Is it ever OK to key someone's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask because I was keyed twice in the last couple of years. The first time, it was on the passenger side, front to back, all the way. The second time, it was a hard keying about a foot long.

Neither time did I think I deserve it. After noticing the it, I wondered if I had parked improperly. The keyings may have been the result of me parking too closely. Even so, given the tight parking situation, it should be understandable. I had left enough space for them to get out by going back and forth 2, at most 3 times. I don't think I deserved the keying.

Last edited:
Define "Keyed." Like.. Was the whole car scratched up, maliciously, maybe a message scrawled in it?

Or, were there perhaps a scuff on the door?

Also, were other cars keyed, if random?

Also, what did the repair bill run you?

And you are SURE there was no incident before these?

I don't think there's ever an instance where damaging somebody's car is a appropriate. Its cowardly.

Regarding your post. Normally when people key a car its due to an ongoing dispute. Rarely a random event. Your admitting parking close to people on a continual basis. You don't see any problem with it, but somebody's sending you the message that they do. Its likely the neighbor you park close to the most. In front of or behind you. When you see them give them they eyeball. If they look down or away you have the answer. Because a coward does that, and thats how a coward will respond.

Suggest you reconsider what your perception of parking close is. Moving to a better situation would be the best option.

Last edited:
Would you (or the person actually doing the keying) actually do it with a cop standing there watching? If the answer is no, then I don't believe it's ever okay to key a vehicle. I also suspect somebody is at least thinking that you did something wrong to deserve the keying. Vandalism usually doesn't involve getting keyed unless several vehicles get keyed.

It's a crime to do that. A person that will damage your vehicle on purpose is a criminal.

did you pull in and lay down on the front seat and kick your door open, banging it into someones car side? I have seen people do that.

I have also watched people in an empty parking lot pull up behind the only other car in the lot until their bumper contacted the other car, mashing the plastic bumper then they walked away- 30 other empty spaces were near the car they damaged.
my guess its your parking making them made, but paint is expensive

No. There really isnt. If you know that someone damaged your car, call the police and press charges. If you dont have time for that, an eye for an eye seems attractive, but it is still vandalism.

Ive said it before, Ill say it again...

Between obesity, giant vehicles and self-centeredness, you just can't park near others...

Originally Posted By: lizpat
I ask because I was keyed twice in the last couple of years. The first time, it was on the passenger side, front to back, all the way. The second time, it was a hard keying about a foot long.

Neither time did I think I deserve it. After noticing the it, I wondered if I had parked improperly. The keyings may have been the result of me parking too closely. Even so, given the tight parking situation, it should be understandable. I had left enough space for them to get out by going back and forth 2, at most 3 times. I don't think I deserved the keying.

I cannot believe you had to ask if it was OK. Its NEVER OK. The people with keys are adults. Unlike a 8 yr old who tried out a slingshot and broke the window.

I had a friend who caught two guys in the act of keying his SRT4. The guys ran and jumped in their running car, and my friend jumped through the passenger window and tried to turn the car off. Basically they pushed him out of the car at 25mph. He was ok, but the kids were arrested later that night and insurance paid him out.

Victory!

I dont think it is ok to key someones car because that ^ could happen to you.

It's never ok. It is a cowardly act that only a puss would do. Incidentally, when I go to the box store, grocery store... I always park way out front where nobody else is around me.

I live in Tennessee, guess it happens, but never had that happen to me, but there could be a first time..........

Originally Posted By: pbm
....another 'joy' of living in New York.....

+1 OP try and find another parking space, or change your parking habits.

If you have something to say to a jerk, it is best said with a bar of soap on the front windshield. You can more effectively get the point across without being illegal about it.

No...And the places that I've lived (Texas and Virginia) would probably be a good way to get a beating or worse, or arrested, or all three.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
I had a friend who caught two guys in the act of keying his SRT4. The guys ran and jumped in their running car, and my friend jumped through the passenger window and tried to turn the car off. Basically they pushed him out of the car at 25mph. He was ok, but the kids were arrested later that night and insurance paid him out.

Victory!

I dont think it is ok to key someones car because that ^ could happen to you.

I am not sure that was a smart thing to do.

I would rather have my car keyed than be pushed out of a car at 25 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back