started playing with my H&R .223 this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This break over single shot bull barrel .223 is equiped with a 8x24 power and a bipod. I started plinking using Remington 55grn FMJ and setting my zero at 100Yrds. after i was satisfied with my zero, i decided to fire up my polaris ranger and head over to the now un-used stripper-mine a few miles from my house (i live in the sticks) I took 6 milk jugs with me and put 1.5 inch red stickers on them to make it easier to see (I also filled each with water so a hit would be easy to see at longer ranges.

1st jug was at 100yrds
2nd was at 200 yrds
3rd was at 250 yrds
4th was at 275 yrds
5th was at 350 yrds
and the 6th was at 425 yrds

1,2,3,4, were all 1st shot hits with no problem.

#5 was a tic out of reach for uncompensated shooting, i could see where the projectile was hitting (at approx 300YRDS) as it hit the ground and kicked up dirt. I tried using the compensation line for 400 and 500 yards but as i had neither jug set up at exactly either of those mards (and i was shooting at a little jug sitting on the dirt mine road) I never did hit either of 5 or 6.

Q. for those with experience using compensation on your scopes, are there and real tricks to seeing if its even close to accurate using the compensation marks ? besides setting up a human sized target a 400 and 500 yrds ?

over 300 yrds is new to me so im learning here.

Thanks

p.s.
without getting into mil-spec gear im thinking of putting together a long range toy .300 win mag 30-06 .308
but dunno wich way id go.. .308 seems to be the most popular for "sniping" but im not going to be sniping.. its just going to be a long range jug-buster
smile.gif
any opinions ??

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Otis, don't let them know your this good of a shot. They will induct you into the Service!

Im already a Federal LEO... So the gov has taught me a fair bit about shooting already. but long range plinking is a fairly new hobby for me. Most Gov training is at 25-50yrds

I would suggest looking at a ballistics table and do some math, that should get you on target pretty quick.

If you know your gear, and the ranges that you are going to be shooting, you can make it inaccurate up close and equally so at longer ranges.

You know that at "0" yards, just exiting the muzzle, you will be 1.5" low, give or take...set it up so that you are at 1.5" high somewhere in the trajectory (pick the spot based on ballistics tables, or a trajectory calculator)...it will be bang on somewhere between 0 and 1.5 high, then bang on somewhere after 1.5 high, then 1.5 low a bit after.

That will give you a 3" "Plinking kill zone", from close, to a surprising distance away.

When "zeroing" for targets at know ranges, it's either bang on or low.

Letting it go high was a technique that I saw used in a WWII book on using 22s for home (country) defence, which made estimating range and compensating for it less of a problem...we shoot 30, 60, 90m in our .22 comps, and you can get pretty good scores without the headache letting it be high at 60.

How do you like the H&R setup? I've been tempted to get one. Maybe a 223, then send out for a 357 barrel.

How far out do you want to go, and how much of a challenge do you want? I'd think 223 could be made to do it, but it'd be easier with 30-06. For the price of barrels on an H&R you could just send it back and get a pair of barrels to try, for relatively little money.

I had a hankering for an H amd R, but they weren't coming to Oz, so I bought a Rossi Matched pair in .22LR/12ga(H and r came to Oz 3 month later)

I bought the Rossi for our single shot competition, and being break action, the empty flies over the shoulder, and chambering is a breeze. I can compete comfortably in our repeater groups, as it's nothing like loading a bolt action single shot.

Going to take the 12ga barrel to the local 'smith, and maybe use the block for a 9mm or .357 (he does a mean .357 on a Martini action.

Originally Posted By: supton
How do you like the H&R setup? I've been tempted to get one. Maybe a 223, then send out for a 357 barrel.

How far out do you want to go, and how much of a challenge do you want? I'd think 223 could be made to do it, but it'd be easier with 30-06. For the price of barrels on an H&R you could just send it back and get a pair of barrels to try, for relatively little money.

for a inexpensive single shot break open heavy barrel gun its pretty accurate.. i think 500Yrds would be fun, obviously compensated.. sure i can buy 270,300,308, 30-06 and really reach out, but half the fun for me right now is getting this 300yrd uncompensated gun to do what i want.. just tinkering.

I gave a co-worker $175 for mine without a scratch on it.. than i put a semi-decent Bushnell ontop of it. Im happy.

That sounds pretty cool; about what I'd like to do. Thanks for the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back