Oil/Filter options in Lincoln Aviator - V8 32v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Frequent reader, rare poster.

I just purchased a high mileage Aviator (138k) which will be my wife's DD.

My general thoughts on oil/filter has always been to keep it simple, buy what's on sale and change it every 4k.
Pure classics are my "normal" choice, but I've run about everything. Same with oil.

Never any problems.

With the Aviator I was considering a higher quality filter and oil that can safely get me a longer oci. Lincoln recommends every 5k.

My mechanic told me the 4v heads are sensitive to dirty oil so I'm curious if that's a good reason NOT to look to a longer oci.

If I use an M1 filter would any synthetic yield ~8k oci?

Just looking for some general info at this point.
thanks

Last edited:
Why not start off with M1, drive 5000 miles, and pull a UOA. You can test your way into a longer interval, but you should find out where you stand now before beginning the experiment. Good luck.

I have a friend who traded an '02 in, still running great, with 180k, but needed a trans.

Those 4V heads are no more sensitive to dirty oil than any other head. No VCT, no VCT body screens, etc.

Extended OCIs will be fine, assuming your oil of choice and your driving habits support them.

I have my personal favorites but will not touch my mom's Lincoln MKZ setup. MC semi-syn, MC filter. The engine is so smooth and quiet I'm leaving it alone. Not your engine, but it would appear Lincolns like MC.

Originally Posted By: Turbocharged2.3

My general thoughts on oil/filter has always been to keep it simple, buy what's on sale and change it every 4k.
Pure classics are my "normal" choice, but I've run about everything. Same with oil.

Since you are in Kansas, go to your neighborhood Orschelns Farm store, buy a case or two of TropArtic synthetic blend that they have on sale about every month for $2.50 a quart (or less), put on a Motorcraft or Wix oil filter and sleep well.
The TropArtic oil is basically a Motorcraft clone (both made by Conoco/Phillips) and you can't go wrong with a Motorcraft filter with the silicone valve or a Wix.
Before I totaled it by hitting a deer, my Mark VIII 4.6/32V had no problems with the oil or either filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I have my personal favorites but will not touch my mom's Lincoln MKZ setup. MC semi-syn, MC filter. The engine is so smooth and quiet I'm leaving it alone. Not your engine, but it would appear Lincolns like MC.

+1 MC oil and filters are high quality and are cheaper in price. I would stick with that and change it every 5k

Tom - This one got a new trans just a few thousand miles back. Seller said 2-3 months ago. The way it ran and shifted felt a lot closer to a new truck than one with ~140k on it.
Maintenance records from lincoln should be in the mail right now.

Kruse, thanks for the Orscheln TropArtic head's up. Not on sale right now, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

As for now - just bit on AA's Castrol oil change special with the $2 PureOne upgrade. Actually - I'll probably swap that out for the QS Defy(syn blend)/PureOne option and save a few bucks.

I've considered the oil analysis before. Something I'll keep in mind.

Originally Posted By: Turbocharged2.3

Kruse, thanks for the Orscheln TropArtic head's up. Not on sale right now, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Orschelns has it on sale November 22-25 for $1.99 a quart. 5W-20, 10W-30 or 5w-30. No limits, no rebates. Pretty sure they'll still take off 5% for 4H, FFA or military.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back