Landrover defender - oil change not done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had an issue with my Landrover service. I believed they did not change the oil, but I was charged for it. The oil should be a green colour, but after the service the oil was grey, so I sampled it and had it tested.

Here are the results, Oil sample taken 3 days after oil change.

1) Oil supposedly used in service:
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
Viscosity @ 40°C cSt 54.9
Water Content %wt 0.0
PQ Index 13

SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS

Iron ppm 1
Chromium ppm 0
Aluminium ppm 3
Molybdenum ppm 108
Copper ppm 0
Lead ppm 0
Tin ppm 0
Nickel ppm 0
Silicon ppm 7
Sodium ppm 2
Boron ppm 72
Vanadium ppm 0
Calcium ppm 3151
Phosphorus ppm 746
Zinc ppm 818
Magnesium ppm 13
Barium ppm 1

2) Oil sample taken from engine:

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
Viscosity @ 40°C cSt 55.3
Water Content %wt 0.0
PQ Index 10

SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS

Iron ppm 7
Chromium ppm 0
Aluminium ppm 5
Molybdenum ppm 107
Copper ppm 1
Lead ppm 0
Tin ppm 0
Nickel ppm 19
Silicon ppm 2
Sodium ppm 66
Boron ppm 0
Vanadium ppm 3026
Calcium ppm 763
Phosphorus ppm 860
Zinc ppm 92
Magnesium ppm 0
Barium ppm 1

It looks like your numbers are off around sodium on the used sample...

Which oil is this and what was the previous OCI?? What year is the Defender??

Last edited:
With 7ppm iron on "fresh" oil (I doubt it could be remnant at that quantity) my guess is they didn't change the oil.

Maybe rushed service attendants forgot, or looked at your mileage since last change, and knowing you had full syn in there figured they could say they changed it and it wouldn't harm the engine.

But that is just conspiracy theories which aren't warranted.

The best trick is to just watch them next time if you love your ride.

If I am working on a guys car that I like I'll chat with him the whole time about how he likes his ride.

A guy I work with loved a guys new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the guy let him test drive it down the highway after fixing a dented mag with a heavy hammer (he hit a pothole probably going WAY too fast lol).

Or you can really research how to do your own oil change on your model if it has a dipstick and doesn't require using a computer or scanner to change the oil which is the direction many lux models are going today...

Originally Posted By: Falken
With 7ppm iron on "fresh" oil (I doubt it could be remnant at that quantity) my guess is they didn't change the oil.

The 6 ppm could be from dilution with the old oil.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Plus, iron shows up often in new oil. Looks like pretty fresh oil to me. Whether it's the oil you specified is another matter.

one post, then gone?

But there is nothing shown here that proves this allegation one way or the other. We are talking parts per MILLION here.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

YEP, looks like new oil to me, the Fe is real low and is just from the previous fill.
Modern oils vary in colour between gold and light grey. Duckams was green, but I don't know of any other green oils.
Which oil is this supposed to be??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back