What to look for when buying used propane tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out new tank at a retailer (gas station) that also recharge because I prefer not to get the exchange only tank from Blue Rhino and Amerigas. The station staff told me it is $35 for the tank (new) and $20 for the initial charge.

I found on craigslist that locally someone is selling a "90% full" tank that's made in 2012 for $20. I have used propane back in my elementary school age but those were exchange only service back then. I'm wondering what should I look for other than spraying soapy water for leak and whether there's a overcharge protection device on it?

Make sure you check that date of manufacture. Im pretty sure propane tanks are filled by weight not by volume. I don't think there is an overcharge valve on them, just a blowout valve incase the tank is subjected to intense heat.

The knob should have three points. A round knob etc is old school and can't be filled.

Best thing you can do is heft it and look concerned and offer the guy a tenner.
lol.gif

Silly question: Other than making sure the 3 points knob and no leak (soap water), and no corrosion, there shouldn't be any concern should it?

No one really try to scam $20 by filling it with water instead of LPG, right?

Last edited:
Yes, that looks like a new tank and appears to have the OPD device and the old (inside threads) and new (outside threads) connectors. I would buy that tank for $20.

I have a 40 lb cylinder that looks the same as that one but is twice as tall.
http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com

Last edited:
Check the date!

There should be a date stamp somewhere on the tank. After 12 years the tank needs to be recertified or it can't be filled.

The only things I would look for are the DOT certification date and the OPD being there.

I recently bought an empty, used tank on craigslist for $10. Originally manufactured in 1983! But it had been upgraded with the OPD valve and recertified in 2000 (and several times in between) so I figured why not. It wouldn't fill at my local UHaul, so I did a tank exchange at Walgreens for $20 and mailed in the $3 rebate for Blue Rhino tanks.

$27 and a little extra driving around is pretty good for a full tank; $20 picked up is even better!

FWIW, I store my 20 pound propane bottles in milk crates - much easier to store & transport them that way and they don't rust around the bottom ring when you do so.

The tank valve is the correct type and the tank looks clean - no heavy rust. Can't see date stamp.

Been some years but the last few tanks I bought was at Costco for a decent price - and new to boot.

A place near me fills tanks by the "tank" for 20, 30, 40 and by the gallon for 100. So if you come in with a 1/2 full 20 lb tank, they charge you for a full tank. The 100 lb tanks they look at the gallons pumped to charge you. I assume they are weighing it also.

The also stick a small screwdriver in a small hole on the left side of the valve, which either allows them to fill it faster or get a little more in.

the little screw they loosen is connected to a dip tube. when the level reaches the bottom of the dip tube the gas will spray out. that means it's full. I have been exchanging my old style tanks at the blue rhino cage. cheaper than buying a new valve assembly

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Is the blue rhino stuff bad?

no just expensive

And only partly full - 17 lbs of fuel for the 20 lb. tank. Same for Amerigas.

It's a propane tank not a space ship. Just look at it. Any dents or rust that may hender the strength. Doesn't look like it.

Thanks everyone here, I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

I recently bought an empty, used tank on craigslist for $10. Originally manufactured in 1983! But it had been upgraded with the OPD valve and recertified in 2000 (and several times in between) so I figured why not. It wouldn't fill at my local UHaul, so I did a tank exchange at Walgreens for $20 and mailed in the $3 rebate for Blue Rhino tanks.

Just wondering, why wouldn't it refill? I know Blue Rhino use a special valve so you can't refill it at gas station, but what other types of valve should I look for?

I'd prefer something I can fill by the lb / gal instead of tank exchange for cost reason. I'm planning on doing some greasy / fishy / stinky cooking outdoor so it wouldn't stink up the house, and that may use up more than the typical weekend BBQ.

Last edited:
They won't refill them because of age.

As someone else mentioned, they have to be re-inspected after 12 years. So tanks stamped 2000 must be re-inspected before refill.

Nothing special about Blue Rhino tanks. I've done the take the older tank to get a newer one exchange and then refill them at the local equipment rental that gives you the fourth refill for free.

But I don't buy the idea that their valves are different so only they can refill them. I believe there is a standard, and Blue Rhino valves follow the standard.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Thanks everyone here, I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Just wondering, why wouldn't it refill? I know Blue Rhino use a special valve so you can't refill it at gas station, but what other types of valve should I look for?

I'd prefer something I can fill by the lb / gal instead of tank exchange for cost reason. I'm planning on doing some greasy / fishy / stinky cooking outdoor so it wouldn't stink up the house, and that may use up more than the typical weekend BBQ.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Just wondering, why wouldn't it refill?

Because it was older than dirt and the valve didn't work properly. It was last recertified in October 2000 so it was still legally OK to fill.

While I agree that Blue Rhino, Amerigas or similar prefilled tanks may not have a completely full 20 pounds of propane in them, they're within a couple bucks of getting a tank refill and my local UHaul is kind of a pain to get tanks filled. Pull up outside, wait for someone to notice I'm by the propane pump... wait for them to come outside, slowly inspect the tank, etc... Last time it was a 10 minute ordeal to get a single tank filled, whereas it was under 2 minutes to swap the old tank at the Blue Rhino cage at my local Walgreens. $21 to swap the tank close to my house or $17.50 to have it filled, slowly, at a place farther away?

And you absolutely can refill a Blue Rhino tank - all the OPD valves are standardized. I've done it before with no issues.

And you absolutely can refill a Blue Rhino tank - all the OPD valves are standardized. I've done it before with no issues.

Agree. I am currently using a Blue Rhino tank, refilled by U-Haul. When it goes out of date, I will exchange it at Blue Rhino and continue getting it refilled elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Is the blue rhino stuff bad?

no just expensive

And only partly full - 17 lbs of fuel for the 20 lb. tank. Same for Amerigas.

Check again. My last Blue Rhino was 15 pounds - by the label.

I now own my own tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back