Liquid tape & heat shrink for electrical wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently have come to the conclusion that adhesive filled heat shrink is not available locally.

Not that I can find.

So, I have to come up with something.

I noticed that Home Depot had some liquid electrical tape. I am thinking of buying that and using it with heat shrink. Has anyone ever done this before?

If so, how did it hold up? This is one of those instances in which I do not under any circumstances want to come back and have to do any rework.

Thoughts?

Did this last year when doing a car stereo wiring project. Worked well, got the liquid tape from wal mart. Has held up well, last time I checked was a few months ago.

Yes, I have been doing this since the 1980's. Works great!

I don't actually fill the shrink sleeve. I cut to length slip it on. Coat the entrance 360° on each end and then shrink it. Ends sealed, good to go. Sometimes after I solder the splice, I paint it with the liquid tape, then do the same with ends of the sleeve.

I haven't used liquid electrical tape with heat shrink tubing, but I am sure it would be fine.

The liquid electrical tape actually seems to be pretty durable, you just have to follow the curing instructions (a couple hours at least, I can't remember).

On a somewhat related note I was looking at some homemade mtn. bike lighting wiring the other day and saw some clever use of heat shrink and hot melt glue.

Heat shrink over a connector body and back fill the pins with hot melt. Then hit the heat shrink with a gun. Careful not to get hot melt on the elec. contacts!

It looked and felt bullet proof to me.

as allways my friends here have great info. i just last week used liquid electrical tape my self, for the first time. it was on a wire on a battery charger, it turned out better than i thought it would. i really like the hints.

You don't have a NAPA? They should stock it or at least be able to find it and order it. Mine didn't stock it, but the counter guy said the next town over stocked it, so that's where I went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back