125grn TC loading for 38spl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a box of 125grn trunicated cone bullets for my 38spl some time ago; and came across them in the basement again. I'd like to load up a few rounds; but am not finding a lot of info. I have the Lee Loading book, and the whatever it is, the green spiral book that is just for 38spl. The former has nothing for 125grn hardcast, the latter shows a Lyman 124grn RN with a starting load of 2.5grn Bullseye(!) up to four-something. Looking at jacketed 125grn bullets I see the loadings up around 4-5grn for Bullseye.

Before I load up any rounds I'm just wanting to double-check. I only reload 38's, and prior to this just 148grn WC's and 158grn SWC (at both standard and +P), so I really don't have a reason to buy another powder (1lb of BE has lasted me three years thus far) nor another reloading manual. I must admit, I'm almost tempted to just trade out of these bullets, but I was kinda hoping for a very light recoiling round (I think that is why I bought them in the first place).

[These rounds will be fired in Ruger 357Mag revolvers, so I'm more concerned about a) sticking a bullet in the barrel, and b) just being safe and cautious.]

It's been a long time since I loaded, but I think the recommendation for the 124 gr. RN should cross over perfectly.

Bullseye might be to fast/hot for those lead bullets. I'd suggest you get some TrailBoss and plink away. It's made for lead loads.

This is from the Hodgdon Reloading site.

125 GR. CAST LRNFP IMR Trail Boss .358" 1.445" Start @3.0gr 753 11,600 PSI Max is 5.3gr 952 13,400 PSI

Hi Supton,
Your Truncated cone bullets are fully jacketed. My Lee 2nd Edition manual doesn't list Bullseye for those, but for 125gr. XTP bullets it does list 4.0gr. for 815fps up to 4.5 for 914. The XTP listing is for bullets that have big hollow-point cavities that make them longer for weight than FMJ. As I understand it, the hollowpoint bullets need to be seated deeper into the brass which could, with too much powder, could cause unsafe firing pressure. You should be, with the FMJ, be well under any maximum pressure limits.
Of course, you must observe all safe reloading practices, and verify data yourself.

I've thought about buying another pound of powder, but just haven't seen a real reason to change from Bullseye. Maybe 2400, but I don't care for 357Mag in the SP101 I currently have. This is probably the only box of 125's I'll use.

These are not jacketed bullets, BTW. Hard cast and lubed.

I'll probably just use some 121grn data. I don't think I'll bother with +P.

I got half a dozen reloading manuals in the other room.

I've reloaded a ton of .38's
I normally load a light load of AA#2.

.38 special is a pretty old round that came out at the dawn of smokeless powders.
I don't think there is a single loading out there that will fill the case. Much like .45 acp.

I prefer light loads as I buy my defensive ammo and in hunting I choose something with a lot more power, .357 magnum.

Anyways.
What pistol powders do you have? I will go look up some loads for you.

I take that back.

I decided to check my Lyman reloading manual.
It says that N110, H110 and IMR-4227 can be loaded up to a compressed charge.
Not something that I would do, but hey, to each his own.

With bullseye:

Lyman Reloading Manual 48th edition
125 Grain Jhp
Bullseye
Starting grains 6.5
Max load grains 8.6 (seems really hot compared to the other 2 books, be careful with this one)

Speer Reloading Manual #13
125 Grain TMJ
Bullseye 4.5 Grains
Only that one charge is listed

Lee Reloading Manual Second Edition
125 Grain Jacketed Bullet
Bullseye 4.3 starting load
4.4 grain max load

Seems that you would get a bunch of rounds our of 1lb of bullseye.
1 lb of powder = 7000 grains
If you dont spill any, and load everything to have 4.4 grains you should get about 1590 rounds.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, one pound of Bullseye has lasted me a good long time. I'm hesistant to change, at least as long as I stick with just 38's. If I got a 9mm, or really anything else, then I probably would get a second powder.

Those look like the loads I have found. I did find for a Lyman 121grn (looks like a RN, definately a lead bullet) going down to 2.8grn! Must be a very light load.

I think 158grn uses 5.6grn for 357Mag (no manuals in front of me at the moment). 6.5grn sounds about right for a Magnum charge behind a 125grn bullet (lighter bullets need more powder, as they accelerate faster).

You sure?

"Looking at jacketed 125grn bullets I see the loadings up around 4-5grn for Bullseye."

That made me think the "125grn trunicated cone bullets for my 38spl" that he mentions are jacketed.

Ah, I see. I wasn't clear in the initial post that these are hardcast lead, no jacket. The are most assuredly hardcast lead, no jacket.

I've tried to do a bit of reading on jacketed vs non-jacketed, and best I can tell, it's anyone's guess as to if the load data does or doesn't work. Lead obiturates better. Lead is also more slippery, so it can run with reduced charges; as a result, jacketed rounds are more easy to stick in the barrel and can have "do not reduce" loading indicated. That said, the loading numbers for run-of-the-mill lead vs jacketed seems to be very similar numbers, only differing on the extreme ends.

Gaah! Yep, you need different loads then.

Yeah, having a hard time finding a loading for Hardcast 125 grain .38 specials.

Lyman 48th edition
120 Grain Linotype
Bullseye starting is 2.8gr
Max load is 4.6 grain -- it is shown in BOLD in the book designating the potentially most accurate loading

The +P loading is 4.9 grains maximum.

That is the only loading I have for a 120 grain Lead bullet using Bullseye.
I got some using a 124 grain lead bullet, but they are not using that powder.

That's about what I saw too. Will probably try some 2.8's, 3.5's and maybe some 4.6's. Not sure if I will do +P. Revolver is a 357Mag, so I'm not worried about doing +P, I just didn't like the blast of some commercial +P 125's that I have (relative to 158 +P).

Thanks for looking!

I have somewhere around 1000 of cast 158gr Lead Semi Wadcutters on hand.
I typically use a charge of 4.0 grains of AA#2 when I load them for .38 Specials. That charge also works well for a bunch of the Copper Plated rounds I load for that also.

AA#2, Bullseye and HP38 are all great for plinking rounds.
You get a ton of rounds for 1lb of powder.

I'll keep those powders in mind. Someday I'm sure I'll have another caliber to reload for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back