change of oil after BG 44k? need some quick advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone..

I'm planning to use BG 44K in my 1997 4.6L v8 (82,ooo miles), I'm not sure it has any deposit/carbon related problems, but I just want to use it and see if anything improves...

those who've already used B44: is it really neccessary to change oil+filter soon after using BG 44K? If so, why? does it get into oil passages? is this instruction on the can itself? How were the results of BG 44k?
What is the best place to get this stuff?

Thanks in advance....
-Nishan.

I've seen the recommendation about changing oil after use of BG44K, but not on the can. Actually, I've seen this on the internet, which sometimes contains a wee bit of misinformation.
And there are a lot of dealers who dump a can in the tank after (or during) a service which usually includes an oil change.

Normally only available at service facilities, but have seen it on the shelf in some auto parts stores. Runs anywhere from about $15 to over $20.
Might check with BG to find a source.

I too am interested in the correct application of BG44K. After doing my research on the web, the general consensus seems to be:

1. Near an empty gas tank, put BG44K in, and fill up
2. Use up the gas as fast as possible
3. Change fuel filter, oil and oil filter

I have also read to change the fuel filter BEFORE you put the BG44K in.

However, I didn't see such instructions anywhere on the BG44K can and usually the BG44K is sold as part of a treatment package of 3 different BG products. I recently used BG44K in my car, a 1990 3.0 liter V6 with 70k miles well taken care of, and it made no difference. I hope that's good news meaning my TLC of the car is working well or it could mean that I didn't use BG44K properly?

Regardless if I were to do that again, I'd instead go to a mechanic that regularly performs that 3 BG product treatment which involves directly feeding the entire BG44K undiluted into the fuel line and cleaning of the throttle body. Best price for that service, I found was $80 when I was shopping of BG44K.

Cheapest price I seen for the can itself was $16 at extrememotorsports .I suggest buying 3 since after shipping each can comes to about $18 each instead of about $23 for one. I also saw it being sold a few times on ebay.

[ June 29, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I think that it would not be abad idea to change oil after wards. Let say it works. If all of the carbon and other hard deposits are not going to be consumed and dispelled through the exhaust. Some of this junk is going to be recirculated by the egr system. SOme of it is going to blow by and into the oil. I have no hard facts for this just opion. I figure in the abscence of fact I would rather air on the side of caustion!
Alot of todays cars are going to multi hole injectors. Instead of one hole some have 12. Well as you can imagine those 12 holes are very small. Their has been a lot of papers written on the lack of proper detrengcy in modern fuels sold in the USA. GM, SAAB and BMW have all written papper's that have been presented to ASE for publication.

[ June 29, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

I've also heard of changing the fuel filter BEFORE using BG 44k...what can be the reason for this? b/c the dirt already trapped in the old fuel filter can get desolved by BG 44 and then all THAT will be running thorugh the engine?

I wonder if anyone has called the BG products and asked them about this...perhaps I'll do it soon...

I live in Oak Ruidge, TN and there are no BG44 service shops which do the whole decarbonizing procediure, although there are several places which does similar things, but not with BG products..my only option is to put a can in the tank...

I'll let you know if I call BG products. Thanks for the feedback so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back