Motorcycle fuel treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like using Techron on my truck for fuel system cleaning, but ive never put alot of thought into my motorcycles. Ive used MMO in the fuel tank (just tinkering) and ive dumped staybill and Heat in them. But i dont think ive ever added a straight carb/fuel injector cleaner (that i can remember anyways)..

what are other bikers using in the gas tanks of your bikes..

Techron has worked for 20 years for me in the Beemer. I use it less now than 10 years ago. The BP premium with Invigorate has kept the carbs clean and after 20 years the bike carburates better than ever.

'90 ZX-7. Worked as a haz waste chemist. Lots of of old/offspec HPLC solvents came my way. Started w/ iso-octane (trimethylpentane). Added nitros (methane, ethane, pentane) MTBE was next. Ran good on ~10% nitro 15% iso 5% MTBE. this was when the F1 guys were on 'exotic' fuels so I thought I'd give it a try. if it had high octane fuel value, I'd dump it in, lol!
was good for a coupla' tenths in the quarter and 5-7 mph on top end...no problems ever. now I just use techron...

Originally Posted By: Tay
using FP60.

Im not familiar with this product.. im going to look it up

StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment here. It's my first time using it after catching it on closeout at Home Depot. I stabilized the bikes and OPE stuff last winter. Everything started fine this spring, and in fact, I've been so busy, I'm still burning the tank of fuel from October in my ST1300. I've continually treated the OPE fuels, and think the stuff is OK. In carburated bikes, I always run MMO. I've just had good results keeping petcocks working, floats floating, and jets and float bowls clean with it. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Tay
using FP60.

Im not familiar with this product.. im going to look it up

i have use MMO,Redline SI-1, TCW3 and found FP60 work the best for me.

Seafoam.

In the 20+ years that I've been using it, I've not had the carb off of any of my power equipment.

My riding lawnmower has cut 16 seasons and that Stihl chainsaw is 18 years old.

Everything else is at lest ten years old.

We've been running that 10% ethanol mix forever. No 100% gasoline around these parts.

Of course, I COULD just be lucky. Can't prove that Seafoam does anything, but it appears that it doesn't do any harm.

Last edited:
kb, that's really good!

the fuel lines in my poulan melted inside the cases and my chainsaw is now worthless.

now my lawnboy is 19 years old and i have replaced the piston in it 4 years ago, but gets abused. leftover bike oil. leftover bike fuel.
oh, wait, that stuff is better than most will ever see! lol!
i put mmo in a dish with that piston and let it sit for 3 months and it never cleaned the piston. not sure what mmo really does.

i've run mmo in my bikes as well. mmo is a very good top end lube and i've seen dyno runs were it adds hp by increasing ring seal.

steve

I don't know squat about marvel Mystery oil.... but many moons ago, I worked in a bike shop and it was 20 miles from town. Every now and then, a brand new bike would seize up, 15 miles down the road. These were 4-stroke motors.

A sales guy came by with a case of MMO and a sales pitch..... and the owner bought some.

We started adding about two ounces each tank for every new bike that went out the door, and that cured the occasional motor seize-up.

I'm guessing that a couple ounces of 2-stroke oil might have had the same effect.

I add about one-ounce of marine two-stroke oil to five gallons of gas to the last tank or two I run for the season in order to coat the inside of the tank and the fuel system before storage. I also run marine StaBil (the blue stuff) in all my gas used in my outboards and my motorcycle. Helps to keep ethanol gas fresh and also seems to keep the fuel system clean. I double the StaBil dose for the last tank of the season and then fill to the tippy top.

All great information, As im well stocked on Techron i will put some in both bikes, i dont know that it needs it but it cant hurt.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

the fuel lines in my poulan melted inside the cases and my chainsaw is now worthless.

The exact same thing happend to my Poulan. I left gas in it for over a year (I thought I had drained it) and the line just fell apart. It can be replaced but it's a serious pain to do. I know. But, my once useless saw that was headed for the garbage has since given my a few more good years of great service.

I dumped B12 in everything in my SIG this week.. (minus the autos) just to say i did it.. im sure some cleaning is being done.

I'm using a maintainer dose in my oldest carb bike (97 harley). Only have gone through 2 tanks, will start another dose on next ride as it will need the tank filled.
Using Redline S-1.

I dump an oz of Stabil in my motercycle gas tank at least every other fill up. Been doing that for a few years. I put Stabil in everyting I own on a regular basis, probably overkill but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back