deutz diesel engine help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone,
i have an older deutz diesel model F1L411D. single cylinder. engine was running fine prior to removal of injection pump. i reinstalled the pump and now the engine wont start. the injection pump has a mechanism that slides back and forth, it moves to one side to stop engine and i guess the other side to advance fuel, this portion of install i believe is correct. i have good supply to the injection pump. the injection pump is not supplying fuel to injector. while cranking, there is no fuel coming out of pump. i assume this has to be timed? any help here is appreciated.

The position of the pump likely effects timing.

On MB diesels, you replace the injector line with a drip tube, and advance the engine based upon marks (and accounting for tc wear), and get a specific drip rate at a specific position relative to tdc.

I'd imagine yours is similar.

On any diesel,engine, the injector pump needs to be bled. If it contains air, it won't pump. Same goes for the injector.

The injection system requires the pump to be timed VERY precisely. You will need a reference and most likely special tools in order to accomplish this. Truly, and I mean no disrespect, some things are best left to experts.

On NB diesels, the references are marked on the cam tower and harmonic balancer, iirc. I'd think that most of the markings would be on the engine to make field service straightforward, no?

Once running, there are some theories that glow plugs can be used as a thermocouple to optimize timing...

That's the 700cc engine that has the pump that mounts with 3 bolts and has a slider mechanism to control the timing, correct?

The slider is called the "pump control rack". It must be correctly seated into a slot in the engine control rack. If I remember correctly, with the pump removed, if you turn the key to on (but not start) you'll see it move. If you're not getting any fuel out of the injector pump then either the pump has failed, or the pump control rack isn't seated into the engine control rack correctly (I'd check this first).

Just be careful-if you try to start it with the pump control rack incorrectly seated it's possible to bend the the engine control rack.

Yes that's the correct pump with 3 bolts. There is no electrical power going to the engine control rack. When key is turned to on, it's just power to starter. This motor is 40 years old. I do not see any damage on the pump and no damage on the engine control rack. I cannot see pump failure. The pump was simply removed.
Thanks again.

Granted, I've only worked on a couple in the past. But the only thing that I've seen that would cause it not to pump, other than a failed pump, is it not being correctly seated into the engine control rack. It's a pretty simple system, and if it's not pumping any fuel at all then the list of issues is pretty small.

I thought that it was self priming, but it's been long enough that I may be wrong about that. I don't remember doing anything special when the injector pump was reinstalled, but that may be incorrect on my part.

Yes it seems very straight forward. I have the rack positioned correctly, I assume.
And by the looks of the rack system, it simply looks like it operates on an open throttle and stop position. I'm at a loss here. Thanks again.

So you have seen the fuel drip out at the right place relative to TDC when hand-cycling the engine? That's how you know. Assume nothing.

After installing the injection pump with the line disconnected and fuel line connected and cranking the engine over, why is it that fuel is not coming out of injection pump? Even if timing is incorrect at this point, fuel should come out of pump when cranking. I don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back