DIY Home Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my buddies (another BITOGer) decided to "build" a lift in his garage in order to lift a G35 up high enough to do a clutch job.
shocked.gif

6f88aa2b.jpg

17a05deb.jpg

edc57704.jpg

828597c1.jpg

As long it's on level ground and no freak accident is waiting to happen then I think it's somewhat safe.

Looks like something I wouldn't trust but then I wouldn't trust those chassis lifts either. Google "vehicle fell off lift". Makes me feel queasy.

It's not as bad as it could be, and probably not too bad at all.

However, when supporting stuff on "dunnage", it's important that the slabs are "crisscrossed" Jenga Style.

I assume that he "zig-zag jacked the thing up there, and it should be realised that when doing that there is a longitudinal thrust that could cause the blocks in pic 1 to "spit" away from the wheel block

I would add additional jack stands to the front instead of relying on the suspension and tires. When the transmission is pulled the car is going to get lighter and the suspension is going to react to that.
Most of the chassis lift failures are from user error. Lifting from the wrong points, not using stands when replacing major components, or using stands then forgetting to remove them...

Originally Posted By: The Critic

6f88aa2b.jpg

Man that's a lot of expensive 4x10" (or 4"x12"?)Shannow has a point on the grain alternating in the lumber stack.

The thing that bugs me are the stacked polymer pieces - "Race Ramps" - are they designed to stack like that?

Yeah that is a bit scary. No way id want jackstands up that high.

I'd be making stuff out of 8x8 because I've seen movers move a lot of big, heavy stuff with those.

Be careful!

cris-crossed 2x4 spaced and nailed would be a MUCH better and safer (and lighter) way to go. And just as strong.

I get the feeling the 2x10s are not nailed together, just stacked.

Originally Posted By: Donald
cris-crossed 2x4 spaced and nailed would be a MUCH better and safer (and lighter) way to go. And just as strong.

I get the feeling the 2x10s are not nailed together, just stacked.

Looks like 4x's to me. Either way, plenty strong just laying flat like that.

I'm not a fan of the corners of those jack stands being only about an inch from the edge of whatever they're on. Puts a little pressure down.

I've pulled engine/transmissions, subframes, done clutches etc with only a pair of walmart 3 ton jack stands under the front door hinges and rocker panels. Why does this car have to be so high? Maybe that cat that came off is a clue?

I'd rather be on my back on a creeper than some half-man height scrunched over guy, but if it works for him (or her
lol.gif
) I can't judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back