Rear axle pumpkin overfilled too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again everyone,

Perhaps another non-issue here, but I wanted to run it by just in case. Yesterday I ended up servicing the rear axle by myself for the first time ever as I'm constantly trying to learn the do-it-yourself techniques.

I ended up overfilling it a bit, as I later found out the capacity is 3.75 pints (or 1.875 quarts). Thinking that you fill it to the bottom of the fill hole (Ford manual said to fill it between 1/4" to 9/16" below the bottom of the hole), I actually put 2.5 quarts (5 pints) in.
33.gif
So it's overfilled by about 5/8th of a quart at the most. With my oversight, should I go back and remove the excess? Thanks again everyone.

Yes remove the excess.

I drained and filled my power steering fluid a tad above the full line and it became heavy. Took it down to the mid point, and all is well.

Just place the front end up on ramps, block the rear wheels and apply the ebrake. Un-screw the oil fill plug and let some of the fluid out. It is not a good idea to overfill rear or front ends.

I have always just filled mine to the fill hole. No issues. Most of the guys I race with do it also. You will not suffer any ill affects. You may see a drop in performance or MPG, but I doubt it as it is just not enought to make a difference. It is not like over filling the crankcase.

I think that as long as the axle was even front to rear and side to side when you filled it, it's fine. I've always just filled axles, diffs, and manual transmissions while on the ground until the fluid comes out of the fill hole. If the maker wanted less fluid in it they would have moved the fill hole down.

The service manuals often say "1/4 in below the fill hole" or show some picture with the level just below, I've never worried about it.

If there is a vent on your axle make sure that its clear of mud etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back