castrol syntec/edge 5w-40 vs valvoline syn 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. What is your opinions between those two motor oil brands? Does valvoline synpower 5w-40 can give good or better protection over some more expensive 5w-40 motor oils in his class? Is ok to pay a 7.17$ per quart at walmart?

Unless it's a mistake that hasn't been corrected in two years, Castrol 5W/40 Syntec has a strangely low HTHS (High Temp/High Shear) number of 2.9, whereas competitors' oils of the same weight are typically around 3.6 - 3.8. At least for VW/Audis, HTHS numbers are an important piece of the puzzle, and are reflected in the well-known VW 502 certification. Unless there's a good explanation for the low Castrol number that I’m not aware of, personally, I'd look to another brand.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

Originally Posted By: TC
Unless it's a mistake that hasn't been corrected in two years, Castrol 5W/40 Syntec has a strangely low HTHS (High Temp/High Shear) number of 2.9, whereas competitors' oils of the same weight are typically around 3.6 - 3.8. At least for VW/Audis, HTHS numbers are an important piece of the puzzle, and are reflected in the well-known VW 502 certification. Unless there's a good explanation for the low Castrol number that I’m not aware of, personally, I'd look to another brand.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf

Wrong. Castrol is NOTORIOUS for only listing the "minimum" value for that grade, not the actual.

Syntec 5w40 is 3.5 or better because it meets ACEA A3/B4.

Personally I would not pay $7/qt for that Castrol. Mobil 1 0w40 is a far better oil in almost every application and can routinely be had for qt.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Personally I would not pay $7/qt for that Castrol. Mobil 1 0w40 is a far better oil in almost every application and can routinely be had for qt.

I am sorry I have seen a lot more Castrol 5W40 UOA's than what is posted on this site and far as wear #'s, TBN retention, and both tend to shear into the high 30 grade range both are very comparable. So how is M-1 0W40 far better?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dave1251
So how is M-1 0W40 far better?

M1 has higher VI and meets more stringent mfg specs.

This.

I always enjoy the folks that mix different oils and guess what,it works. What do you say to that. Mobil, QS,Purple,Valvoline,all are good oils. I never lost an engine with any oil related failure, it was usually something else. When in doubt, use what the owners manual says to use. Ran alot of cars on what many today would call antique oils, like in the 60's era of life.

If your a soccer Mom and Dad family folks, don't read to much into add paks, and all that data, enjoy life. Hey, most oils on the shelf at Wallys, or AZ will work. Have fun, your engine will not explode.

So how is M-1 0W40 far better?

M1 has higher VI and meets more stringent mfg specs.

Meets more stringent mfs specs.

M-1

Mobil 1™ 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

Castrol EDGE 5W-40
ACEA A3/B4
Approved for VW 502 00/ 505 00;
BMW Longlife-01,
MB-Approval 229.3, 229.5
Porsche A40 (refer to vehicle manual).

So a exclusive contract with XOM for the Nissan GT-R makes it a superior oil?

What is the VI for Castrol because I can not find it?

If you know the KV40 and KV100 you can calculate the VI but I think it's around 170.

I agree with the others, just go with M1 0W-40. If you need a 40wt oil there's nothing even worth considering for the price.

Where are you going to use this 5w40 oil?

Shell RTS 5w40 works extremely well, and it is not expensive for a full synthetic oil.

Castrol EDGE 5W-40
ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01,
MB-Approval 229.3, 229.5

Edge 5w-40 does not meet MB 229.5. And this is one of the most stringent passenger motor oil specs today.

Castrol EDGE 5W-40
ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01,
MB-Approval 229.3, 229.5

Edge 5w-40 does not meet MB 229.5. And this is one of the most stringent passenger motor oil specs today.

I guess Edge TITANIUM 5W-40, does as advertised, but Edge Syntec does not.
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you know the KV40 and KV100 you can calculate the VI but I think it's around 170.

I agree with the others, just go with M1 0W-40. If you need a 40wt oil there's nothing even worth considering for the price.

Interesting, what about on this pricing (in Australia)

M1 0w40 $94/5L
Edge 0w40 $85/5L
Edge 5w40 $75/5L
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 $63/5L
Valvoline Synpower 5w40 $60/5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back