Westinghouse Generator at Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
Anyone have any experience with the subject electric start 7K-8.5K watt generator on sale at Costco 1/2/13 - 1/27/13 for $700 delivered?
Thanks

I have no experience with the mentioned generator, but Westinghouse has no real manufacturing facilities, just somebody trying to sell you something based on a previously well-known name. It would be the same as buying a Sansui TV or a Packard Bell computer. I suppose the generator would be fine until you need parts. The replacement parts division for a Westinghouse would probably be non-existant.

It looks very Chinese.

I believe it's always best to purchase a portable with a Honda/Subaru/Yamaha engine and a name brand generator head. Northern Tool sells such a unit, and the prices are acceptable.

Its a "value/budget" line generator. The engine may be a Chinese copy of a Honda. Having said that it still maybe decent given good care. Other engine companies (mentioned already) are more well known. But you certainly can buy it, fill it with gas and run it for a tank of gas with electric heaters plugged in as a load. If it does not run properly during your break-in then return it. While they do have policies on generator returns, I think you can return ones that are broken.

Briggs all the way.How many years have they been in business? And they finally outlived that horrid Tecumseh/Lauson brand.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Briggs all the way.How many years have they been in business? And they finally outlived that horrid Tecumseh/Lauson brand.

Nothing wrong with Briggs small engines, but I've also had good experience with Tecumsehs.
Any old tech flathead small engine seems pretty hard to kill.
You might eventually see pretty high oil consumption, but the engine will produce power for a very long time.
I've always thought that flathead small engines were remarkable for their longevity, given the low prices of the equipment on which they're typically installed.
The engines themselves must have been quite cheap to build.

Teco-Westinghouse spun off of Westinghouse and makes and maintains industrial generators.

This appears to be a product of Westinghouse Licensing corporation. This part of the former Westinghouse Electric rents the name out for whoever pays a few dollars. Regardless of quality.

So ignore the brand name,

IMO, that ~$800 "Westinghouse" portable gen is about $400 too much.

I hope you don't expect to get an ~8000 watt Honda for $800. Probably more like double that.

Joel

I've got a horror fright 5500 w/ a robin/suburu engine. it's pretty chicom all the way. Besides being hard to (pull) start, it's done the job.

We have a million year old Makita, made in Japan that came with the cottage. Thing runs like a million bucks and has had no problem running the compressor, water pump....etc at the lake.

We used to have a big electric start Yamaha, but my parents left it with their old house as part of the "package". That thing was AWESOME.

I'd kijiji/craigslist a good brand-name generator instead of buying a Chinese one. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back