Bought a new Mazda CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I know I said earlier that I was buying a Mazda3 Hatchback. Well, at the dealer today, we found the CX-5. It was phenomenal, it is perfect. It drives perfect, the transmission light years ahead of the one in the cruze in terms of smoothness, shift quality, and programming.

The interior is ridiculously nice. High quality, the gauges are beautiful. I ilked my cruze, but this just leaves it in the dust. The engine is so smooth, and you'd never believe it's a 2.0L 4 banger under the hood. Mazda has really hit a home run with the CX-5. We take delivery tomorrow night.

It's a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring with AWD, and the 6speed Automatic, with remote start, and the tech package which gets a leather wrapped steering wheel, Bose Centerpoint 10 speaker audio system, Blind spot monitor mirrors, and so on. The only engine is the skyactiv 2.0L I-4 which I'll get too in more detail below.

Now, first since I'm sure a lot of you are asking "why", I'll tell you. There are several reasons. First of all, ever since I started my 60 mile a day, 5 day a week commute, I've been growing less happy with my cruze. Gas mileage is disappointing, especially considering it's on premium fuel. The transmission is horrid at low speeds, stop and go traffic which I'm in for half an hour on the way home every day. It's jerky, shifts are rough. Once cruising, or at normal city driving it's fine, but stop and go is not pleasant. Also, we needed to get my car out of my mom's name so she can get her car out of my dad's credit., so they can get a mortage on a house in the next year or two. That wasn't anticipated back when we bought the cars last year.

So because of that, she is mulling over trading her equinox which she really does love, except for the really bad turning circle, and teh gas mileage with the V6, in for a lightly used Subaru Outback, and saving a ton of money in the process. For a few months now I've been more open to buying a foreign car, and strangely so has she.

When she test drove the CX-5 and the Outback she was amazed at the turning circle, and also how much "lighter" and more nimble they felt than the nox. So now she's basically sold on that.

Back to my cruze we needed to get it out of her name. And considering that the dealer was willing to give me within $1,000 of what I owe on the cruze, and everything considered, I decided to just trade it instead of refinancing it into just my name.

Filled out the loan application, came back approved for $30,000 with a 4.79% APR for 72 months. Which we were staggered by. I knew my credit was good because of how careful I've been since day 1, but I wasn't expecting that. The dealer went out of their way to help us make it work too. Now that I'm making 35-50k a year, and I don't have many other bills, I can easily afford it, and still put some into a 401k, IRA, and savings. It's not like I'm overstretching myself.

Now I was originally looking at the Mazda3 Hatch. Then I found this, which is just better. It's quieter, the interior is better, it has more room, it's built better, it has more low end torque. All around, it's just better. And it's AWD so it should be good in the snow here, especially since I have my new commute as far as it is. I wanted something bigger, I wanted more room. And I probably won't be sacrificing much in the way of MPG, as it seems like people are easily beating the fuel economy estimates, which is 28 combined, 31 highway. That's like, really good considering it's a crossover.

That brings me to the powertrain. It's the new Skyactiv-G 2.0L 4 cylinder. It's 155HP, and it has 150lb/ft of torque. If you dont' know about the skyactiv stuff, here is the link to Mazdas CX-5 explanation. It has a 4-2-1 exhaust header, 13:1 compression, Multi-fire Direct-Injection, and it can still run on regular 87 octane gas. I like it. instead of using tricks to acheive better gas mileage on the EPA test, they actually went out and improved the basics. Mazda has hit it exactly right with this car. It feels powerful, and it's smooth. The transmission and engine are matched perfectly. Honestly, I don't think Mazda could have done a better job.

Anyway this is what it looks like, I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures tomorrow night once I take delivery. This is what it looks like though.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/skyactiv.action

this first one is the color it is.
ad7fad444d234bb6bf5f44f802892881.jpg

mazdaCX5_2.jpg

2013_Mazda_CX-5_press_3-thumb-530x409-17936.jpg

Here are the Mazda Skyactiv videos. They are really well done, and do a good job of explaining things in laymans terms.

Last edited:
Mazda builds great cars! I sold my 2008 Mazdaspped 3 and have regretted it ever since. There is a very good chance I'll buy another before they discontinue it.

Good luck with your new car, I'm sure it will serve you well. Also, your Cruze experience reminds me of why I gave up on GM years ago.

I can't believe what I'm reading: after all the tirades we had here in BITOG in the past about buying American, Nick R has bought a non-American car, and he even admitted that it's superior. The world is coming to an end!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I can't believe what I'm reading: after all the tirades we had here in BITOG in the past about buying American, Nick R has bought a non-American car, and he even admitted that it's superior. The world is coming to an end!
lol.gif

Lal I knew this was coming. I've never said that I hated non-american cars. But over the past few months I've felt a growing affinity for Japan, and mom was ready to consider something different too. Add in the fact that the CX-5 is just a great car. Mom did kind of have a moment of "omg" when she saw the window sticker. 5% domestic parts content, 90% Japan, engine, transmission and final assembly Japan lol. Also heres the thing. The cruze I liked, but even from the word go it never felt "right". it's difficult to explain. When I sit in this car, and drive this car, it just feels "right" it takes me forever to find the comfortable seating position in the cruze. In the CX-5 it took me all of 10 seconds. It just feels "Right", if that makes sense.

Last edited:
The CX-5 meets part of the segment that the domestics dont - an MT fitted mini SUV.

Too bad that isnt what was bought...
shocked2.gif

But I could see buying one for that reason over, say, an equinox, because its 4 cyl cant be had with a manual...

The 4.79% on a new car on the other hand...
smirk.gif
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The CX-5 meets part of the segment that the domestics dont - an MT fitted mini SUV.

Too bad that isnt what was bought...
shocked2.gif

But I could see buying one for that reason over, say, an equinox, because its 4 cyl cant be had with a manual...

The 4.79% on a new car on the other hand...
smirk.gif
crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

Honestly we were expecting the bank to come back with 8% or more, in which case it would have to wait. Reason for this is I've only had credit for 2 years, and only 1 of those with a major loan in my name. So that interest rate was phenomenal. Don't forget, it's a 72 month loan, so the interest rate is going to be slightly higher. I would have considered the manual if it wasn't for the traffic I drive in every day, and that they only one's they had were the base sport model, and that's not what I wanted.

This is the last new car I plan to buy for a long, long time. I wanted to get the car I wanted, with the stuff I wanted, instead of settling for something less.

72 months? You have to be joking. You can't afford that vehicle in any way, 36 months would have been a terrible term. You should have waited or downgraded substantially IMO.

You realize that 72 months is 6 years. Much can happen in that time. And youll be making payments when the car is 5+ years old and has who knows how many miles. That means youll be upside down for a long time.

But good luck with it now that youre signed up.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The cruze I liked, but even from the word go it never felt "right". it's difficult to explain. When I sit in this car, and drive this car, it just feels "right" it takes me forever to find the comfortable seating position in the cruze.

Strange. Reading your past posts on the Cruze, it seems like it was the cat's meow...

Quote:

Solidly made, strong build quality, fit and finish. Interior materials are high quality, a huge departure from GM compacts of old. Ride is athletic and still comfy. Seats are extremely supportive and comfortable. Engine has plenty of torque, transmission is usually quite good and smooth. Big boot. Quiet ride.

And yeah, that 4.79% APR is not considered good credit by any stretch of imagination these days. What is your credit score?

72 months? You have to be joking. You can't afford that vehicle in any way, 36 months would have been a terrible term. You should have waited or downgraded substantially IMO.

Uh, I make over $3,000 per month. The payment is less than $500. I have my insurance, which is $165/mo. I have no other major bills. So I can't afford this car how...? I just prefer to finance it for longer than shorter.

And youll be making payments when the car is 5+ years old and has who knows how many miles.

No he won't. He'll trade it in for yet something else within a year.

The cruze I liked, but even from the word go it never felt "right". it's difficult to explain. When I sit in this car, and drive this car, it just feels "right" it takes me forever to find the comfortable seating position in the cruze.

Strange. Reading your past posts on the Cruze, it seems like it was the cat's meow...

Quote:

Solidly made, strong build quality, fit and finish. Interior materials are high quality, a huge departure from GM compacts of old. Ride is athletic and still comfy. Seats are extremely supportive and comfortable. Engine has plenty of torque, transmission is usually quite good and smooth. Big boot. Quiet ride.

And yeah, that 4.79% APR is not considered good credit by any stretch of imagination these days. What is your credit score?

My credit score came back as 750. The reason I didn't get a lower interest rate than that was again, because I only have 2 years of credit history. I always have the option of refinancing in a couple years with a lower interest payment once I have more credit history. But no, 4.79 is still over a full percent less than the one on the cruze was.

Also, like I said it's difficult to describe. I still like the cruze, it's not a bad car at all. But compared to this, it just didn't feel as nice. If I could explain it better, I could.

EDIT: Also pete, I don't appreciate the snarkiness. No, this will be the last car I purchase until this one is paid off. And I will be paying far over on the payments to pay it off as soon as possible.

Last edited:
4.79 is a bit high, I see 0% on GM dealers all over here and even the high end cars are offering 2%.

I'd try a bank or credit union and see if you can get a better interest rate, and 36 months.

Nice car though.

Are the MT's easy to get on this vehicle? Very cool that it's offered. I like the styling a lot, and that's saying something because I'm not big on the new mazdas.

How heavy are these things? Is 150 HP adequate in your opinion?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
4.79 is a bit high, I see 0% on GM dealers all over here and even the high end cars are offering 2%.

I'd try a bank or credit union and see if you can get a better interest rate, and 36 months.

Nice car though.

Like I said, it's not bad considering I have 2 years of credit history. I will probably refinance it in a year or two and try to get a lower interest rate once I have some payment history on it and more credit history. I could easily have done the 36 months, but I didn't feel comfortable with it.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Are the MT's easy to get on this vehicle? Very cool that it's offered. I like the styling a lot, and that's saying something because I'm not big on the new mazdas.

How heavy are these things? Is 150 HP adequate in your opinion?

3,1-3,200lb roughly for the manual FWD. The AWD Auto like mine is about 3,400. It's not a rocket, but it's more than sufficient for everyday driving, and it has enough low end grunt to satisfy most people.

750? That's a very high credit score. Especially with only having established credit for a couple years. A score like that should get you 0.9% APRs I'd think.

Nice choice. I love the color.
72 months is a long time but if you are making good money pay the car off in 48 months or sooner if you can.

Weren't you headed off to college or the Navy... or am I mistaking you for another BITOG member ?

EDIT: Also pete, I don't appreciate the snarkiness. No, this will be the last car I purchase until this one is paid off. And I will be paying far over on the payments to pay it off as soon as possible.

If I remember correctly, this is your 4th car in what, 4 years or so? I'm just basing it on your past "performance".
smile.gif

Take it easy. Things happen and we end up ditching the cars that we thought we'd own forever. Things happen all the time that derail our plans or we just get bored and want something different/better.

If I remember correctly, this is your 4th car in what, 4 years or so? I'm just basing it on your past "performance".
smile.gif

Take it easy. Things happen and we end up ditching the cars that we thought we'd own forever. Things happen all the time that derail our plans or we just get bored and want something different/better.

The cavalier, the focus which was an emergency purchase when teh cavalier died, and the cruze to get something in my name so I could build credit.I explained in the OP why I'm getting this. Let me put it this way, unless something extremely catastrophic happens, I'm keeping this car for many years.

also something interesting, the dealer is including in the price undercoating, and rust protection for 10 years.

Last edited:

Uh, I make over $3,000 per month. The payment is less than $500. I have my insurance, which is $165/mo. I have no other major bills. So I can't afford this car how...? I just prefer to finance it for longer than shorter.

No offense Nick but you seem like a really good guy falling into the same financial trap I see a lot of other people.

If you make $3k a month with no major bills you should have no problem saving the cash for a car like that, which lets be honest isn't a very expensive car. Trading a Cruze which from your post it seems you were a G note upside down on, in an new car is not a wise decision.

$500 is a lot of money to spend on a car per month, for 6 years. 4.79 or whatever they have you in, is a horrible rate as well.

When you are young and make money with little overhead its wise to save it, because life has a habit of getting expensive. Buying new cars all the time while fun is a great way to prevent yourself from ever having any meaningful assets.

Last edited:

You realize that 72 months is 6 years. Much can happen in that time. And youll be making payments when the car is 5+ years old and has who knows how many miles. That means youll be upside down for a long time.

+1 Can you really afford it? I'm going to guess you're going to spend like $700-800/month including gas and insurance? I guess atleast you don't have huge student loans!
It sounds like you are going to enjoy the car and keeping it for a long time is the only way it makes some financial sense. I hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back