Octane booster and why they contain kerosene ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey surely they would have to submitt all products contained with in a packaged product, simply because if they didnt and lets say i drank some by mistake (thinking it would make me run faster) and i got sick and the doctors needed to treat me they would immediately look at the MSDS sheet and if there was TEL hidden inside and they didnt state it they could be sued for it ?
Am i right ?

Zimnismoboy34, Greetings from North Carolina.

In the past I experimented quite a bit with octane boosters.
As others have posted, most commercial products sold as octane boosters are slightly better than useless!
I used to use 104 plus (MMT) at LARGE concentrations $$$ in a non emissions controlled application.
(As much as four 8 oz cans to 5 gallons premium unleaded in a "street legal" 13.5 to 1 compression race motor, fun times.)
This gave good results with the exception of fouling plugs occasionally.
Of course this concentration would wreck a catalytic converter and foul the O2 sensor in short order.

By far the best results I have obtained were with aromatic hydrocarbons.
Specifically Xylene and Toluene.
These are sometimes used as paint thinners and may be found at paint supply houses.
Alternately they may be purchased in bulk from industrial chemical supply houses.
The aromatics (are) were standard additives for octane enhancement in years past in fuels sold to the public.
So adding aromatics at up to 40 percent has been reported to cause no issues.
(I have added at this concentration and more!)
I would advise you start with about 5 percent and work up or down from there as needed. I have no experience with Acetone.

My second option of preference was Ethanol.
Of course Ethanol has more undesirable side effects than the aromatics.
Such as: leaning the mixture, being slightly corrosive, attracting and combining with water, among others.
Up to 10 percent "should" cause no issues.
Use with caution however regarding the leaning effects which can melt expensive things in the engine!

I don't recommend methanol as it is far more aggressive in attacking the fuel system components as compared to ethanol.

The benzenes, propaline oxide, analine oil, and tetraethylead are all quite hazardous to humans, and are generally not recommended for anyone not accustomed to handling of such substances.

I must admit that I am not a chemist by a long shot.
What I post is simply from my hands on experiences.

My 2 cents for what its worth.
I hope this is helpful.

Good Day Sir.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Zimnismoboy34
seems you were right on the money there !! hmmm i wonder ?

Brian supplies fluids for highly specialized products by military contract, some of which are classified. I guarantee you the coolest things in that product are NOT listed on MDS.

hello there Rickey, i thank you for the input on the forum post, i have been experimenting with a fuel mix already of ethanol based fuel at 10% concentration and i have added 15% toluene, im then going to monitor the effects and possibly then play with Xylene.
But i must admit it seems the most effective booster are long branched chain iso alkanes, they have the most desirable effect of fuel as a whole as they react with the full amount of fuel in the tank and change its composition effectively, they make it a catalyst and the Naphtha helps the fuel burn cleaner, i have some c9-c10 aromatic naphtha and im going to be experimenting on fuel consumption along with the ethanol fuel and some Mineral spirits added in for good measure .
Will report back on my results as this car is sensitive to fuel and i must admit and bad variations on the fuel and it shows det on the log straight away .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back