"German Castrol" 0W-30 @ AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw what was once the exclusive providence of AutoZone, then PepBoys at Advance Auto: GC 0W-30 SYNTEC. I apologize if someone has already posted this...

By the way, I was just yesterday at PepBoys in San Antonio waiting for car's AC check to be finished and saw that they have two Castrol formulas for German cars. One is Castrol EDGE with SPT 0W30 (made in Germany, GC) and the other was 5W40 EDGE made in USA.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
AAP has arrived at the station; too bad the train left years ago.

LOL!
But only because your post is so true.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Are you talking about Castrol Edge 0W30 $8.79?

Available only in selected stores in my area.

Castrol Edge with SYNTEC.

Quote:
Thanks, I assume it is stamped at 2011 or 2012 with the newer bottle?

Yes. All bottles were brand-spanking new and marked "Made in Germany"...

Does anyone know why they discontinued the well known and respected brand "Syntec"?

Same oil new name......marketing.

Does anyone know why they discontinued the well known and respected brand "Syntec"?

Back in the day, "Syntec" was their top of the line brand. With other manufacturers introducing new top of the line products (M1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra, etc.), Castrol went ahead and introduced Edge (already present in many other countries). I suppose having both Edge and Syntec in the lineup was causing some confusion among consumers. After all, Syntec "sounds like" something to do with synthetic, while Edge does not. Maybe some customers thought that Syntec was the better of the two products, while in reality Castrol wanted people to think that Edge is the better one.

So now it's all Edge, but one is Edge with Titanium and the other is Edge with SPT (Syntec Power Technology).

By the way, I'm not really sure that "Syntec" was such a respected brand. It is the brand that was associated with the whole NAD ruling against ExxonMobil (group III vs group IV/V) and was thought to be a "fake synthetic" by many.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
0w30 castrol syntec are made in. New Jersey

Not all of it...

GC_SPT3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back