Ok to use filter with small dent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly as the title suggests.

I picked up a Motorcraft filter (PH2 equivalent) last night and didn't notice this until it was already on the car.

I have other oil filters I can use, but I used the last of the 10w-30 QS Torque Power Synthetic oil I had and I will have to come up with another half quart of something if I switch this filter out.

That said, is it okay to run with that small dent on top? It looks like the bypass valve and the business part of the filter is at the bottom. Not sure what at top can be affected by this, anyone know?

20121118171852.jpg

You're probably fine. I wouldn't buy one as such but if its on there, no worries. The top dome of the can is often filled with a spring anyhow and you've hardly a major dent in it.

I wouldn't use it. The burst strength of the can might be compromised.

The spin on engine filter is effectively an engine component.

I got a few like that from Autobarn on a bulk order. Never used one for a full oci. Thought I'd save them for a flush if I ever went past my oci. I don't trust a compromised can.

I'm sure this things are built to take hits from rocks and stuff like that, so I wouldn't worry too much...

That is minor. I'd not give it a second thought with the bypass on the thread end, a dome end bypass maybe.

Run it!

Six months ago, I would have said, "use it." Today, I won't.

In a recent tour of Fram's R&D/test lab, I saw how dents can turn into sudden failure. The odds are certainly with you that nothing will happen, but a sudden surge of pressure...? Say you have heavy oil, do a cold start and rev the engine. The relief valve is slow to respond and you get a momentary surge to 150 psi (or more). The internal pressure may suddenly pop that dent back out and the metal is fatigued along the crease when it does. Maybe it splits then or maybe it waits until you are really in a bad place.

And these sudden pressure surges are fairly common in engines and why the burst pressure on an average filter is 200 psi and 300 plus on the better ones. I haver read this and have been told this, but have also observed high pressures now that I have an independent, undampened oil pressure gauge on my truck. As a result, I am very careful of my cold start driving and plan to go back to a lighter oil. I have seen oil pressure that's way, way higher than the relief valve setting... so that's not an absolute relief in the case of cold, thick oil.

My thinking is that is there is a hard crease, don't take a chance. If it's a depression... maybe.

My thinking is also that if the filter comes out of the box with ANY damage or problems (and I now inspect the filter before I start the oil change), I return it for a new one. If I inflict the damage thru carelessness, then I have to decide on the risk.

One good thing in this case, MC filters have thick cans. I recently did the service on one of my tractors and it had a Napa Gold 1775 on it. It ended up being a little stubborn coming off, as filters sometimes can be, but I was appalled that the can was so thin that it collapsed inside the wrench. With very little force, I might add. Very thin. Autopsy pics to come once it's thru drooling. Replaced it with a P1, which will be replaced by a Fram Ultra in about 100 hours or two years.

While there is no guarantees in life, I would not sweat that dimple dent. Had it been a sharp line crease dent, I would change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back