local tire store will not mount my mail order tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used walmart several times for my online orders. Always been happy with them and I get lifetime balance and rotation also.
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

This is more about profitability than liability.
I don't think most shops make much mounting tires.
They make more selling tires, which they then mount.
I suspect that the local guy is miffed that you didn't allow him to make some money selling you tires, so he won't mount the ones you bought online.
Fair enough.
When you need some work this shop could make some money on, take it somewhere else.

Never had a problem with my local tire store mounting and balancing my mail order tires. The total price with tax and disposal fees is $112 for four. He gets some other work from but not a lot. My regular mechanic also does it even though he sells tires also. He'll even install mechanical parts I bring myself. In fact he prefers it. We have an understanding that if that part is defective I pay for it's replacement and labor to replace it. I have all Fords so I always order Motorcraft parts for him to install. Still saves me lots of money using mail order Motorcraft parts versus him installing parts he buys at the local auto parts store and adding the shop markup. This is not a one man repair shop. They've been in business for 40 years and service heavy duty trucks as well as cars as well as doing towing of cars and trucks.

Whimsey

I haven't had a problem when bringing in the tires still in the mailing packaging. The Wal-Mart who installed the last set of tires purchased online did check the speed rating of the tires to make sure they met/exceeded the door placard, and verified the +0 size was an OEM option.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not buying the liability story.

I can somewhat see their side of it. If they sell you one of their own tires and it has a defect, they turn it back to their suppliers. If they mount one of your tires and it has a hole in the sidewall, you would blame them for ruining your tire and they would probably have to buy you a new one. I'm just sayin'.

At work, we no longer allow customer to bring their own parts in. People would go online and buy RockAuto's $12 ball joints. Three weeks later they would be back with two bald front tires and a broken ball joint expecting us to take care of them. It isnt worth it - even just to help them out.

Just make them sign a waiver assuming all risk.

The independent shop I worked for would get all sorts of sketchy parts. Often junkyard A/C compressors (no drier, no orifice tube..."just put the compressor on!") We would put them on but the car owner would have to accept the responsibility. If it fails, he or she would have to file a labor claim against the wrecking yard. (good luck with all that)

Problem was that you could explain this to the ghetto dumb-dumbs and they would still bring back the car. "You put that part on wrong....it don't work."

My boss didn't care. He had their money and had their signature assuming all risks if they took him to small claims court.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

A waiver simply further proves the point that the professional (viewed as the expert) acknowledges that there is an issue, yet ignored it and continued the job. Not a good thing IMO in the event of an incident.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

A waiver simply further proves the point that the professional (viewed as the expert) acknowledges that there is an issue, yet ignored it and continued the job. Not a good thing IMO in the event of an incident.

Not if it is policy for all "customer purchased" parts. I know a local indy shop owner who does this, and the guy tried to sue for a real cheapie website deal when his cheap rotors cracked. Got tossed out of court rather quick.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Walmart will mount tires but they have to be new.

WalMart here will mount tires you bring in new or used. If used they have to be able to pass state inspection however. Also, they must match exactly the tire size and speed rating on the door jamb sticker. They won't mount oversized tires or tires with different SR's.

The OP's point really should be moot. The simple reason being it is becoming super easy to find a price online and then get it matched at a local tire shop. Maybe not a Mom & Pop type but most big stores/chains match online prices. We even have shops here that beat the online price by a %.

I see no reason to buy online unless it is an issue with low national stock on the tires and only the online place has them or maybe they are specialty tires or such. For regular everyday name brand tires for cars and truck I wouldn't bother with online OTHER THAN to find the lowest price I could.

Find your smoking online deal then take it to a local tire place that will match/beat it and then there is no issue with M&B.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

WalMart here will mount tires you bring in new or used. If used they have to be able to pass state inspection however. Also, they must match exactly the tire size and speed rating on the door jamb sticker. They won't mount oversized tires or tires with different SR's.

...unless you take them in OFF of the vehicle. Then there's no door jamb to look at.

They told me no for low profile tires, but would gladly do new regular profile tires.

The signature means you know the origin of your provided parts and the service provider need not worry.

However it would still be big enough of a legal fee pit for big targets like chain or franchise. So they refuse to even do it to be a target for ambulance chasing lawyers. Small businesses have not much to lose and ambulance chasers would not even bother.

Hey now! Lets not go throwing around a word like "professional" when describing my former employer.
crackmeup2.gif

He's a heckuva' diesel mechanic (miraculous with OM617s and M21s) and does pretty well for himself but I do not currently work for him for a reason.

We seldom lost small claims court cases and when we did it was because one particular Dallas County Justice of the Peace would always rule in favor of the consumer. They assumed all risk in writing.

My last set of tires (Hankook H727) was mounted and balanced at the local Firestone for $80. That includes lifetime rotate and balance. They gave me the Tire Rack install price, even though they were bought from Discount Tire Direct. That seems like a pretty good price to me.

I went with them because the tires from our other two cars are from Firestone/Expert Tire, so we can get them all rotated/balanced at the same place.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

...unless you take them in OFF of the vehicle. Then there's no door jamb to look at.

This is true. They will mount tire to rims you bring in. Guess I was just thinking more along the lines of the OP's situation where he would most likely bring the tires and vehicle in to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back