Mobil 0W-20 Super Synthetic Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I finally jumped on the bandwagon and had my first UOA performed for the first time. Over the winter I used 0W-20 Super Synthetic with a K&N HP2010 oil filter in my 2005 Crown Victoria for 5K miles. The reason I changed so soon was I was experiencing start-up noise when the engine was cold or at operating temperature and I couldn't stand to hear it any longer. I drained out the oil and it seemed extremely thin like it had sheared quite a bit??? I normally run 5W-20 Syntec or Edge with the same K&N filter for 6-7K miles but I thought I would try the Mobil 0W-20 Super Synthetic after reading through here about how a thinner oil is better for start-up and it was on sale at O'Reilly's. After changing out the Mobil I thought I would try Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with the usual K&N filter and am debating at how long I could go on this oil change. So far I am extremely satisfied with PP. Any thoughts? I am thinking at least 7-8,000 but may consider going farther since I will be doing some major highway driving this year.

CVoilreport.jpg

Where is the bottom half of the report that lists the viscosity? You could see if it sheared with that information.

The start-up noise could be caused from the anti-drain back valve (ADBV) or lack thereof (does the K&N have one?). Yes; I see that it does on the K&N website.

You could probably run an MC FL-820s for 8K with no worries (I do it for 7500 with no issues) and see if it will stop the start-up noise.

PS...any reason not to stay with the Mobil?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what happened to the bottom half of the report! It shows it on the jpeg that I uploaded. The filter has an ADBV and this was the only time I have heard any startup noise was with the Mobil; never on any other oil I've used. The only reason I use the K&N is because there is little room to get a filter wrench in there because of the speed-sensitive steering solenoid that is up close to the filter and the 1" nut on the end of the K&N makes all the difference. I would use the Motorcraft filter or Wix if clearance wasn't an issue.

Here is the missing part....

CVoilreportPart2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think we can tell anything with out a uoa on a oil that wasn't causing the noise for comparison. The lab states the viscosity was good.

I think that using a K&N filter would cause more engine start up noise than a 0W-20 oil in a Ford Modular. There is nothing wrong with a K&N but I would go with a Motorcraft filter for this application just to try and avoid the start up noise issue.

"I drained out the oil and it seemed extremely thin like it had sheared quite a bit???"

This is one of my favorite expressions I have read on the internet. How can anyone tell the grade of oil by the looks or feeling between the fingers? At least you said seemed.

I've used both filters in the car and never had any issues. When I first bought it I used everything Motorcraft but changing it was a pain because of the steering solenoid location and Advance always ran an oil change special with a K&N so I started using that with no issues until I tried the Mobil. Just asking your opinion but why do you think that the cause would be with the filter?

I agree with you on there is no way that anyone can tell the grade of oil by looks or feeling but compared to the multitude of times I changed the oil before on this car and my Grand Marquis it just seemed thinner. However I will be performing UOA's on my CV for the next few changes just so I can establish a baseline and just because I like to know facts like that to settle my own curiosity.

Originally Posted By: bds1984
I don't know what happened to the bottom half of the report! It shows it on the jpeg that I uploaded. The filter has an ADBV and this was the only time I have heard any startup noise was with the Mobil; never on any other oil I've used. The only reason I use the K&N is because there is little room to get a filter wrench in there because of the speed-sensitive steering solenoid that is up close to the filter and the 1" nut on the end of the K&N makes all the difference. I would use the Motorcraft filter or Wix if clearance wasn't an issue.

Mobil's website shows the cSt at 100°C is 8.6 and the flashpoint is 460°F. The viscosity appears to be within range, but the flashpoint seems low (even by Blackstone's specifications).

There could be fuel dilution, I prefer just once a year to use a Techron treatment or if you have a NAPA near by I have seen a lot of bottles of Valvoline Fuel System treatment bottles on the shelf's. Either along with FP are my favorite fuel systems cleaners on the market.

Wonder what's up with the super low calcium readings on all the black stone Mobil super oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Wonder what's up with the super low calcium readings on all the black stone Mobil super oil analysis.

Sodium subbing.

I have tried 2 K&N oil filters in the past and was disappointed with cold start-up noises in my Tundra V-8. The PureOne filter has the most reliable ADBV of the aftermarket filters I've tried so far.

Originally Posted By: bds1984

Here is the missing part....

CVoilreportPart2.jpg

BAM!! Another case of start-up noise with Mobil Super Syn. I have the same problem and was told the same thing! We are both using quality filters and guess what - the common denominator is the Mobil Super Synthetic oil!!

I am using 5w20 weight and am contemplating draining it at the 4k I'm at now because I can't stand the start-up rattle.

Mobil Super Synthetic is confirmed to be a noisy engine oil...

Originally Posted By: buster
Certainly not the greatest UOA.

I agree. 5000 miles, and the oil has sheared from 8.6 to 7.3 cSt. And the TBN is down to 2.1. Blackstone says TBN can be run down to 1.0, but 2.0 is my low limit for comfort.

mobil super synthetic is a great oil in a modular ford. i ran it for 40k miles in one, it was my favorite. i ran 5k intervals. im betting your filter was the start up issue. the ONLY time i ever had any start up noise is when i didnt use a FL820S. it didnt matter if the other brand of filter had and ADBV it still was onle ever quiet on a ford filter. try the mobil again this time with a FL820S. i know the k&n's are sweet to remove with the nut on the bottom, but modular fords are picky picky on oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back