What to look for in used washer / dryer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents bought another foreclosed home to put into rental. After 4 months of work fixing all the broken stuff, they made the mistake of throwing away some old looking (but fixable) washer and dryer, and offer me a new set of those fancy front loading / beautiful set and take my old, reliable ones.

I declined their offer because I would rather keep an old reliable ones than worrying about fancy electronics. So now I'm in the market for a set of durable and not too old units.

The washer must be top loading, because you cannot guarantee the previous owner or the tenant would use HE detergent. The dryer must be electric, because it is more reliable and easier to fix, and less chance of dryer duct clogging related fire. Anything newer than 15 years old would be fine, and I think I should be looking at $200-$350 for the set. Commercial or industrial grade for home use would be ideal, but consumer grade with good track record would also be fine.

Any recommendation (for or against)?

Last edited:
You will probably come across a lot of GE stuff, which is junk, but fairly repairable and would probably actually be a good choice for a rental property.

I got a mid 1990s Hotpoint (when a GE badged GE isn't junky enough) set back in 2009 for cheap. I can't remember how much, but less than $100. Within a couple months my roommate burned up the transmission in the washer, so I found a GE set someone had on CL. They were "contractor special" models from a house that was a few years old. The dryer had a broken control knob, but everything was fine otherwise. I didn't pay much for these...I can't remember exactly how much, but less than $150. I sold the dryer to another guy on CL, and have been using the mismatched GE washer/Hotpoint dryer since with zero malfunctions. My roommate is still an idiot with laundry and everything is holding up fine.

Unfortunately I don't have model #s for these...they are just labeled "Super Heavy Duty."

Here's what I did with the Hotpoint washer after the trans went out...
IMG_0974.jpg

Last edited:
Kenmore has always been a reliable brand....especially the 'Elite' line.

My 20 year old Kenmore finally gave in last September. Checked Craigslist...and a guy had a very little used, 2 to 3 year old Kenmore Elite. Has worked beautifully for the last 8 months. Paid $160....for a $400n plus machine.

Be sure you run it through a full cycle.... BEFORE purchasing.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Kenmore has always been a reliable brand....especially the 'Elite' line.

My 20 year old Kenmore finally gave in last September.

About a year ago, my mom's lime-green Kenmore finally gave up the ghost. I remember my dad and mom purchasing it in about '73 or '74 when I was a kid. This thing went through many thousands of loads of laundry as I was one of five kids and lot of my dad's greasy overalls were washed in it. My brother and I hauled it out of mom's wash room and it weighed a ton.
OTOH, I've gone through two Maytag washers in about the last five years. The only reason I purchased them was because a local mom-and-pop store is selling them and I thought I had to help out the local small business. The first one died early and I thought it was a fluke. Never again. My brother knows a bunch about the washing machine business and he tried to warn me.

IMO it isnt the dryers that are the issue, it is the washer.

Ultimate reliability for dryers would be without a moisture sensor. If youre not paying the utilities, I dont see a big deal.

Washers are tougher.

I had wonderful luck with a $150 used Maytag washer & mtaching $100 dryer circa 1982 purchased in 2001.

They still work but I have moved onto Front Loading for the following reasons.

1) compact for new laundry
2) use 10 gallons instead of 40-50 gallons and I am on septic
3) superior cleaning and drying. My electric bill plummeted $20/month after this purchase.

The old Maytag set is in my basement idle except for extra large loads.

I'd give them yours and just buy a new top loader washer and drier. They make ones that are relatively simple. They have a guarantee. I think you are making a big mistake, personally.

I've never had a washer or dryer last > 10 years. I would never buy used. They have become throw-away appliances. If they are greater than 5 years old, they aren't worth fixing(unless it's a thermostat on dryer), or buying unless they are $40.

My bother is still on his first set (>20 years) of Maytag, but they don't build them like that anymore. They are single. We have 2 kids, and do a load every day.

Originally Posted By: Al
I'd give them yours and just buy a new top loader washer and drier. They make ones that are relatively simple. They have a guarantee. I think you are making a big mistake, personally.

1st of all I do not have a truck and it would cost something like $70 to haul it around, and 2nd of all I am a believer in infant mortality and if I have something that's working fine as is I'd keep using it till it is worn out. Dad's apartment has a washer dryer that 4 units uses since 1996 and because it is coin operated, we just fix it instead of hunting down a new one.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
My bother is still on his first set (>20 years) of Maytag, but they don't build them like that anymore.

That's my concern of getting the relatively new ones.

Our washer and dryer are well over 20yrs old now. Still running like a champ! I believe they are Maytag.

We needed a simple repair last year and the repair guy told my parents to never upgrade to newer models. That he fixes more brand new washers/dryers then he has any of the older ones with his 10+ years of experience doing repair. And of course he said, they don't make them like this anymore
laugh.gif

we just bought a brand new Samsung top loader HE 4.7 cu for 719 bucks. the house we bought in 2010 came with a kenmore oasis elite HE that was junk from the beginning. the bearing started leaking grease on the floor two weeks ago and it was $250 part for the tub/bearing. so we bought new. I looked at craigslist, tons of washers/dryers for around $400. I was weary of very old washers and of front loaders. we also didn't have a truck to transport it.

Last edited:
Purchased a new set of Maytags in 06, just this year the washer belt started to squeal after hundreds of large loads. I wont wash nothing less than a large load of wash-no ifs ands or butts!! Dryer works fabulous but does not see much use during the summer. Reason I bought the Maytag brand was my Grandparents got a new washer in 1970 & when my Grandmother passed away in 98, the washer still run acouple loads per week with just changeing some belts thru the years.

I am by no means an expert but Whirlpool direct drive washers (and their clones Kenmore, Roper, Estate, Inglis, etc.) are durable and easy to fix if necessary. When buying used run it through the fill and spin cycles and listen for clunking or the pump squealing. When the spin cycle ends see if the drum keeps spinning..if it does the brake is worn. Lift it up from the front and check under the cabinet for rubber shavings from the coupler or transmission fluid sprayed on the inside of the cabinet.

I resurrected a direct drive Whirlpool a year or two ago after my front loader took a dump after 7 years. After researching front loaders I probably will not buy another one. Most have aluminum brackets holding the baskets that become weak for a variety of reasons and eventually break. You need to rip everything apart to replace and the parts are super expensive. Also too many electronics to go bad.

Don't know anything about electric dryers.

I would look at either Whirlpools or pre 1995 Maytags if I were buying used. Before buying used, I would probably look at new basic top loaders, and avoid anything with electronics in it.
I have a 19 year old set of Maytags I bought new. The only thing that I have ever done to the washer is a new belt after year 14 and the dryer still keeps on going without issues. I'll run them until they are DOA and can no longer be resuscitated.

Im still using an early 80's Kenmore washer & late 70's Speed Queen dryer. No plans to change...though a modern HE frontload washer is tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back