Onan Generator Manual needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a pull behind camper with an Onan generator. He took the carb apart and lost a spring. Well it turns out it is an EPA carb and they dont offer parts for it and only replacment carbs for a pretty hefty price. Any chance anyone on here has a manual for Onan Generator model number 4KYFA26100k. Thanks in advance. Finally I found something i could not find on google.

Thanks Ken, I have found that manual but im really looking for something with a breakout schematic of the carb. From what i read on forums, i need to run across someone that has the manual already as it is not posted anymore. Good idea about the small engine shop.

Ask this guy(Kevin K), he seems to be emailing a copy around.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103465

Found via google

I know some one who has worked at one of their plants for 30+ years, I can ask them later this week if they can dig anything up for this.

As long as it is not a spring for a governor you should be able to find some thing suitable at a hardware store.

jstutz, I am the (bored) Google meister
grin.gif

There are tons of google hits for your model/carburator. I found flstffxe's link yesterday but did't follow up. MANY complaints show up about these carbs plugging up after just short storage periods. Seems that the passages are VERY tiny.

There also seems to be some conflicting info about that carb.. Many RV sites report that the only solution is to replace that carb as it is not cleanable/rebuilable(sp). Others report that cleaning did work.

It seems that older models (pre "spec D") can be rebuilt while the service manual states spec D and later can only be replaced. I am not sure which models the guys claiming to clean/rebuild are talking about. Regardless, some say they ignored the service manual and successfully cleaned them.
21.gif

Did you rebuild yours and lose an internal part, or did you lose an external spring?? I ask for this reason: It sounds like these carbs are replaced a LOT! An RV/Onan dealer probably has tons of bad carbs sitting around. If you can find a GOOD dealer, they would probably give you a replacement spring off a bad carb.

Through an RV site, I found this link (same site as flstffxe's) to your service manual PDF:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85628

Go to the KY service manual link: (section 8, primary engine systems....carburator) Its a long, slow file to load.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

No parts list, though.

A call to an Onan service center should be able to get individual part numbers if none of the above helps. I did this on a Kohler generator carburator. Pain in the hind side because Kohler has proprietary parts/numbers on otherwise common (IMPCO) carbs.

GOOD LUCK.

Guys, sorry for the late response. Thank you very much. With this informationa and talking to a few old dealers, my dad was able to get his generator running great. I believe he does not have a spring that he thought he had. He took the old carp apart and cleaned everything up and now it runs great. Turns out it was just cruddy. The dealers around were ready two charge him hundreds for a new carb because this is not allowed to be cleaned. We its cleaned up and working great. Zero dollars. Agian thanks very much for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back