Do the 2005 Toyota 4Runner V6 use a Timing Belt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the 2005 4Runner V6 use a Timing Belt ?
I checked the Gates application guide and did not give info.

Does this transmission have a regular drain plug for the ATF ?

Largest oil filter for this engine ?

Thanks

If its not listed in Gates, its probably a chain. I looked up on RockAuto and its a chain and there is a drain plug for the transmission. Most Toyota's have a drain plug for the transmission pan. It takes a large metric wrench if I remember.

It looks to have a drain and refill plug on the transmission. I do not think it has a dipstick. The drain plug has a second plug in the center. To check the fluid level you remove the center plug and if fluid comes out it is good. I had to service the transmission on a 2004 Ford Explorer with the same set up. It was kind of a pain.

It uses three chains. 1 that connects the crank to the intake camshafts, and 2 that connect the intake camshafts to their exhaust camshafts. How do I know this? Because I had to replace the head gaskets in mine last fall (at 88k miles)...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2385960

I use a PL20195 filter on mine. It's a larger filter than stock. There may be larger ones available.

Mine does not have a little drain plug in the center of the main drain plug. You have to check the transmission fluid level above a certain temperature. Google how to do this. It's easy.

I see now it has a main drain plug at the rear of the pan. Does it have the plug in the center of the overflow plug or do you just remove the overflow plug completely? Or does it have a dip stick?

The Explorer was a plug inside of a plug and you checked the fluid with it running. There was no dip stick. It wanted a steady stream which is fine to tell if you are above the minimum fill level, but doesn't give any indication if you are over filled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
cpayne5,

Thanks for the info. Its my sister's 4Runner and was asking about necessary maintenance at 100K miles.

Mine just hit 100k a couple weeks ago. I did the transmission service 2 months ago with MaxLife ATF. It took a while, but relatively easy.

Sorry for off topic a little bit. First second and now even third gen 4R have head gasket failures. Saw a brand new 4th gen yesterday at the parking lot. 40k$ car. When he bought it a few weeks ago. Don't think he would expect that problems! Toyota really think about this HG issue with their six bangers. Should give domestic a shot to choose and suv or truck or v6 or v8 trucks.

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Sorry for off topic a little bit. First second and now even third gen 4R have head gasket failures. Saw a brand new 4th gen yesterday at the parking lot. 40k$ car. When he bought it a few weeks ago. Don't think he would expect that problems! Toyota really think about this HG issue with their six bangers. Should give domestic a shot to choose and suv or truck or v6 or v8 trucks.

Mine is a 4th gen. The current ones are 5th generation.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Mine is a 4th gen. The current ones are 5th generation.

Yes sir, you are correct. Then, 2, 3, 4 all have HG problems. Unbelievable.

I thought only the 3.0's had headgasket problems, and even that was resolved? Never heard of issues on the 3.4, although the 4.0's are newer and anything new can have, err, new problems pop up.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
One last question.

Do I need to remove the skid plate to get to the oil pan drain plug ?

No. There should be an oval shaped plastic piece attached to the metal skid. Remove that and the drain plug will be right there.

Mostly the '03s and '04s of the 4th gens having HG issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back