Altimax RT or Dunlop Signature II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a set of new tires for my van. The Nexen 5000 have not held up well after only one year 30k. Won't be buying these again.

I've narrowed my search to two possibilities. First is the General Altimax RT. Second is the Dunlop Signature II. Vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I'm interested in long wear. Any experience with these two tires?

Originally Posted By: otis24
Looking at a set of new tires for my van. The Nexen 5000 have not held up well after only one year 30k. Won't be buying these again.

I've narrowed my search to two possibilities. First is the General Altimax RT. Second is the Dunlop Signature II. Vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I'm interested in long wear. Any experience with these two tires?

I'd choose none of the above? am I allowed
spankme2.gif

There are many choices out there that cost the same and are also thought highly of.

I've been happy with Altimax RTs on one car and HPs on another.
I don't think you'll find a better tire at this price point.

Of those two, the generals.

Though the dunlops might last longer...Just don't expect them to make it to the warranty though...

Are we talking 15's or 16's here?

Edited to add... It doesn't matter. I can't believe I'm saying this, because for some reason this brand just sits wrong with me, but the BFG Premier Touring would be where it's at.

I guess really my only big beef with BFG is that Michelin owns what was once a premier American tire company.

Regardless, they are nice tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Are we talking 15's or 16's here?

Edited to add... It doesn't matter. I can't believe I'm saying this, because for some reason this brand just sits wrong with me, but the BFG Premier Touring would be where it's at.

I guess really my only big beef with BFG is that Michelin owns what was once a premier American tire company.

Regardless, they are nice tires.

True....your thoughts on the touring TAs? (Cheapest BFGs I know)..

Pick 'em. Altimax RT's, Dunlop Sig II's, or BFG Advantage T/A's. Same class. I think out of them all, the BFG's will wear longest.

Is the Touring T/A a club tire?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it is. Same Club appears to be the only place I can find those at. Sorry, but I can't get my hands on them, so I have no real experience with them.

Also, another nice tire is the Toyo Extensa A/S. I have them on my sons car, and have been nothing but impressed with them.

I have the Altimax RT's on my Cobalt. Not exactly sure how many miles are on mine, since I use winter tires December to March, but it's probably around 30K. I have no complaints on noise, and the traction is noticeably better than the OEM tires. Tread wear seems OK, too - probably at least half left so far.

I've had great luck with the Altimax RT tires, thats what I'd pick given the choices. Another tire I'd consider would be Cooper CS4 Touring for a bit more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back