New ACDelco oil filter cut open same as Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACDelco UPF48R is identical to Mobil 1 M1-113 extended performance oil filter. The ACDelco UPF48R can be used anywhere a PF48 is required. I cut both filters open new and there is absolutely no difference. The ACDelco is painted black in color just like the Mobil 1 filter. Found them at autoparts tomorrow for less than $9.00 each.

I have a 2009 Silverado that uses a PF48. The UPF48R was originally designed for the Corvette to withstand higher oil pressures. The U stands for Ultragaurd and the R stands for racing. The regular PF48 is a Duragaurd filter. GM calls this filter a performance premium oil filter. Called a local dealership and they wanted $17.00. AC Delco part number 12626224. Corvettes factory oil fill is Mobil 1 and I was told the Ultragaurd has a synthetic filter media.

Originally Posted By: rayh698
I have a 2009 Silverado that uses a PF48. The UPF48R was originally designed for the Corvette to withstand higher oil pressures. The U stands for Ultragaurd and the R stands for racing. The regular PF48 is a Duragaurd filter. GM calls this filter a performance premium oil filter. Called a local dealership and they wanted $17.00. AC Delco part number 12626224. Corvettes factory oil fill is Mobil 1 and I was told the Ultragaurd has a synthetic filter media.

^^^^This.

But I still have not seen ANY of these in my size(s) (UPF46, or whatever the 2000 Silverado 4.8s and 5.3s used if I want a longer filter than stock) for at least 8 years now.
frown.gif

I was told they discontinued making these filters in other sizes due to the lack of people willing to pay more for this premium filter. I lucked out because my Silverado uses the PF48 and so does the Corvette. They started making the UPF48R filters for newer Corvettes due to the higher oil pressure. I can buy them online for $8.62 which is cheaper than the Mobil 1 M1-113

I'm interested in seeing the pics.

But remember, just because they have the same design and construction doesn't mean they have the same filter media. They could have the same media, but if there's a significant price difference, I would guess the media could be different.

My thread about the 48R

I asked the question...is the PF48 and the UPF48R interchangeable...the short answer from one poster is no. Read about halfway down the thread. Take it for whats it worth, but we ended up going with a Bosch D+ for the Burb.

That thread is incorrect. The filter does not have a check valve. The person may be talking about the ADBV. The UPF48R and the PF48 are interchangeable. Use the UPF48R as it is a premium filter.

Actually acdelco only has one part number for this filter. The high cost is only buying it at the dealer where everything is overpriced. Amazon and many other online retailers sell these filters for much cheaper.

When I think about it, this filter could be VERY specific to the LS7/LSA/LS9 engines, since there could be special circumstances involved with their dry sump systems, oil tanks, and oil coolers.

GM Boy, or others???

Originally Posted By: rayh698
I will take pictures tomorrow and post.

tomorrow never came! pics please!!

Quote:
When I think about it, this filter could be VERY specific to the LS7/LSA/LS9 engines, since there could be special circumstances involved with their dry sump systems, oil tanks, and oil coolers.

GM Boy, or others???

we discussed this in the other related thread, they're fully interchangeable. The orginal filters did not have a pressure release valve, the new ones do. There's the chance that the valve is set to a different pressure but I haven't researched this yet, or seen any data regarding it. All that can be said for certian is in the techlink I linked in the other thread, GM (or a source claimaing to be GM) is saying it's fully interchangeable with the PF48 and that the internals are identical to the PF48.

I have the OE break-in PF48 filter still, and I plan on cutting a UPF48R open if the OP doesn't deliver; oil filter cutter ORDERED.

I'd like to know the dimensions of the media of that filter if you get a change to measure, especially media surface area. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back