Lucas UCL fuel treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a trip to WV today and have some good news about Lucas fuel treatment. Before, I noticed that I got a consistent 1 to 1.5 mpg increase while using Lucas in my Dodge pickup, so I thought I would try some in my Cavalier (2002 model, 2.2 pushrod engine, 5 speed manual trans. 11,000 miles)for this trip. The car got 39 mpg. I check the mileage frequently and usually get 35-36 on the same trip. Has anyone had similar experiences, and do you know if this product actually cleans injectors and carbon deposits like it is advertised to do? I use it about once every 2,000 miles as a preventive maintenance.
cheers.gif

I have been using it for over two months now. Started with the 5oz bottle and got excellent results and good mileage. Purchased the gallon jug at NAPA and have been using a 3oz maintenance doze on every fill-up. Still good results and mileage. Going to use it on the wife's van now.

Pedro

I've used the Lucas FI cleaner and liked it but aren't you guys worried about diluting your engine oil?

I think I read once that you shouldn't use FI cleaners more than twice per oil change...?

patriot.gif

[ June 03, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: GSV ]

Lucas UCL imo is a safe every-fill up system lube and cleaner. 3-5oz/tank : assuming a 16gal capacity is more than adequate

You were wise to buy the 1-gallon jug to save money for the long term.

Techron and BG44K are much more aggressive.

Correct me if im wrong but, if your 2.2L chevy motor is an ECOTEC, then its a DOHC engine and not pushrod. Its actually a very well designed motor, exp. for turbocharged applications. course, its destroked to 2L in turbo apps like the Vauxhall Astra turbo (nice car too bad GM doesnt sell it here instead of the cavalier IMHO), and makes 180-200hp. Also see Saab engines in the new 9-3 as they use them also.

Its a good engine for sure though!

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
I've used the Lucas FI cleaner and liked it but aren't you guys worried about diluting your engine oil?

I think I read once that you shouldn't use FI cleaners more than twice per oil change...?

patriot.gif

i heard that as well...about 500 miles before my oil change i put lucas fuel additive in there. that way most of it will be carried away by the old oil...

To answer Chris Jefferson's question, there were two 2.2 engines available in 2002. The base engine was the pushrod type (which is no longer available for the 2003 models), the other was the Ecotech. I have the base engine in mine. After reading about the Ecotech, however, kinda wish I had that one.
cheers.gif

Is it okay to put Lucas UCL or Neutra in a spray bottle and spray it into the throttle body to clean the piston rings and piston top, as well as act as a UCL?

-Dustin

quote:

Originally posted by MilanoG2Teg:
Is it okay to put Lucas UCL or Neutra in a spray bottle and spray it into the throttle body to clean the piston rings and piston top, as well as act as a UCL?

-Dustin

I can only speak for the neutra 131. Yes, you can.

I take a direct vacuum off the plentem, put a hose in the bottle and carefully put it near,not on!, but near the vacuum and let it such in from the bottle a light spray so not to hydro-lock. This spray will go through the intake directly and black smoke will bellow out if you have carbon buildup in the system.

Since I run 131 all the time in my fuel because it provides a lubricant to my injectors, helps keep water from doing any damage by rusting the injector internals, and keeps the sulphuric acid carbon deposits neutralized, I did not see any black smoke out of mine when I did that. Now, my buddy, who is a toyota and ase master mechanic, did it to his the same time, his poured out black smoke. We both thought that was interesting. I plan on putting a bore scope in the cyls but haven't had the chance yet. Wish I could find one that would allow for camera shots.

[ September 10, 2003, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back