Rear Brake Drum Question- '77 Ford F250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm finally getting around to going through the brakes on Ol' Yellar. We're starting with the rear, but already I've run into unfamiliar territory.

The axle I believe is the Dana 60. When I pulled off the rear drum, it comes in one piece(drum,hub, studs). However, the drum is sold with only the drum part, not the hub or studs. I don't have much experience with brakes like these.

The drums should be replaced IMO, they are likely too far gone to turn. Do the studs have to be tapped out? I'm not sure what to do here.

Thanks.

Why not see if the drums are ACTUALLY too worn to turn before doing this. From experience: it is a monumentally-miserable job even with a press.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why not see if the drums are ACTUALLY too worn to turn before doing this. From experience: it is a monumentally-miserable job even with a press.

Jarlaxle, I'll surely do this, just seeing what I'm in for just in case.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle, I'll surely do this, just seeing what I'm in for just in case.

Note: my 79 has what seems to be its original rear drums.

Jim, that is also part of the plan, already have new studs and lugnuts.

Jarlaxle, I want to just keep the ones on there now. However, I doubt they will be able to be turned due to some BAD grooving. I will still try though.

Update:

Finally buttoned it up about 2hrs ago. The drums had to be replaced, which I was afraid of since the studs had to be punched out/back in.

We struggled getting the studs in the new drums with what we had, so I had an idea. We went to the tire shop, and the tech used an impact wrench on them. Worked great, tipped him $10 and that was that!

We replaced the drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, studs, and lugnuts. All cost around $220, the drums were $48/each alone.

Question though: we of course bled the rear brakes. Afterwards; the front part of the reservoir was low, it that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back