Buying a generator after Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after 11 days without electricity on Long Island I think its time for me to get a generator. I plan on getting a 6500 watt portable along with a manual transfer switch. My neighbors were running either the Honda EM6500 or the Generac 6500 GP. Boy what a difference in price between the two. If you had a choice between the two and price was not an object which would you buy for dependability and long term intermittant use (during the next blackout on LI). Any advise would be appreciated.

Honda, although the other Japanese makes like Subie (Roybin) make good engines as well. The extra cost of an inverter system is probably worth it especially if you have a house full of expensive electronics you want to run. I use an old Dyna set with a Briggs L head, works for me, but there are a lot slicker designs out there now.

Kinda letting the horses out after the barn burned. A Sandy might not happen in your lifetime again. Lets up not. But if a generator is not maintained it goes sour. Age of fuel is a big issue plus general issues associated with long time inactivity.

Last edited:
Honda. I've had two Generacs (3200 & 5500) in the past. Both worked but seemed to get finicky (hard to start) at times. Both were also quite noisy.

I now have a Yamaha with a smaller Honda as a backup. Had to save a long time for it and ate a lot of PB&J sandwiches for lunch but we got it done. I am very pleased with them. They're very quiet with clean, inverter power. With the electric start, my wife has no problems starting it.

Don't forget to test/exercise your generator periodically.

I'm going to purchase a Winco 6500 watt with a Honda engine. This is a tri fuel generator. The guy down the block from me had the Winco 9000 watt and ran it 24x7 for 12 days straight off natural gas. Boy was I impressed.

It's not necessarily all about the engine ?
The quality of the electronics if looking at a inverter type matters no ?

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Kinda letting the horses out after the barn burned.

The Power Utility around me is not as unreliable as the OP.
I ordered 2 EU2000. Did I lose power. Yes, for 16 Hrs.
Between the Northeast Blackout a couple years back, to having to shovel buckets of water till 3 AM during Sandy, I want a generator just because . Everyone has different needs based on different circumstances.

Farbie - Consider fuel usage and fuel availibilty.

Think about fuel. It takes a lot of fuel to run a big generator for a week or more. Remember that gasoline was difficult to get in many areas. How much fuel do you need to run for a week? How will you store it?

Gasoline goes bad, so you need a plan to rotate your stock (use it in your vehicle, refill the cans).

If you buy a generator that runs on the same fuel you use for heat like Natural Gas, Propane or Diesel, fuel storage is easier. Diesels will run on heating oil. Natural gas sounds ideal, but it may be shut off in a disaster.

My 2000 watt Honda EU2000i will not run everything in my house at once, but kept us comfortable for 10 days. It ran 233 hours and burned 19.5 gallons of gasoline in that time, only 2 gallons a day. I have enough gas cans to store 20 gallons, it was just enough for this event.

My friends and neighbors with larger generators (5KW plus) generators burned 5, 7 or even 10 gallons a day.

My next door neighbor runs his 5KW generator on propane drawn from the same big tank he uses for heat, hot water, cooking, etc. He had plenty of fuel for the 10 days we were without power.

If I get a larger generator, it will be a Diesel. I heat my home with oil, so my heating oil tank would supply the generator.

Last edited:
You save fuel with the Honda if an invertor type. They do sell regular ones from Honda that are simply old school generators with decent engines.

For myself a Rigid generator powered by Yahama is fine however its thirstier (5 gallons per day). However I found the cost difference(vs invertor $2000+) I could buy 500 gallons of gasoline which is 80-100 days. That will never happen over my lifetime unless something goes really arry.

I bought my Dyna (made by Winco) in 1986. Aside from one problem with a little carb gum it has beeen easy to care for. I have two motorcycles with good size tanks, plenty of fuel in each and with a hunk of fuel line and a hose clamp I can plug the bike tank right into the genny. Not hard to empty the car tank with the fuel pump if you understand the fuel system wiring. Worst problem we ever had was when a cruise ship snagged the submarine cables (2) feeding the place. It's not just storms ya have to worry about.

Last edited:
Remember Generac sells more than one series. The GP is their budget line and is NOT in par with the Honda you mention. However it should be fine for occasional use. B&S makes the majority of the electric generator part for most companies, so then it what engine.

Keep in mind you need a transfer switch and a plan for fuel. There will be storms you can plan for and grid problems you never see coming. Diesel, propane are also alternative fuels.

IMHO you are better off with a slightly used one that is a beast than a brand new one less beastly.

Good idea to plan for the load also. A digital peak hold clamp-on AC ammeter can help. If you have no water pump you might be able to get by with a 3000 watt one.

While the load varies, most gasoline generators run a 3600 all the time. So buying a huge one when you do not need it might not be the best idea.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Remember Generac sells more than one series. The GP is their budget line and is NOT in par with the Honda you mention. However it should be fine for occasional use. B&S makes the majority of the electric generator part for most companies, so then it what engine.

Keep in mind you need a transfer switch and a plan for fuel. There will be storms you can plan for and grid problems you never see coming. Diesel, propane are also alternative fuels.

IMHO you are better off with a slightly used one that is a beast than a brand new one less beastly.

Good idea to plan for the load also. A digital peak hold clamp-on AC ammeter can help. If you have no water pump you might be able to get by with a 3000 watt one.

While the load varies, most gasoline generators run a 3600 all the time. So buying a huge one when you do not need it might not be the best idea.
Non inverter generators run 3600 to produce 60 cycle AC. Inverter units are not engine speed dependent for frequency.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Kinda letting the horses out after the barn burned. A Sandy might not happen in your lifetime again. Lets up not. But if a generator is not maintained it goes sour. Age of fuel is a big issue plus general issues associated with long time inactivity.

Thats what we hear in CT said after Irene. Then after the storm a month after Irene. Here were are a year later (almost to the day) and Sandy shows up.

While my generator cant really pay for itself, during Irene and now Sandy it sure made my life a whole lot easier. First hot shower with the power out made it all worth it to me.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

For myself a Rigid generator powered by Yahama is fine however its thirstier (5 gallons per day). However I found the cost difference(vs invertor $2000+) I could buy 500 gallons of gasoline which is 80-100 days. That will never happen over my lifetime unless something goes really arry.

The cost of fuel is not the issue. The ability to obtain fuel is the issue.

For a time after Sandy, gasoline was not available at any price - some areas for a day, others for more than week. Even as gas stations came back on line, there were very few of them open at first. There were long lines and rationing was imposed by the state. In my area, it was more than a week before the gasoline supply was close to normal.

You should plan to have enough fuel on hand for at least 5 days, 7 is better. If you plan to use gasoline, that is easier to do with a small, fuel efficient generator - assuming a small generator meets your needs. If you can fuel your generator with something that you already have a large supply of (propane, heating oil, natural gas) it is much easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisJH

While my generator cant really pay for itself, during Irene and now Sandy it sure made my life a whole lot easier. First hot shower with the power out made it all worth it to me.

The hot shower was nice. Not having to discard the contents of my refrigerator and freezer for the 4th time in 3 years was even nicer. If we have one more 3 day power outage, the generator will have paid for itself.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Donald

Non inverter generators run 3600 to produce 60 cycle AC. Inverter units are not engine speed dependent for frequency.

True, but significantly more expensive and they seem to stop at a certain size. If you have big motors (well pump) you need a 5K normal, 6K peak generator and and inverter one would be through the roof.

I have a 25 yr old 5 kw portable. It is enough to keep me pumping water. I have run 1 tank of gas through it powering the house. 95% of its usage was putting a house together. A yr ago, after living by candle light for 4 days, I spent 40$ on carb parts for it. I got it running pretty good and put it away. Pre Sandy, I test fired it and it ran turribble. Eventual fix was replacing a main jet needle that had its tip eaten off in a yr. The jet was pot metal under a thin brass plate. I stole a needle from a snow blower carb and fiddled with the float level some more. I got it running very well. The power never went out. A weeek later, I added stabilizer to the tank, topped it off and then ran the carb dry. I prolly should start it once a month. But I dont.

Originally Posted By: ron917

The cost of fuel is not the issue. The ability to obtain fuel is the issue.

For a time after Sandy, gasoline was not available at any price - some areas for a day, others for more than week. Even as gas stations came back on line, there were very few of them open at first. There were long lines and rationing was imposed by the state. In my area, it was more than a week before the gasoline supply was close to normal.

If you are using gasoline, depending where you are you may be able to drive to get it. Fill up yuor car before the storm and if you need to you can most likely drive to get gas once a day or every other day.

PA had plenty of gas and is about 60 miles away for many Jerseyans. I think many could have drove inland and south for gas as well. Or to upstate NY. Certainly not preferrable but doable to keep things running.

Another option is to not run the generator 24/7. Run it when you get home and maybe through the night. Shut off when you are done. If you have the heater set up with it, crank it high while you are on generator and let the nouse naturally cool at night. Fridges/freezers will be OK as you are not opening them at night.

Like you, I'd reccomend at least a 3-5 day supply of gas, probably 10-20 gallons on hand. Remember to fill the generator up before the storm and then fill your gas cans. Fill every gas can, the big ones and small ones. Use stabilizer and rotate it every 6-12 months.

Run your generator under load at least every other month (I do it every month) and CHANGE THE OIL REGULARLY WHEN IN USE!

My advice:

1) Purchase a construction style generator (much easier to service and repair) (remember you will be doing 50 or 100 hour oil changes)
2) Purchase one with an 11HP or 13HP Honda engine, it's the HP that does the work.
3) Ignore the watt ratings, some 9HP models are rated at 5500W (a lie)
4) Avoid larger inverter generators, they are exceedingly expensive and impossible to repair.
5) Avoid Chinese
6) Always remember a water heater element is 4500W and requires 11HP.
7) Conventional generator heads are easy to repair, and replace and will last a lifetime.
8) Store it in the garage or inside.
9) Portable units can be moved to another house if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back