FP vs Redline Fuel System Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

I've read nothing but good reviews about both products, nor do I have any doubt in my mind that both FP and Redline will do a great job of cleaning things up in the fuel system but at the same time not damaging anything.

The only beef I have is FP. What I don't like is it comes in a gallon size for $25.50! As well it needs repeated application for best results. I'm just wondering if FP will really live up to it's name and what it can do. I know there's been some other members on here who have used it, like I said before nothing but good reviews.

Bottom line, I think I'll be perfectly fine with either Redline or FP, I haven't forgotten about Chevron either, lol Thanks,,,,,,AR

Hey,

Thanks for chiming in!

I'm still debating between the group of fuel cleaners. Being the car fanatic that I am, I'm leaning more towards Redline to be honest. That doesn't mean I'm still considering FP, Gumout Regane etc...

Just to share here some of my past experiences with other cleaners.

I've tried Prestone, STP, Amsoil PI, and 1 other that came in a red bottle, it's right there on the edge of my mouth put I can't put my finger on it,,,aaRRRRRGHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!!!

The verdict is yet to be decided. Thanks guys,,,,AR

Good to see your considering the use of a powerful fuel system cleaner to help out your Ranger.

A little off-topic in regards to your original post, but just to give you another option (not saying this stuff is any better than the products you're currently looking at) I'm using Gumout Regane ($5 bottle has a 21 gallon treat rate) and it has definitely helped my 'ol truck. It's Gumout's most powerful on-the-shelf cleaner, and while simple, it works...60%-70% kerosene and %30-%40 polyether amine, which, according to MolaKule is a "very light but powerful solvent."

According to the PDS, the "benefits" last either 3,000 miles or 11 tankfulls, which for me, because of my large fuel tank, is over 6,000 miles because of the amount of Regane I originally used (two bottles).

From Groucho Marx:
"Only anecdotal here, but mysister's '01 Camry w/9k miles was running a littlre rough by her account. I put in a bottle of Regane combustion chamber cleaner by Gumout and she marveled at the difference."

From SlickRacer:
"I had a good result with Regane after Johnny mentioned it here awhile ago."

From Johnny:
"Well, I guess I better plug one of our products. GUMOUT. Not the stuff in the white or silver bottle, but the stuff in the clear bottle, REGANE. You add a bottle every 3,000 miles. It has worked good for me for many years. I have several European Car Dealers using it regularly, and every time one of their customers gets an oil change, they get a bottle of it poured in. You can use it in gas or diesel. I believe Wal-Mart sells it along with the larger chain parts stores."

[ August 05, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Airborne, I'll just make a quick comment on the product packaging. We are activley researching the best additional size for our products. We are working with Odis to get this done. Keep in mind though at $25.50 for a gallon is a very good price per ounce.

Jeff

I was also very hesitant to purchase the FP because of the size. I basically wanted to test it before I invested in such a large quantity. I know they have been working on a smaller size, but until then, if you don't want this kind of investment, then one of the other fuel system cleaners might be better for you.

However, after purchasing FP I have found another benefit, fuel economy. With the inrease in Fuel economy I've seen,(about 10-15%) the stuff really does pay for itself(even with shipping), so now I don't feel too bad about it. My cars seem to be running fine, but I doubt they were dirty enough to notice a big difference.

-T

I used to use Redline but after many doses of fuel power, my car has gone from around 28-29 to getting 31-32 on the last 2 tanks. And keep in mind my driving is the same every week because this is my work car. 5 days a week every week to the same place so not much changes. Ive always gotten around 280-290 miles on 10 gallons, but now im getting about 315-325. So unless my local exxon is spiking the gas something did it.

Well I've been a loyal Techron user for many many years and now am about to take the FP plunge. I don't have any fancy, lab produced specs to back up my Techron love affair but what I do have is a real world story of how it took a Mercury Topaz from stalling when taking off from a standing start to running perfect in only a couple treatments. Ever since then I've added a bottle just prior to every oil change and have not had a single fuel related problem since.

Onward we must march and if FP can not only maintain a clean injection system but also increase efficiency I'm all for it and willing to try. Results will certainly be hard to quantify. I'm going to start keeping a log of mpg, driving habits and fuels used in preparation for a FP switch. I want to see verifiable results.

I think you will find you end up going for the gallon jugs of FP in the long run...

I now use it in my GF's TJ, my KJ, an air-cooled Lycoming, and various power equipment. Always having plenty on hand makes life much less stressful!!! I keep a couple squeeze bottles in my KJ, and always carry a stash when I fly long x-c trips.

I have noticed an improvement in the operation of all my motors using this product, so I will continue to use it. My last order was for 5 gallons (I order more when I break into my last gallon.)

Has "Fuel Doctor" hit the shelfs there yet?

So far I have found it to work better than anything else I have ever tried, and the price is good when you consider the standard size gives either 2 shock doses or quite a lot of regular doses.

Is there any way to get this stuff in Australia? Im using Lucas UCL right now, thinking about switching to Redline mantainance dosage instead. But FP seems the best way to go still..

I have not had the pleasure of useing FP yet. Redlines product is top notch. It is the best product of it's kind that I am aware of. If you have a dirty vechile use the whole bottle first time around. After that one botttle of it will treat 100 gallons of fuel. Redlines product is $5 a bottle for 100 gallons of treated fuel. Pep Boys, Discount and Avdanced and many other parts stores cary Redlines products over the counter so go give it a try.

I recommend it at work over the company brand all the time!

Hey,

Thanks for chiming in everyone!

Since I got laid off from work, I've been detailing cars for the general public and helping my uncle with his garage he's building so it's not much income but it beats the **** out of making nothing.

I'm still deciding but I think I will give FP a try, the more I hear my Ranger kinda sputter and rattle on start up, the more I'm convinced that's what the problem is from paying close attention.

Thanks to all,,,,,,AR

Eventually I'll get some FP, but for now I'm stuck on Schaeffer's Neutra #131. It's made a noticeable improvement in my car's performance, and has reduced the amount of carbon in the combustion chambers a little bit.

Stuff smells really nasty though...Almost exactly like that old Gunk carburetor cleaner that came in the 1 gallon paint can with the dip basket inside. Get the stuff on your hands and the smell stays with you for days.

I used Redline for several years and was happy with it. Outstanding Website data from Redline. When I saw the oil "hotshots" (Mola, Terry, et al) on BITOG recommend Fuel Power, I switched. With Fuel Power, I have not experienced any fuel savings like others on here, but I don't care. My cars have no throttle hestitation, and good idle, etc., which is all I wanted anyway. A gallon treats up to 640 gallons of fuel, I think.

The Fuel Power people are very prompt (for me) in shipping, and are on this board to answer questions. You probably can't make a mistake with FP, Redline, Techron, or the Amsoil goup. Too bad most gasolines don't fully clean the entire fuel systems of our cars...the nation would save a bunch of barrels of imported oil (improved MPG and emissions).

Hey jbas,

What I'm aiming for mostly is for FP which is what I have decided to go with, my truck rattles and pings real bad upon start up.

Though alot in the past I have blamed it on the oil or filter. But from listening and reading the replies on here I have been more inclined to think that my injectors are alittle dirty and could use a good cleaning. Of course a few MPG and better idle and all that couldn't hurt one bit, but the rattle and ping on start up is my main issue.

The more I listen to the noise, the more I'm inclined to think that indeed it is my injectors, but then again it could be something else.

Thanks for chiming in,,,,AR

If your problem is detonation, Fp is definitely what you want. The issue is, most likely, carbon deposit in the combustion chambers, and it does a job on those. Had the same exact problem with my girlfriends Ford Explorer, and a few tanks of FP had it doing much better. 2 more and it's now dead quiet. I only managed to put it in about every other tank. I've already used the Majority of it, using it in all my lawn equipment, GF's car, other friends cars, and both of mine. Best money I've spent on auto products...

And much like VaderSS says, my (new) son-in-law has a 2002 Ranger with the 3.0L FFV engine, and it has a rough idle normally. (Due in part to the Ford spark plugs which run too hot). He uses my FP and says the Ranger idles the best it ever has.

Now if I can just get him to buy his own!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back