M1 5W-20 ok in 2012 Honda Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a case of Mobile One 5W-20 for my Honda and come to realize that the factory calls for 0W-20!

I am in Southern California. Should I be concerned about the difference between 0w and 5w? Are these engines picky about using 0w, especially in a cold start?

Thanks!

I dont think you will have any issues at all mechanically, its only the warranty that would concern me. if your worried, return it in exchange for a case of 0w20 M1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It will be just fine...

+1 thats the exact oil in my 6 cyl accord right now.

Check the owner's manual and see what the exact wording is.

Some manufacturers carefully word things so that you can ONLY run a certain viscosity. Others just say "recommended".

How many dealers are using 5w20 in cars calling for 0w20? Quite a few I bet...

If the containers are unopened and you have the proof of purchase dockets swapping them for the correct grade should be an easy process.

Stop posting until you swap them.

Last edited:
The OM uses the term "recommended" but then goes on to say that an API spec 0W-20 should always be used.
In LA, a 5W-20 would be thinner on start-up most days of the year than will the 0W-20 I plan on using in my Accord.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
If the containers are unopened and you have the proof of purchase dockets swapping them for the correct grade should be an easy process.

Stop posting until you swap them.

I would agree with that. Besides we don't know which Model or MY the OP has. In fact if you can, I'd for a refund and buy a Japanese OEM 0W-20. They're lighter than all OTC 0W-20's, particularly M1 0W-20.

And for the record, M1 5W-20 is one of the heaviest API 20wt oils with it's HTHSV of 2.75cP and 160 VI.

Originally Posted By: buster
How many dealers are using 5w20 in cars calling for 0w20? Quite a few I bet...

Might interest you to know that I was just at a Honda dealer today (tech there is a friend of mine, and he lets me use his lift to change my Audi's oil). I asked him what bulk oil they had in those "guns" of theirs: he said 0w20 and 5w20.

They have the 0w20 in bulk because basically every Honda on the showroom floor runs it, and tons of old ones can use it too.

Only exception is the S2000, which they simply use quarts of Mobil 1 10w30 by the case for.

Yes, Honda spec'd 0w20 for most new Hondas and Acuras and also back to 2001.

So it becomes the bulk fill for dealers.

Ford did the same with 5w20 so that's what you'll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back