Can tire shine damage tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using tire shine on the sidewalls of my tires after the past few washes. I don't spray directly on the tire--instead, I spray on a paper towel and wipe on. The bottle says that it helps protect against UV rays, but I am wondering if the tire shine will actually cause any damage to the tires i.e. premature sidewall aging.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I have been using tire shine on the sidewalls of my tires after the past few washes. I don't spray directly on the tire--instead, I spray on a paper towel and wipe on. The bottle says that it helps protect against UV rays, but I am wondering if the tire shine will actually cause any damage to the tires i.e. premature sidewall aging.

I think it's likely to, especially if it contains silicones or petroleum distillates, as many of these products do.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

I think it's likely to, especially if it contains silicones or petroleum distillates, as many of these products do.

Actually the opposite. Most dressings now a days are water based and will not harm tires. There are few products in the market now that contain these. Even Armorall has switched to a safe water based dressing.

While it wont add years to your tires it will make them look nice and what UVA/UVB protection will help but aesthetics is the main reason why people put tire dressing.

Only tire product I've used is "No Touch". It's a spray and walk away. Seems to clean the tire and not leave that wet shiny look - more of a clean satin finish which I prefer.
When I used to 4-wheel, I say a group using the stuff so I been using it myself since. Not often, only when I feel like it.
The original in the white can - not sure but seems like they also make a shiny finish product too.

Last edited:
Protectants,etc,will dry rot all rubbers and plastics. Plus,all it does is attract dirt. Try Pledge. Best stuff to use imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back