BG 44k waste of money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried BG 44k a few months ago on a sticky fuel injector. Cost a small fortune. Smells like any other fuel injector cleaner (STP) but many times more $$$$. Didn't do anything. Finally had to take it to the shop and let them flush the injectors. That did it.

You may have had a problem that an off-the-shelf product couldn't fix. I wouldn't blame the product without knowing what was really wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
You may have had a problem that an off-the-shelf product couldn't fix. I wouldn't blame the product without knowing what was really wrong.

Yup. Or there could of been so much junk built up that it would of took two or three treatments, who knows.
I had a co-worker that was going to have all the injectors replaced and I suggested a HD flush first. Well he just used what the Auto Parts store suggested and not what I suggested,anyway he said it didn't help, after getting him to do it MY way, he noticed an improvement but complained it wasnt NORMAL, and after I think THREE treatments it was back to normal.

I've used BG 44K before and I could tell the difference before I even got home. As what the others said, it depends how dirty your system is.

Well, As a ASE Mastertech in Auto and MD/Heavy trucks I can tell you there is no such thing as a cure all "mechanic in a can". I would have suggested doing a real flush with BG chemical kits rather than part 1 of the three chemical kit. 44k seems to work better as a follow up, preventive measure, or clean up for a small problem rather than a fix all for an existing condition,although I have seen it open stuck injectors after running in the tank 5 times normal strength and letting the truck sit for a weekend.

Not diagnosing it anything is possible.

BG44K was THE stuff in the late '80s and early '90s. I used to work at a Datsun repair shop and thats all we used. It worked great as long as the car didn't have a "terminal" injector problem.

What kinda of driving did you do during the 44K add/fill up?

Highway type driving I heard is not the way to go with 44K,better off with city type short trip stuff so the 44k has more of a chance to work by sitting on the deposits more.

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I've used BG 44K before and I could tell the difference before I even got home. As what the others said, it depends how dirty your system is.

Same Here!!

Oh my goodness! that BG stuff at work-ALL of it. to do p.s flushes, trans flushes, engine flushes, brake flushes, butt flushes...oh wait...thats somethin else entirely..
smile.gif

if you want ill get the CAS numbers off the cans and yall can see what the stuff REALLY is. the 44K crap,....err....i mean...stuff, is partially made w/ isopropyl alchohol as one ingredient. the others are similar cleaning agents like napathenic solvents? it hink thats the term used. anyways, let me know....i go in tommorrow.

Christopher, I'm all ears waiting for the results of what K44 really is.

I've heard that the Motorvac solvent used in their injector cleaning machine is an amonia based cleaner that disloves carbon on contact. Has anyone tested this? How well does amonia do when burned in an engine?

Worked for me too. I suspect it's pretty strong stuff as it took the the TBN of my oil down to 2.something in about 2k miles
gr_eek2.gif
. This oil was 9 quarts of Mobil Super13000 15w40 in a BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back