2013 hyundai sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is considering the purchase of a brand new sonata with the 2.4 litre engine. I saw on their website that they recommend a 7500 mile OCI, but it did not specify oil type; ie dino, syn. Anyone familiar with this vehicle's requirements? Anything unusual maintenance wise required? She will be clocking about 30k miles per year.

If that's a direct injection engine that would make it a synthetic only vehicle for me. I don't think there's anything else unusual though on a Kia/Hyundai I would buy the OEM filters from the dealer.

I have an 09 but its not a DI I do 5-7k OCI and the oil looks good with DIno but on the DI either cut the changes down to 5k or go Syn with it

I have a non-DI version of the same engine in my Kia, 5K OCI works pretty good on dino for me on UOA results although I'm running synthetic at the moment because I got it cheap.

My driving regimen is 75% short trip, 2.2 miles to work and back. Your daughter's car can probably do the full 7500 if she is driving 30K a year, I'm guessing a lot of highway mileage. I'm only doing about 8-10K a year these days.

On these cars the approved oils are 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 above 0F. I would do UOA and if 5w20 is doing ok, extend. But if there's too much dilution with the DI I would start with 5w30 if you are intending on running full 7500 OCI.

Also I agree to get the OEM filter. I have not found an aftermarket filter that doesn't cause more startup noise than the OEM filter.

As a DIYer, I do 5,000 mile OCIs using 5W20 Kendall GT-1 syn blend (w/titanium) and OEM oil filter (best in the world at ~$6) in my 2012 Hyundai GDI engine.

Hyundai recommends the use of Techron Concentrate Plus at ~7,500 mile intervals if Top Tier gasoline in NOT used.

There are no unusual maintenance requirements and a great warranty.

I have the 2011 Sonata GLS (same engine as the one you are looking at) I have about 20k on it and I usually use PU and an OEM oil filter for 3750-4k miles. The car tends to be picky with oil filters. You want to use an oil that has a low NOACK volatility in a DI engine. I just had a stellar oil analysis from last week hardly any fuel dilution and mine is strictly short trips. If your Daughter is driving 30k per year you could easily do 7.5k oil runs and keep your warranty intact.

It is a great car IMO, and really impressed with the UOA I just got back. I will post it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back