2007 Kia Spectra EX Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing the transmission fluid on a 2007 Kia Spectra EX the car has 39k on it. The Kia dealer states I need to use SP3 tranny fluid. Should I use Kia fluid or another brand?

As a FWIW, several months ago I changed the transmission fluid in a friend's 2006 Sedona immediately after driving the vehicle and noticing slip during the 2-3 shift. I used Valvoline's MaxLife ATF. The slipping stopped and hasn't returned 15,000 miles later, and the transmission works like new (which is now 132,000 miles ago). Probably any new fluid would have worked; this is just a case of non-OEM fluid functioning without apparent issue.

Originally Posted By: awol350
I am changing the transmission fluid on a 2007 Kia Spectra EX the car has 39k on it. The Kia dealer states I need to use SP3 tranny fluid. Should I use Kia fluid or another brand?

Some people panic if they don't use SP3 spec'd fluid. Valvoline's max life works fine in your application. If money is no object you can get Mobil 1 Universal ATF or AMSOIL.

Regards, JC.

I've noticed that MaxLife gives a SLIGHTLY softer shift. Not mushy, just softer.

I've done 3 pan drain and fills on the Optima this spring. First was MaxLife, which I ran for about 2 weeks (500 miles), and wasn't as impressed with it in the Kia, as I was with it in my old chevy lumina. The next was Eneos SP3 that I got from Napa, and about 500 miles later, I replaced with Kia SP3 that I got from the dealer, at nearly double the cost of the Eneos. The transmission is back to shifting like it used to.

I would agree with the general consensus though; SP3 isn't a very good fluid, as it oxidizes easily. I plan on doing a pan drain and fill once a year in the spring.

Valvoline now has a multi-import full synthetic (not Maxlife) ATF on the market, so I may give that a shot. Apparently MaxLife and Lubeguard Platinum are a good mix too.

Good Luck!

I'd personally use Maxlife ATF as I have in other 2008+ Hyundai, Honda and Toyota applications, regardless of warranty ramifications.

It's spec'd for and works perfectly for Hyundai/Kia SPIII applications.

In years of following this stuff, I have yet to hear of a warranty concern where Maxlife ATF was used. Never once.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back