How are K&N Black oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at getting a K&N black 1010 oil filter for my 2013 accord for the first change. The oci should be around 8k-10k but i don't know how long the hondas go before they are down to 15%. Is this filter a good one? What is it comparable to? I have not decided on an oil yet but it will probably be a 0w20 like kendall,QSUD,M1-AFE.

K&N is a very good filter. I would say it is most comparable to a Mobil 1 filter. It should go 8-10k no problem.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
K&N is a very good filter. I would say it is most comparable to a Mobil 1 filter. It should go 8-10k no problem.

Muskieteer is talking about their black-can Pro Series filters, not the white-can "wrench off" filters that are generally considered comparable to the M1 filter.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: k1rod

Muskieteer is talking about their black-can Pro Series filters, not the white-can "wrench off" filters that are generally considered comparable to the M1 filter.

Sorry.. I missed that... I was referring to the white wrench off K & N's. I Don't know much about their black cans..

I just bought a 2012 new Accord. I too plan on changing my oil at 15-25% on the MM. I picked up Mobil1 0w-20 today with a Fram Ultra filter. I have never used Fram to much bad press, but while at WM picking up the oil I saw the new Ultra, they look like quality filters. I will probably try the M1-110 filter after the Ultra.

It looks like the Honda has a special Moly blend in the break in oil and they tell you to run it until it reaches the 15% mark, but I'm old school on the new car oil change and I'll be very nervous if it gets past 5k on the factory fill !!

I was looking itno this a few hours ago! the black can, i saw on autozones website. I have a 98 toyota corolla..black can is $5.99, white K&N can is $15.99, $16.99 at advance auto. the black can, on autozones website, under specs, says its a prium filter media. the white can specs, says its desigend for racing and exceptional fitlering, removing 99% of contaminents.

My Sonata actually did NOT like the K&N filters. I ran the white can wrench off for 2x and both times it increased engine noise and caused inconsistent engine revs. I've used M1, RP, FRAM, and P1 and they were all fine. Only time engine issues came up was when I used the K&N.

Originally Posted By: sHERM
I just bought a 2012 new Accord. I too plan on changing my oil at 15-25% on the MM. I picked up Mobil1 0w-20 today with a Fram Ultra filter. I have never used Fram to much bad press, but while at WM picking up the oil I saw the new Ultra, they look like quality filters. I will probably try the M1-110 filter after the Ultra.

The FRAM Ultra (XG series) is a very good filter. I'd run it with no hesitations - only FRAM I'd be comfortable with.

25% - OK
15% - No

Honda puts a special oil additive in their factory fill oil. It's not there on following OCIs.

My daughter's 2012 Civic went 10K before reaching 15%. I now change that oil at 25%. However, if I find that new synthetic oil 'someday' getting black early (2K), I will swap it out at 6K.

The first OCI went over 7K before turning black. The 2nd OCI went only 4.5K before going black.

Change that Honda oil wisely.

A bit off topic, but I put a K&N white can oil filter on our 2009 Sonata 2.4 once for full length service. The engine worked well as always with it, no troubles. If only the rest of the car worked as well as the engine.

They are made by Champion Labs so it's entirely possible they are just another SuperTech/STP/ACDelco/etc. clone, and most likely ecore design for the larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back