Cleaning fuel injectors - is it really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get 2nd opinion and make sure im not taken for a ride but this shop is trying to sell me fuel injecter service for $150 and takes 30mins.

He says should be done every 30k km and ive never had it done on my car.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this. It can't hurt to use ever 5k miles or so.

Is it a shop or a stealership?

If it is a shop I'm not sure I'd have it done there.

Stealerships are pretty good about standing behind their products and methods.
My father owns 2 GM vehicles. He has had them do it to both of his and he has seen a good deal of improvement from his but dyno.

I've never had it done to my vehicle, all I do is pour some cleaner into my gas tank.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Do it for max gas mileage.

If thats it, then i see no point. Im already getting max milage 600-650km/tank.

Reason i ask is cause i mentioned about cleaning the throttle body and then they said if you do that, then do the entire fuel injector cleaning cause the carbon buildup will just end up going to the injectors anyways.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Is it a shop or a stealership?

If it is a shop I'm not sure I'd have it done there.

Stealerships are pretty good about standing behind their products and methods.
My father owns 2 GM vehicles. He has had them do it to both of his and he has seen a good deal of improvement from his but dyno.

I've never had it done to my vehicle, all I do is pour some cleaner into my gas tank.

At a shop. Im not sure their exact method but its by machine.
Can a lot of problems result from this service?

Now im having my doubts and I just told the guy on the phone ill be there shortly. Now what should I do? Just not show up?

Why does everyone flock to this troll's posts like moths to an outdoor light?

There are several different systems, some use a machine like the MotorVac system, some use a small pressure tank.

Either way can be effective, the only true way to know if they need cleaning is to do a balance test or to have them bench tested. Either test is likely to cost just as much as cleaning so it is cheaper just to get them cleaned instead of tested then cleaned.

Originally Posted By: AVB
There are several different systems, some use a machine like the MotorVac system, some use a small pressure tank.

Either way can be effective, the only true way to know if they need cleaning is to do a balance test or to have them bench tested. Either test is likely to cost just as much as cleaning so it is cheaper just to get them cleaned instead of tested then cleaned.

So at the end of the day, you think its needed? Im looking at the symptoms of dirty fuel injectors and im not experiencing any of these riht now.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

Reason i ask is cause i mentioned about cleaning the throttle body and then they said if you do that, then do the entire fuel injector cleaning cause the carbon buildup will just end up going to the injectors anyways.

I would say that is false.

Jiffy Lube did a system cleaning for $50 on my car. I went with it because I had just purchased the car a few months previous so I threw them some bones. They also replaced the PCV for $15, what a ripoff. I just purchased a fixed orifice PCV @ AutoZone for $2.99, never need to replace ever, just check and clean every few oil changes.

thats what i thought too! How does cleaning the throttle body with carbon combustion cleaner not get the carbon out from the lines? But he said you should do the full fuel injector service. I think hes just trying to upsell me.

He just said do it and my car will feel like the day it was new with the extra response and power.

Last edited:
143K on my Tacoma with no fuel injector service other than fuel injector cleaners every oil change. To date no issues.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
143K on my Tacoma with no fuel injector service other than fuel injector cleaners every oil change. To date no issues.

But fuel injector cleaning will bring your engine performance back to new.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

But fuel injector cleaning will bring your engine performance back to new.

You should save your money and spend on it a new pair of shoes. If you ever get a job and move out of your parents basement that is.

thats what i thought too! How does cleaning the throttle body with carbon combustion cleaner not get the carbon out from the lines? But he said you should do the full fuel injector service. I think hes just trying to upsell me.

He just said do it and my car will feel like the day it was new with the extra response and power.

The throttle body and fuel lines are parts of two different systems. Cleaning one will not clean the other unless it is a TBI.

If you are not experiencing any symptoms, I would say you do not need the relatively expensive process from your shop. To make you feel better, throw a bottle of Techron or Redline cleaner into a full tank of gas and call it a day. Those both work well for maintenance.

If you are still concerned, I have heard good things (but have not yet personally used) this:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08963-Fuel-Syst...tem+tune-up+kit

Originally Posted By: Ddub
If you are not experiencing any symptoms, I would say you do not need the relatively expensive process from your shop. To make you feel better, throw a bottle of Techron or Redline cleaner into a full tank of gas and call it a day. Those both work well for maintenance.

If you are still concerned, I have heard good things (but have not yet personally used) this:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08963-Fuel-Syst...tem+tune-up+kit

Ya i havent even left yet, decided theyre trying to sell me on something i dont need.

The techron stuff, its not sold in Canada. Any other alternatives that work as good? Ive used like Motomaster fuel injector cleaners $6 per bottle before and doubt it did a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back