Joe Gibbs FR20. Just for mods and hemis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found the next oil I want to try (after my M1 awaiting..).
Joe Gibbs designed FR20 for Ford mod motors and new hemi motors.
What I have read:
FR20 features a high zinc content to protect aggressive cam profiles, and the advanced synthetic formula delivers high temperature protection from viscosity breakdown.

FR20 delivers enhanced film thickness as well as increased anti-wear additives for high output Ford Modular and small block Hemi engines.

Supposed to have extra zinc and extra film thickness. Also provides high temperature and high shear protection.

They say it's especially good for supercharged mod motors ( you know how well mods make power with forced induction. They love boost.

Think all this is hooey? Or something worth looking into?

I lose respect for Joe Gibbs every time I read his advertisements this sounds like a snake oil salesman. It seems to be a good oil but not so good to warrant the prices.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, at $132 per case of 12, at least it isn't as appalling as the other Gibbs products.

Yeah that is just Royal Purple at auto parts price territory.

Maybe he should stick to oils/lubes for the auto company HE reps/promotes/shills for?!!
lol.gif

It doesnt sound like it would just work for the Ford and Dodge engines if it has those good qualities. Why not use it for other hi-perf engines. But then the VOA of the regular Gibbs oil I have seen didnt really show it to be anything special for the price of it.

Wow, it's been more than a year since I've been on Joe Gibbs' website. They have added a lot of products since then. They're going after a lot of niche applications.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
His thinking is in the right direction, esp if you need a break in oil .

The right direction for his pocket book, perhaps? With plenty of oils north of $20 a litre, I'll stay far away.

I don't doubt the need for extra zinc in a lot of applications. I don't doubt the value of a break in oil for appropriate applications. However, his oils are a niche oil to the point that they make RP and Red Line look like SOPUS.

For a very expensive high output engine, his products may have merit. Even then, there are alternatives. Does LeMans series use his oil? Formula 1? Indy? Even NASCAR?

The thing is, his statements don't indicate that he's only interested in selling to racers. Sorry, I'm not dumb enough to buy his $20 a litre stuff for my newly rebuilt flat tappet Ford 300. I don't doubt it would work, but for the price of two oil changes, I could change my cam and lifters out, and I think my cam and lifters would last longer than two OCIs on even the lowest ZDDP SN/GF-5 oil I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back