"....Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows
cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier
starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when
the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a
higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high
speeds, or under extreme load conditions....."

which shows in both the BRZ & FRS owners manuals.

Thanks. Just realized that.

I really like this car.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7443&page=2

A formulator on one of the Scion forums said this:

Quote:
Lower HTHS values have demonstrated better fuel economy, but because the oil is thinner at high temperature, care has to be taken to ensure engines recommending these viscosity grades are appropriately designed to use them. If an engine has been properly designed to use lower viscosity engine oils adequate film thickness should be available from the recommended viscosity grade under conditions specified by the engine manufacturer.

Now if you plan to subject the engine to higher loads and temperatures, than what the manufacturers suggests are normal, as the owners manual in this case suggests, one might want to consider an oil with a higher number after the W. Conceptually, there was however, an old rule of thumb which suggested that you have more potential for wear from an oil that is too thick at low temperture than you would get from one that is too thin at high temperature.

Quote:
As you have said, higher VI, simply put, is good. However VI is also a complicated subject when you layer in the effects of temporary and permanent viscosity loss as well as any fuel dilution during use of the oil.

Just for clarity sake when trying to understand low temperature performance what the numbers in the table are telling us is that a

0W?? oil is supposed to guarantee that the oil is thin enough to allow an engine to crank fast enough to start at -35 deg C and thin enough to properly pump at -40 degC.
5W-?? oil is supposed to guarantee that the oil is thin enough to allow an engine to crank fast enough at -30 deg C and thin enough to properly pump at -35 degC.
You want the oil to be thin enough to pump at 5 deg C lower than the oil being thin enough to allow the engine to crank fast enough to start to ensure that the oil gets to all the places its supposed to be!

Some may say it never gets that cold where I live! However the lower low temperature viscosity results in reduced oil drag in the engine, improves oil flow and reduces fuel consumption. Also increases power.

The FRS is built at the Subaru/Fuji Heavy Industries plant in Japan, so I believe they would both use the same factory fill by Idemitsu. The dealer fill is probably different.

-Dennis

Should be a good test of TGMO once the UOA's start rolling in.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Arent all the Toyotas running 0w-20 syn for the most part now?

Yep and all Hondas.

I think the NSX and S2000 are the only exceptions.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Arent all the Toyotas running 0w-20 syn for the most part now?

Yep and all Hondas.

I think the NSX and S2000 are the only exceptions.

I was taking about current production 2012 models.
Although I was somewhat surprised that the high rev'ing Civic Si is now spec'd for 0W-20 although Cdn Honda dealers have been using 5W-20 instead of the spec'd 5W-30 for the past couple of years.
It will be interesting when the "new" NSX comes out what oil will specified considering that it's a high performance hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back