it meant losing.

Things only got better for me after I got my first job at a brick yard at age 14. I also started playing highschool football, so the big kids there kept those same middle school kids I used to get picked on by in check. If you tried hard on our football team, other seniors weren't allowed to haze you or mess with you.

The point of my sob story: I feel no sympathy for these whiny little [censored] who think bringing a gun to school is the answer to their bully problem. On the flip-side, I feel no sympathy for the bullies, either. After all that has happened recently, why would any one think picking on some poor little nerd might be a good idea? When I was in high school, a nerdy white kid like me simply fought back. Now adays, they shoot back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks like shotguns are the next "assault weapon" ... some of them look pretty "scary".
whistle.gif

At least they can't blame this shooting on AR's and build momentum on their argument with it.

The bottom line is, we are going to see an increase in rules and regulations to follow when buying any weapon from all these shootings.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe he was bullied and decided to take out the bully..... Food for thought. He was talked down, obviously he wasn't on a psychotic rampage.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The point of my sob story: I feel no sympathy for these whiny little [censored] who think bringing a gun to school is the answer to their bully problem. On the flip-side, I feel no sympathy for the bullies, either. After all that has happened recently, why would any one think picking on some poor little nerd might be a good idea? When I was in high school, a nerdy white kid like me simply fought back. Now adays, they shoot back.

Everyone has their own way of handling bullying. It's been a repetitive reaction over and over for some kids to bring guns to school and take out their revenge. Those that are very mentally tormented and don't feel they have the physical power to handle the situation will snap and use weapons to address the situation and even go for revenge. Many schools have metal detectors and guards around because of this very reason.

Another thing everyone concerned about school shootings should look at is bullying. I think it has been address quite a bit over the last 15 years because it's been a factor in many past shootings. It needs more attention IMO - just like mental health in the country. Kids need to be monitored well at school to detect bullying going on, and kids who are bullied need to report it so strict actions can be taken by the school and the authorities.

When you can address and control mental illness and bullying you will see school shootings decrease.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe he was bullied and decided to take out the bully..... Food for thought. He was talked down, obviously he wasn't on a psychotic rampage.

Perhaps... But there is a spectrum of psychosis, of intelligence and capability to plan.

WHo knows...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Everyone has their own way of handling bullying. It's been a repetitive reaction over and over for some kids to bring guns to school and take out their revenge. Those that are very mentally tormented and don't feel they have the physical power to handle the situation will snap and use weapons to address the situation and even go for revenge. Many schools have metal detectors and guards around because of this very reason.

Another thing everyone concerned about school shootings should look at is bullying. I think it has been address quite a bit over the last 15 years because it's been a factor in many past shootings. It needs more attention IMO - just like mental health in the country. Kids need to be monitored well at school to detect bullying going on, and kids who are bullied need to report it so strict actions can be taken by the school and the authorities.

When you can address and control mental illness and bullying you will see school shootings decrease.

100% agreed. One of this biggest bullies I had growing up was in music class (the only class we shared, because he had a learning disability - not mentally handicapped, but slow to learn.) Mr. Alto, the aptly-name music teacher, was too afraid or cared too little to do anything about the harsh comments this kid and his gang spewed, let alone the physical abuse some of us took.

FWIW, Mr. Alto never taught us anything. I think he was going through a eff-it-all part of his life or figured we didn't care enough to bother with, but I can't remember a single thing I learned in any of the years I had him. The best days we had were when he played a VHS tape of Boys to Men, where most kids in the class, including the bullies, would fall asleep. He showed this video a couple of times during the school year, and it was long enough that it ate up a few periods each.

This was a common theme in my middle school, where teachers never intervened, letting kids eventually resort to violence, because if some one told on the bully, he or she would have it worse in the end. So, had I not been able to stand up for myself, I'm not sure what I would have done. I'm certain it wouldn't involve using a deadly weapon, though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back