Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic or Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yes, if he can't get a good deal of full synthetic Max Life, the blend is fine for 5,000 miles; twice a year or every 6 months, for LA climate.

Found this on the Valvoline webstite:
"Myth-Older cars must use conventional motor oil.
Not true. Older cars can use synthetic motor oil. Valvoline does not recommend using synthetic oil if the vehicle already contains a leak."

Are they not referring to Max Life?

Hello guys,
Here in Europe Valvoline has Maxlife Synthetic 5W-40.

I am very curious about this oil for I have used several years CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-40 (BMW LL-98 specification)
Last oil change I put again CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-40 C3, now improved and it is LL-04. But this time when it clocked 10 000 km. I had to top-up.
It never happened before I have a leak from my rear seal hence it was replaced with a new one 2 years ago.

So doubt whether to use this Valvoline product. There is no BMW specification, just Mercedes and VW. Nevertheless the "oil-chooser" tool on Valvoline site offered me to use this product...
What do you think?

Thanks!

full syn MaxLife is overkill and you have heard about full syns leaking more... I suspect full syn MaxLife is for cars that have not begun leaking yet as the full syn (and maybe esters) will do a better job of cleaning than the semi-syn, and prob can go a longer OCI.

reg MaxLife 5W-30 and a couple OCIs at 5K like he said are a good idea and you should see a decrease in oil leak in the first 5K unless it's just too big to fix. You could also read up on Kreen and try a batch with reg conventional first as a cleaner before MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyMan
Hello guys,
Here in Europe Valvoline has Maxlife Synthetic 5W-40.

I am very curious about this oil for I have used several years CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-40 (BMW LL-98 specification)
Last oil change I put again CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-40 C3, now improved and it is LL-04. But this time when it clocked 10 000 km. I had to top-up.
It never happened before I have a leak from my rear seal hence it was replaced with a new one 2 years ago.

So doubt whether to use this Valvoline product. There is no BMW specification, just Mercedes and VW. Nevertheless the "oil-chooser" tool on Valvoline site offered me to use this product...
What do you think?

Thanks!

I read really good things about this Oil on Russian Board somewhat similar to BITOG.
What kind of car do you have? I don't think VW specs better oil than BMW and MB does.

I would add one thing to the advice that you have already received and that is to check out your PCV system. You have a 12 year old car with 100k+ miles on it. If the system is not working correctly it can add cause a leak at a seal. Change the PCV valve, make sure the line is clean from the valve to the intake, and you will be good for another 12 years and 100k miles.

@[RT] ProjUltraZ
Yes, you are right, but BMW never approved semi-synthetic or mineral oil for their engines the last 20 years. So I thought that this Valvoline product will be fine... and 5W-40 is the perfect viscosity for my local climate..

@MBS500
The car is BMW 520i Touring E39, engine is M52TUB20. My concerns are that this oil does not have any BMW Long-Life specification.
And maybe VW has more demands on oil, but here
I would rather continue with the old CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-40, which had LL-98 but it is off production - nowhere to buy. I think that the new variant C3 is just not good for my case.
So I was thinking of the fallowing options:

1. Buy LL-98 from another oil maker, or perhaps LL-01.
2. Buy Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5W-40. Online "Valvoline oil chooser" advises me to use it, just wanted to hear some opinions here if it will be good for the engine
smile.gif

As for the engine: it is about 250k miles, does not burn oil yet(!). Oil was always at MAX level from change-to-change and I never ever topped up. It was always filled with Castrol - firstly Castrol TXT 5W-30 from BMW service. I bought it 6 years ago, and it is very good family car, enjoyable and we are quite happy with it.

@Sunnyinhollister
Well good points on your opinion!
This system was revised 2 years ago, it was like brand new. But I will check it again, just it is not suspected to be wrong.
smile.gif

the seal conditions are the same. just the bases are different. in LA where temp never drop below zero and for OCI less than 7.5k, go for the blend.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
the seal conditions are the same. just the bases are different. in LA where temp never drop below zero and for OCI less than 7.5k, go for the blend.

+1

Originally Posted By: novice123
Valvoline does not recommend using synthetic oil if the vehicle already contains a leak."

i think you have to take it at face value, don't use full syn if you have an oil leak

The red bottle MaxLife does have a good slug of synthetic in it. It's just not a full syn. Same additive package as the full syn MaxLife.

Thanks. The Full Syn version is not available in any retail stores near me. I can get it on Amazon, and the price difference between that and the blend in the retail stores is very little. One other question. I live in Los Angeles where it does not get very cold. If the 5-30 does not help, should I try the 10-30? Or, it is better to stay at 5-30 as recommended and use Bar's or something else for the seep.
Thanks

I was able to get it a NAPA, they didnt have it in the store but I called and they had it for me in 3 hours and it was the same price as any other Syn oil... much cheaper then Amazon and no shipping fees... Thank goodness for Napa.
Check it out, I was going crazy wanting the FULL SYN Max Life but couldnt find it. However NAPA has it.. so google Napa and see if there is one near by you.
smile.gif

hope this helps

Originally Posted By: buster
The red bottle MaxLife does have a good slug of synthetic in it. It's just not a full syn. Same additive package as the full syn MaxLife.

most blends are 5% syn oil... Most people think its 50/50 ....

some are not even 5%

better to go FULL SYN IMO.... Blend the oil companies make huge $ off it.
its one of there biggest $ maker as far as cost and sales and amount sold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]
Valvoline does not recommend using synthetic oil if the vehicle already contains a leak."

i think you have to take it at face value, don't use full syn if you have an oil leak

Ever hear of ATP AT-205 Re-Seal ?
that is the real deal!

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: buster

most blends are 5% syn oil... Most people think its 50/50 ....

some are not even 5%

better to go FULL SYN IMO.... Blend the oil companies make huge $ off it.
its one of there biggest $ maker as far as cost and sales and amount sold.

That's a pretty cynical viewpoint: which blends are less the 5%? Of course, we don't know for sure the % of synthetic manufacturers put in blends, but Pennzoil Gold says on the bottle the syn portion is 50%, which is probably typical. Plus any blend that meets the Dexos1 spec has to have a pretty high syn percentage as well.

Synthetic oils have a tendency to leak even more if you have leaky seals. Granted, I don't know if this tendency exists in HM synthetic oils like Mobil 1 HM or Maxlife Synthetic. Personally, I would just try the regular off the shelf Maxlife (blend). If that doesn't help, and you live in a warm climate, try the 10W30 weight. Once engine warms up it should flow as well as 5W30, but when the car is sitting in a garage it should be a little thicker than 5W30 hopefully reducing the leak.

Originally Posted By: David1
most blends are 5% syn oil...some are not even 5%

This doesn't seem even remotely accurate because 5% synthetic arguably wouldn't be sufficient to get the more than 5% better performance.
confused.gif
Care to share a credible source of the 5% figure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back