Broke a Horror Freight Impact Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I did it again - I broke another HF impact socket.

Last time, it was from doing struts on the Saturn and the socket cracked when I used it to do a final torque of the strut-to-knuckle bolts.

This time, I was tightening the strut-to-knuckle bolts on a Gen 3 Prius with my IR W7150 "monster" impact. I had been holding down the trigger for about 2 sec, and the 22mm nut had turned about 90 deg...slowly...and then I suddenly noticed that the edges of the nut were being rounded off. Sure enough, the socket had cracked. I am guessing that the impact was putting out near its 780 ft-lbs of power and the nut was being tightened to 250+ ft-lbs (yea, I know).

I had used this socket for the removal/install, so when this happened, this was the socket's 7th use of the day (and possibly its life):

25857634-40BE-45BC-8EA5-43903F2B4701-9650-0000048F74770719.jpg

50E0E1DF-7F2A-4484-8B3A-5CA0B2AC8EE1-9650-0000048F6DD226C2.jpg

2809D62B-2133-4B26-832E-CD39B38CA23F-9650-0000048F71381D13.jpg

I think it is time for me to upgrade to some Snap-On or IR impact sockets.
48.gif

HF has several different levels of impact sockets. The cheapest ones I've seen (which I haven't seen recently) had a shinier finish and I believe were made in China.

Of the ones they currently sell at my local store, the cheapest ones are Cr-V and the better ones are Cro-Mo. All the ones I've seen recently were Taiwanese at my local store.

So, what do you know about this set? Was it one of the cheaper sets? Cro-Mo or Cr-V? China or Taiwan?

I have had pretty good luck with mine. the good ones are not shiney. they are like a powder black. I've got some hf stuff that must be 20 yrs old and are still in great shape. the socket you broke is too deep. if you look at how deep it is you will see how a socket with the hex just at the end would be much stronger.

remember when sears craftsman had that lifetime return for new policy? Everyone used those tools now sears is not the most trusted store

I've broken a lot of sockets. Harbor Freight, Craftsman, and others. It's easy to do if they are abused (780ft-lb torque)

While there are many factors that go into pricing a manufactured item, and IMHO, there is a pretty linear relationship between price and performance. HF has a business model that emphasizes quantity and low price. Quality is based on price point. Buying USA or European make means that higher quality is part of the higher price. I buy HF when I don't think I'll need it more than once in a while, e.g. angle grinder. If I know I'll need it to work regularly, I do my best to source USA, for more durability. Being able to get a free replacement is good, but the time(s) it takes to go to HF are a cost too.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
While there are many factors that go into pricing a manufactured item, and IMHO, there is a pretty linear relationship between price and performance. HF has a business model that emphasizes quantity and low price. Quality is based on price point. Buying USA or European make means that higher quality is part of the higher price. I buy HF when I don't think I'll need it more than once in a while, e.g. angle grinder. If I know I'll need it to work regularly, I do my best to source USA, for more durability. Being able to get a free replacement is good, but the time(s) it takes to go to HF are a cost too.

Exactly! Its HF...its supposed to break. You get what you pay for. I like HF and buy from there often, but only when I need something to get a job done and don't care about the quality because it won't be used often.

I have a set of older HF deep impact sockets and I abuse the heck out of them and they've never shown any sign of fatigue. They are a lot thicker walled than the one you show here. I have had them for about 10 years so maybe they're making them cheaper now?

If I'm at the gym and drop a 5 pound plate on my foot ill break a toe. If i drop a 45 pound plate ill break a toe but after a few hours of swelling the picture will be gruesome for all my internet buddies. I don't see how its the HF tool's fault when you are doing overkill. The HF cracking did you a favor so you didn't have to go to the store and buy a rounded off lug socket (matco makes good ones, good for junkyard wheels that have locks)

Not a surprise at all. I have a set of impact sockets that have used to break apart and put back together several rusty old farm tractors for restoration or repair, and the sockets are still in perfect condition and will outlast me. I have a deep 11/16 that has been used countless times (it's the common size on Ford N's), and it hasn't failed.

The difference? I didn't buy them from Harbor Freight, and I don't consider tools disposable (I'll never understand someone who does).

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
I don't see how its the HF tool's fault when you are doing overkill.

How is that overkill? I use impact sockets with that much torque on a regular basis without an issue. It's an impact socket, and should be designed not to fail when using it as intended.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I have a set of older HF deep impact sockets and I abuse the heck out of them and they've never shown any sign of fatigue. They are a lot thicker walled than the one you show here. I have had them for about 10 years so maybe they're making them cheaper now?
Thinner walls fit in tighter spaces yet the tradeoff is a weaker socket.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Not a surprise at all. I have a set of impact sockets that have used to break apart and put back together several rusty old farm tractors for restoration or repair, and the sockets are still in perfect condition and will outlast me. I have a deep 11/16 that has been used countless times (it's the common size on Ford N's), and it hasn't failed.

The difference? I didn't buy them from Harbor Freight, and I don't consider tools disposable (I'll never understand someone who does).

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
I don't see how its the HF tool's fault when you are doing overkill.

How is that overkill? I use impact sockets with that much torque on a regular basis without an issue. It's an impact socket, and should be designed not to fail when using it as intended.

an impact that makes nearly 800# of torque couldnt be quite hard on the low to mid grade sockets.. better go spend some $$$ to go with some accessories for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
HF has several different levels of impact sockets. The cheapest ones I've seen (which I haven't seen recently) had a shinier finish and I believe were made in China.

Of the ones they currently sell at my local store, the cheapest ones are Cr-V and the better ones are Cro-Mo. All the ones I've seen recently were Taiwanese at my local store.

So, what do you know about this set? Was it one of the cheaper sets? Cro-Mo or Cr-V? China or Taiwan?

I believe my old ones were the Pittsburgh Professional cro-mo ones. They are discontinued according to the HF people.

They replaced the set with this one, which is now made in China:

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-hi...-set-67904.html

These have a rougher, and more dull-looking finish compared to the faintly shiny finish of the old ones.

That socket you broke is obviously a deep chrome socket disguised to look
like an impact socket. That link I posted above is to a REAL impact socket.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I believe my old ones were the Pittsburgh Professional cro-mo ones. They are discontinued according to the HF people.

They replaced the set with this one, which is now made in China:

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-hi...-set-67904.html

These have a rougher, and more dull-looking finish compared to the faintly shiny finish of the old ones.

Are your sockets stamped either "Cr-V" or "Cro-Mo?" They sometimes mark that on the sockets. Also, it appears from the pic your socket is stamped "Pittsburgh." I think the pro ones are generally marked "Pittsburgh Pro" on the sockets.

Also, how long ago did you purchase them? Pittsburgh Pro branded tools were released not too long ago.

The fact that your broken one is pretty shiny makes me believe it wasn't one of the higher-end lines, but that's just a guess.

And, the 67904 set is made in Taiwan, not China.
IMG_1063-1000-800.jpg

IMG_1065-1000-800.jpg

IMG_1066-1000-800.jpg

Perhaps the exact set you purchased has been discontinued, but the Pittsburgh Pro impact sockets aren't discontinued, I don't believe. I was there recently and they still had them. They're made in Taiwan and appear very, very similar to the impacts now sold under the Kobalt brand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-12-drive-metric-deep-wall-impact-socket-set-67915.html

IMG_1072-1000-800.jpg

IMG_1073-1000-800.jpg

IMG_1075-1000-800.jpg

IMG_1076-1000-800.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back