P0422

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually caused by searching out the cheapest gasoline (e.g. Stop and Shop) and thinking you're smart for saving a few pennies by buying low octane junk for a turbo car...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just replaced a cat for a friend on a 2004 CTS 3.6 with 189k miles. The first time the code popped, we cleared it, ran some redline cleaner and hoped for the best. It came back about 500 miles later. The GM service manual specifically says NOT to replace the o2 sensor unless that code was also set. She only had the cat code so on when a new cat converter and light has been off for last 2500 miles or so.

BTW - we used a Davico direct fit convertor for $145 shipped...LOTS cheaper than dealer and better than a universal fit one.

So --- to the poster -- you may be able to buy some time, but you will need to get a converter now or very soon.

Please remember to come back here and update your reply when P0420 returns before September 13, 2013 :) Would you like to bet on it??

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just replaced a cat for a friend on a 2004 CTS 3.6 with 189k miles. The first time the code popped, we cleared it, ran some redline cleaner and hoped for the best. It came back about 500 miles later. The GM service manual specifically says NOT to replace the o2 sensor unless that code was also set. She only had the cat code so on when a new cat converter and light has been off for last 2500 miles or so.

BTW - we used a Davico direct fit convertor for $145 shipped...LOTS cheaper than dealer and better than a universal fit one.

So --- to the poster -- you may be able to buy some time, but you will need to get a converter now or very soon.

Please remember to come back here and update your reply when P0420 returns before September 13, 2013 :) Would you like to bet on it??

LOL!! No bet there!...I know it will..but she is planning on trading in the car anyhow and had to fix it fast and cheap so she could pass her inspection which was due. She is getting a new car after the 1st of the year.

Last edited:
Quote:

A stretched timing belt will retard the cams and depending on the trigger can also retard the ignition. This leaves more unburned air/fuel in a richer ratio entering the cat and gives it more work to do. A cat that would otherwise be good enough fails to do the job; the cat isn't faulty but isn't working well enough either.

Seriously?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Usually caused by searching out the cheapest gasoline (e.g. Stop and Shop) and thinking you're smart for saving a few pennies by buying low octane junk for a turbo car...

I put 93 octane in for $3.47 a gallon today in Dorchester.

By the way.. Code hasn't come back on since cleared. Maybe was a one-time fluke.

^^ Oh... and for all fellow Boston residents: 1607 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester (Boston) MA. $3.47, 93 octane cash only. You're welcome.

Timing belts usually don't stretch; they break. But don't worry about it. I mean, if it breaks, it breaks. You can't prevent it from breaking. They don't yet make a spray can which you can spray on the timing belt to prevent it from breaking.

It will take few thousand miles before P0420 code would start coming back often enough. I drove my vehicle(s) with the code reader connected to it permanently and could erase the code even without looking at the reader while driving. I had lot of practice doing it. I don't know which reader/scanner you picked up. But if it has Mode $6 data, you can look at the test results and would know how close the catalytic converter test was passed. Eventually, the test would start failing all the time and you will start getting the P0420 code every time you take the feet off the gas pedal while driving over 55mph.

But what do I know? I only have ten years experience with P0420 type of codes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back