Collinite 845

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a bottle of Collinite 845 after hearing of its durability and longevity. I was looking for paint protection for my truck and car for at least 6 months before reapplying.
I researched and found out all about applying it thin and so forth, everywhere I looked says to clay the car first. Is this step necassary? Ive never used clay before, but I do know the process. Ive never attempted it because I dont have a covered garage and am usually racing the clock to get any wash/waxs out of the way before the sun finishes going down (wait till evenings till the sun isnt overhead). Just wondering is a cleaner wax or clay is required before application, thanks for any comments.

clay before applying 845 and it'll last twice as long. you will not see 845 lasting 6 months if you don't prepare the paint first.

Originally Posted By: dgee
clay before applying 845 and it'll last twice as long. you will not see 845 lasting 6 months if you don't prepare the paint first.

+1 You can buy a clay kit for $20 and it should last you a while if you are a weekend warrior. You really only have to clay once, maybe twice a year. As mentioned above, clay will prep the surface, removing contaminates etc. so the wax can have proper adheasion

Thats what I figured. Its sad because as I type this there is an awesome cloud cover outside and perfect weather to do this sort of thing. I have already washed and waxed my truck with the original turtle wax paste yesterday, and did my wifes car a few weeks ago. Ive never given much thought to wash and wax every 6 months with plain old turtle wax until I did the first on the new vehicles, thus the Collinite order. Searching from there I read about clay barring first. I guess what I am looking for is to maybe do a wash, clay, wax in January on both cars and again in June. Is that reasonable? I want to protect the paint and whatnot but dont have the 6-8 hours every weekend, nor do I care THAT much. The cars will get washed every week or 2, but just looking to clay/wax every 6 months.

Something else Im wondering about. I read about the Collinite having to go on thin, Im doing this all by handpower, any tips on getting the right amount on the pad? I know tilting the bottle will be too much already........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97f150
Something else Im wondering about. I read about the Collinite having to go on thin, Im doing this all by handpower, any tips on getting the right amount on the pad? I know tilting the bottle will be too much already........

I just used one of these yesterday, I was fortunate to get them BOGO:

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-squeeze-bottles.html

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

Those look like the meguiars self-cleaning bottle tops. I don't know about the bottle part of the above, but I put the 845 in 2 of the megs with those tops.. After about 8-9 months I picked one up to shake before applying, the bottle CRACKED.

Just keep a watch, ruined a shirt and pants and it would not come out. Plus the loss of the bottles, the other was brittle too.

Just FYI.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

Those look like the meguiars self-cleaning bottle tops. I don't know about the bottle part of the above, but I put the 845 in 2 of the megs with those tops.. After about 8-9 months I picked one up to shake before applying, the bottle CRACKED.

Just keep a watch, ruined a shirt and pants and it would not come out. Plus the loss of the bottles, the other was brittle too.

Just FYI.

I put the remaining product back in the original bottle and washed out the squeeze bottle.

The original cap on my IW845 bottle didn't seat tight, and it doesn't have a flip top. I swapped lids from my bottle of NXT 2.0 (collecting dust). My IW845 now has a flip top, and good seal.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The original cap on my IW845 bottle didn't seat tight, and it doesn't have a flip top. I swapped lids from my bottle of NXT 2.0 (collecting dust). My IW845 now has a flip top, and good seal.

That was/is a known issue with 845, the caps didn't seal and a couple of times I have ordered 845 the wax cap had opened during shipment and spilled it all over the inside of the box. Fortunately, collinite is an awesome company and always makes it right.

Thats what I figured. Its sad because as I type this there is an awesome cloud cover outside and perfect weather to do this sort of thing. I have already washed and waxed my truck with the original turtle wax paste yesterday, and did my wifes car a few weeks ago. Ive never given much thought to wash and wax every 6 months with plain old turtle wax until I did the first on the new vehicles, thus the Collinite order. Searching from there I read about clay barring first. I guess what I am looking for is to maybe do a wash, clay, wax in January on both cars and again in June. Is that reasonable? I want to protect the paint and whatnot but dont have the 6-8 hours every weekend, nor do I care THAT much. The cars will get washed every week or 2, but just looking to clay/wax every 6 months.

I usually apply it via DA polisher but if I were to use a hand application I would dab it quickly like you would rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Very quick and very little. Also, make sure to wax the areas inside any on the door. Those are the rust prone areas that will like a good coat of wax.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
....but if I were to use a hand application I would dab it quickly like you would rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Very quick and very little...

Exactly the way I do it, but on an applicator pad. I also put the collonite in a bucket of hot water before I even wash teh car. By the time I am ready for it, it is liquid, shakes easy, and ready to go.

Okay guys, I was intrigued by all this clay bar talk, so I went out the other day and bought a Meguiers kit just to see what it all felt like. I have never even held a piece of clay in my hand before. There was a beautiful cloud cover this morning, and although my Collinite still hasent come in yet I took the opportunity to put down a clay job on the wifes Fusion. It wasnt as bad as I thought and didnt take nearly as long as I expected, I also topped off with a coat of wax.

F5CC3FC7-9EF4-4681-B9EE-9DCF8A01AFED-10085-00000821E25DA42C.jpg

4F3A18DF-4305-48E4-958F-0A26BC05CA49-10085-00000821E8486651.jpg

Now what kind of wax did I use? I cant just imagine the cringes right now

A70EA9E1-86DC-44E8-B0D0-C7DAF15067DE-10085-00000821EDAF4E50.jpg

BUT!! I had to put something on there! Ill only leave that one there until probably January and by then my Collinite will be in and thats what will go on next. I am pretty happy with the results though. Thanks for all the ideas and advice I received in this thread.

The color of the car is Tuxedo Black Metallic, the paint has some sort of glittery metal flake that glimmers in the sun.

Last edited:
You already did the right thing by using the clay. Do it once and you should not have to do it for a long time. Maybe once a year depending on tree sap, bugs and tar. I have been using 845 for three years and my '06 black Armada still looks new with 155,000 on it. Winters are harsh here and the Mag-Chloride - liquide de-icer they put on the roads is [censored] on paint and everything metallic. If you want endurance the Collonite will deliver. I will say though that if you want "WOW" products like Blackfire give you more sizzle but, for all-around performance, I always go back to the 845. Warm it up under hot water and shake the heck out of the bottle and apply it, sparingly, with a microfiber applicator and you will be good to go.

Thanks for the comments on my wifes Fusion guys! My bottle of Collinite came in today, and it was an overcast day so I decided to wash, clay, and wax my F150. I will polish next time though as some of the paint has marks in it (not from the clay, I noticed this last time I washed). Another observation is that the roof of this truck has pretty sad paint on it. Im not sure what the deal is but the drip rails have little bubbles in the paint in them, I wont be surprised to have paint problems later.

As far as the Collinite goes.......WOW! This is the easiest stuff I have ever used, second only to tire shine in a can. Thin is in apparently, and if I wasnt somewhat religious and had faith (the essence of things unseen lol) I would have been tempted to use too much before I could see it haze over. Here are the pics:

ACCD977C-0F40-4D71-99B5-0540DA85BFA2-234-0000000F71ABB5E0.jpg

1448D7A3-4006-4774-9891-072AC58F5656-234-0000000F784D2E31.jpg

B039CD33-516B-4C60-ABD4-22C7FBBCE78A-234-0000000EAFB0C59B.jpg

63DCC8A4-B49C-4366-81E4-BE748C50158E-234-0000000EA9B3D6E1.jpg

ABBDB6C1-CBEE-4E78-A923-8C33142DF5EF-234-0000000EA3972605.jpg

4FC48903-8163-4D0A-AE0E-703039DBB1A2-234-0000000E9D87534A.jpg

This bottle of Collinite will last me a while, as this is the grand total used out of the bottle......to do a full size crew cab truck:
2EB9B8B5-922B-4E12-8058-2667E8E1D93C-234-0000000F687F2634.jpg

Im impressed.

guys my neighbors 1936 ford that i painted 5 years ago , jet black with a single stage paint is waxed with collinite and wins car shows every year. folks cannot believe it is a single stage paint. he cleans it once in a while with mothers final inspection. i myself have tryed about every wax made and iam going back to using collinite on my show car

I'm a believer now! For the money and amount used, this bottle is a better value then the stuff you find at Wally's or any auto parts store.

All I ever use on boats is Collinate paste wax and their cleaner which I think is 920. Best stuff in the world on gel coat; keep a good coat on and the gel coat will look like new for years and years.

put 845 on the car again this weekend. 3rd time or so. I tried to go light the first two times and still ended up using too much, leaving streaks, and haze. I finally got it right this time. Go thinner than you think.

Finally got around to doing a pre-salt detail on the Outback. Washed, clayed (Mother's), Klasse AIO on paint, glass, wheels, and trim; and 845 to finish the paint and wheels. I've read that 845 is pretty safe on the black plastic trim, but it isn't recommended by Collinite, so I decided not to chance it. With my luck it wouldn't work out. With that said, I didn't tape it off or anything and didn't ruin the plastic. I'm sure a little bit got on there.

Both the AIO and 845 go on thin. I probably used a little too much since it was my first go, but it came off with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back