Its just a 22 long rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Wait a minute, what is the definition of a quick killer? 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds. I do have a 22 magnum pistol and at 10 feet, 2 shots or one shot to the old head and its over. Of course if ones head is make of concrete and most men fit that category, a 22 will not work there.....................

Aim small miss small. That is why you are trained to shoot center mass not head shots. In the heat of the moment, your physiology often works against you. Dave Grossman's work points this out in his books.

I forget the feller on youtube, has some Ruger 10/22 vids. On it he shows some 36grn CCI Mini-Mag HP's that open up to 0.36". Granted, fired from a 10/22, not from a pistol, so those rounds are hitting the advertised 1,240fps or whatever. Double-aught buck is 60-61grains and moving 1,300fps or so from a 12g (or 20g for the matter), and is about 0.33" diameter. Not the same, but interesting: take a Ruger 10/22, put on a 25rnd magazine, and it might not be so bad--low recoil, lots of shots (think misses)... A man's gotta know his limitations, and a 22 might be the ticket for some.

Yeah the recent set of tests done in American Rifleman show that a HP 22lr round can expand to a decent size. However, I do remember a case of self defense gone wrong when a woman fired a full magazine(pistol) of either 22 or 25acp (I forget) into a assailants chest at point blank range during a robbery. It did kill the intruder but not before the attacker managed to strangle her to death before bleeding out.

I think that out of a rifle it would be an okay self defense option (but on the low end seeing it can penetrate up to 12 inches in gelatin), but Id still be apprehensive to use it except when the alternative is a stick.

Back in my home town a kid got shot 4 times by a 22 pistol, two to the head and two in the back and lived. Lost sight in one eye, but thats his only permanent damage. Had it been a 32acp, 380, or a 9mm he would not be above ground in all probability.

Years and years ago (prolly around the 1996 Oz anti gun hysteria), there was video footage of some American gangs members involved in a shootout.

A lanky looking guy was shot in the liver with a CCI stinger, and went on to continue the fight for another minute, before collapsing and dying.

Gave the talking heads lots to talk about...
"frangible ammunition in our stores"
"Less than a minute to live"
"teenage boy" etc.

Left me wondering what the guy was on to have a liver shot, and carry on like he didn't notice...but also left me sure that it's a way better self defence round than nothing, and better than a lot.

Like the guy said in the very first video,,ur not make to be here long if u have an extra hole that u weren't born with, especially one that is leaking blood .

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Years and years ago (prolly around the 1996 Oz anti gun hysteria), there was video footage of some American gangs members involved in a shootout.

A lanky looking guy was shot in the liver with a CCI stinger, and went on to continue the fight for another minute, before collapsing and dying.

Gave the talking heads lots to talk about...
"frangible ammunition in our stores"
"Less than a minute to live"
"teenage boy" etc.

Left me wondering what the guy was on to have a liver shot, and carry on like he didn't notice...but also left me sure that it's a way better self defence round than nothing, and better than a lot.

I'm curious that they noted it was a Singer, and even more that a gangbanger would have bought “premium” ammunition….

I must admit, part of the reason I bought my 10/22 recently was just for this reason: better than a pointed stick, and fun the rest of the time. But when funds allow, it might get augmented with something a bit “more”.

A .22 is better than a pointed stick, but not the proper tool for the job of instant incapacitation in most circumstances. I suppose you could drop a grizzly bear with a single .22 shot if you hit the right place but it ain't likely to happen that way.

If I'm going to have to shoot someone, I want them to stay shot. I have a .45 1911. But I'm big. For my money, shoot as big as you can safely, conveniently, and effectively, and practice/practice/practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back