Found out something interesting about my sunroof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday evening, I decided to look into getting the sunroof fixed on my car. The glass is separating from the frame and is pretty much fully separated on the driver side.
I have a Webasto Hollandia 700 that was installed in my car prior to me purchasing it. A quick google search of that model sunroof led me to a site where I found out its under voluntary recall for this exact issue. Apparently it eventually fully separates and flies off the car. Usually at highway speeds.
So, I filled out the claim form and sent it in. During this procedure, I found the closest Webasto installer is Scion of Tri-cities.
This morning at 9am I got a call from Webasto about the claim. Just verifying the information they had was correct.
At about 3pm Scion of Tri-Cities called me to set up an appointment for the repair.
So, I have an appointment on Saturday the 10th at 1pm for them to replace the glass.
Im happy with how its going so far.
smile.gif

It never hurts to look into stuff like that. I had a 1988 honda accord that was well out of warranty. It started smelling like gas. Come to find out they recalled the fuel filler neck and replaced it due to it rotting out. This was in 1997 when I called Honda.

In a past life I installed sunroofs along with audio/video, security and remote starts. Most that I installed were ASC with some Webasto also. I believe Webasto and ASC are the same company now, not sure who bought who. Anyway my favorite to install was a ASC500, has a large opening and fit and finish was top notch. Until probably six months after the first one I installed came back. The rear tabs on both sides were separating from the glass. No problems, called ASC and they told me to use a glass panel from stock and they would send me a replacement. All fine and good until about my 30th vehicle with the same problem. Of course according to them no other shops were having this problem... Finally they did admit that the glass panels hadn't been primed where the rear tabs were urethaned to the glass. They realized we were also a glass shop so finally they sent me a jig for placement of the tabs and we charged them for primer and urethane. That happened for almost a year then after that never another problem.

I have slowly retracting seat belts on a Ford and although it's a widespread issue, it's only a TSB, not a recall.

Since I am out of warranty, no chance getting it fixed. I then realized that there were several other items that I just put down to quality not thinking they were things I could get done under a TSB.

Apart from checking for recalls, it's always worth checking the latest TSBs on your car.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
I have slowly retracting seat belts on a Ford and although it's a widespread issue, it's only a TSB, not a recall.

Since I am out of warranty, no chance getting it fixed. I then realized that there were several other items that I just put down to quality not thinking they were things I could get done under a TSB.

Apart from checking for recalls, it's always worth checking the latest TSBs on your car.

Yup, my car had TSB out for bad rear catalysts. One went out at 30k and the other at about 35k. Ford replaced both of them under the emissions warranty. Had to kindly explain that coverage to the Ford dealer the first time because the service writer kept repeating 3/36 like some kind of broken record. Even though I was under the mileage limit I was a couple years over. Finally a tech overheard the argument and intervened.
Didnt have a problem the second time.

I had an '01 STS with an aftermarket Webasto sunroof. I liked how it automatically closed when you took the key out. But with the shade all the way back, it rattled in the frame on rough roads. I never paid to get it looked at, and traded the car after a short while due to other issues.

A co-worker bought a 2009 Camry a while ago with a Webasto roof, and he had his replaced due to that recall. His doesn't rattle like mine did, and it's tight as a drum.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock

All of my Fords have slowly retracting belts too. One buckle is installed backwards as well. Ford just isn't very good at seat belts.

As for sunroofs, I'm sure plenty do fine, but they seem to be a troublesome enough feature when factory installed that I really wouldn't want to mess with the variability of an aftermarket one.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I had an '01 STS with an aftermarket Webasto sunroof. I liked how it automatically closed when you took the key out. But with the shade all the way back, it rattled in the frame on rough roads. I never paid to get it looked at, and traded the car after a short while due to other issues.

A co-worker bought a 2009 Camry a while ago with a Webasto roof, and he had his replaced due to that recall. His doesn't rattle like mine did, and it's tight as a drum.

Yeah, mine is tight. Just this issue causes a lot of wind noise.

This thread is one reason I will NEVER own a car with a sunroof...it's a complete, instant deal-killer unless the car is FREE (and maybe even then).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
This thread is one reason I will NEVER own a car with a sunroof...it's a complete, instant deal-killer unless the car is FREE (and maybe even then).

The OP has an aftermarket sunroof.

If you actually research factory sunroofs, you would see they are remarkably trouble free. Personally, I don't care for them. But many owners love them and never have problems.

Yes, they are so trouble free that in my family, we have five factory sunroofs...ONE does not have problems! They leak, they rattle, they whistle, they creak...if you're really lucky, they get stuck!

The sunroof on my E430 was mandatory option, all the 2000 E430 had sunroof coming from Germany. If I like to have no sunroof I had to special order and it cost more. I think sunroof on LS400 was standard.

My S2000 has no sunroof, and the soft top is down most of the times !

Yes, they are so trouble free that in my family, we have five factory sunroofs...ONE does not have problems! They leak, they rattle, they whistle, they creak...if you're really lucky, they get stuck!

Do you clean out leaves, twigs, dirt, etc?

Do you lubricate the tracks and mechanism?

Do you flush the drain tubes - yes, many cars have water drain tubes?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The sunroof on my E430 was mandatory option, all the 2000 E430 had sunroof coming from Germany. If I like to have no sunroof I had to special order and it cost more. I think sunroof on LS400 was standard.

I would willingly pay a premium to NOT get a sunroof.

Took it in today. Got there, signed the form. They called a shuttle and we went to the mall and wandered around. About an hour after I signed in I get a call that it is done. They picked us up and my car was waiting for me. All out of place surrounded by Toyotas.
The new glass looks so nice. I wonder if there is anything I can put on it to keep it from getting etched with water spots.
Big time difference in wind noise. It was so quiet on the way back I didnt know what to think. I dont remember it being this quiet on the highway.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Me too. although I never had a problem with my sunroofs in my cars, i didn't care for the added weight or occasional rattles.

I would also, but mainly because in most cars with sunroofs my driving position has me leaning to the right resting my elbow on a center console/armrest/seat and three fingers of by left hand barely gripping the steering wheel. It's hard on the back and not very safe.

Generally if a car has a sunroof and a manual trans I have to get someone else to move it.

I don't think I'd go that far but like others I have NO interest in something that is just lokoing for problems. I know many folks that after the car is four or five years old have numerous issues with factory items, rattles, failed power mechanism, leaks, ect.

I also dont like the fact that by its very nature it reduces the structural integrity of the roof, and adds weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back