1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinions on this truck? I'm looking to get a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed 4x4 with the V10 engine.

Only issue I can think of is the dash cracking issue, but there's a huge aftermarket for these trucks so I could replace that. And gas mileage.

Don't know too much about the V10 other than it doesn't make that much power for its size. Might be further ahead going with a 5.9L gasser or a diesel. I do love that generation of Ram though, overall they are great trucks.

I wonder how the trannys hold up behind the 10 cylinder...if the 318 kills them,the V10 must be brutal on them.

Front end can/will be a money pit. Jack up each side and wiggle. Or better yet, have an good shop inspect it. You can spend 2k or more on rebuilding the front end. If you are going to have a Ram that old, try to get a Cummins. The V10 could still be a good deal if it is 50% less than a cummins model. 10 mpg or less for city/towing. That may not matter if you are going to drive it very little per year.

I just got the front end rebuilt on my 2001 Ram last week (2wd), and it cost $1400. I can see a 4wd costing more. My truck has 200K on it, and it was wandering all over the road. I just couldn't stand it anymore. It was almost as bad as driving my riding mower. Now the thing tracks true, but it's going to take a while getting over the repair bill.

I have a 1999 3/4 ton with 2WD and love the truck. Its got a Cummins diesel. Except for the $100 oil pressure sensor, everything is great.

Its got Carwell sprayed under it, so hopefully it will last awhile.

Yes it has a crack on the passenger dash, but I don't look there.

I am close to 30 MPG I think.

I cannot imagine how much gas a V10 would take.

on the dash pad, there are replacement glue on covers, but i would just go for a dash carpet. that vintage truck looks terrible anyway even if the dash is pristine
smile.gif

Since you are in Hawaii i suppose the market for cummins trucks is insanely expensive. either get the 5.2L because it is rock solid reliable, or the cummins.

The trans is the 47RE, which in my opinion it is pure JUNK! The axles and T-cases should be solid. The engine could have an issue with the intake manifold gasket like GM. My 98.5 CTD had the rear brake light leak, the quad cab doors rattled badly, the dash looked like a bowling ball dropped on it. The gauge cluster was replaced twice, had a short in the steering that required you to raise and lower the tilt about 50 times to get the key to start the truck, a few AC compressors, mine was 3500 DRW 4x4 that ate front tires...etc. I had the thing 1 year and 9k miles. couldn't unload it FAST enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back