Is Amsoil 0W30 worth the extra cost over M1 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen very little sheardown with RL over the years. When we were tracking, that was our oil of choice. You could cook it all day long, like any good POE, and it just shrugged it off.

Short trip moisture is its biggest enemy, though.

Assuming I have the correct Volvo engine this is the Castrol oil finder result. What I think is odd is that Volvo in the US are using a 7500 mile OCI, as Castrol is the Volvo recommended oil, so their site should agree with what Volvo are saying.

VOLVO S60 T5 2.4i 20V (2401cc - 191kW)

Engine (PT)
EDGE 0W-30 A5/B5 (a)

Alternative recommendations, >2006: Engine - Miles Max
Engine - Km Max

You would be surprised to know how many dealers here in the US do NOT pour Castrol oils. That would be most of them. Several of the local ones around here were pumping brand "V", at least up until a couple years ago.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Indeed, but boundary layer things are going on in those fragile bottom ends! They need THICK oil and lots of it!

Yeah, those SRT8s are pretty soft down there.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I've seen very little sheardown with RL over the years. When we were tracking, that was our oil of choice. You could cook it all day long, like any good POE, and it just shrugged it off.

Short trip moisture is its biggest enemy, though.

That's my experience as well, in fact even their high VI 0W-30 and 0W-40 grades are very shear stable.
Short trip moisture should not be an issue in a mild NC winter, particularly with a turbo application. Of course RL is overkill for this application as good as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back